Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#177104 - 07/21/09 03:59 PM In Car Fire Extinguishers
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
We've talked about them for home and now it's time to make sure you have one in your car that is RATED for use one electrical, and fuel fires.

These type of Fire Extinguishers are more $$ but can be useful to stop a blaze from overtaking your entire car if you get to them fast. If not, then just step away.

I suggest getting one that is rated for your car, but also can be used on a brush fire too. Only get 2 if you can tell the apart in an emergency.

#177111 - 07/21/09 04:50 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Todd W]
thatguyjeff Offline

My Pops always told me that the fire extinguishers in the car/boat were not to put out your own car/boat fire, they were for the other guy's.

I mean, cars can be engulfed really fast and I doubt I'm going to be digging around for the exinguisher as much as getting myself and my 3 yo unbelted and the heck out of there.

I agree though that having them is a good idea, just for different reasons.

#177112 - 07/21/09 04:52 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: thatguyjeff]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Interesting.

I totally disagree.. maybe that's because I've seen several small electrical fires ranging from under the dash in boats and cars to small engine/hose fires on boats.

Usually you can tell if it's small, or rapidly taking over the vehicle use your own judgment to put it out or get away as soon as possible.

#177114 - 07/21/09 05:39 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Todd W]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
In a boat, your worst enemy is fire. Jumping into the water is not always an advisable alternative. Fighting the fire, even if you are left with a burnt out floating hulk, can be preferable to hopping in the drink. Hypothermia, drowning and marine life can all cause problems.
In a car, I would think it is a good idea, but more so for the other guy. If I have evacuated my vehicle and its occupants are safe, I say let it burn. That's why I pay insurance. I would rather wait for the settlement check at home than in the burn ward undergoing skin grafts.

#177118 - 07/21/09 06:16 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Tarzan]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Normally I say let 'er burn too. But from the What If Dept, over the weekend 2 off duty firefighters rescued a 4 year old from a burning SUV. From the video it seems clear that a fire extinguisher on its own wouldn't have knocked down the flames entirely. A fire extinguisher *might* have provided some supplemental fire suppression and prevented the child from being burned as badly, then again the real struggle was to get him and the others out of the vehicle. In other words - if I were there, I might have directed my auto fire extinguisher to suppress flames, then again if there was room to help haul the kid out quickly I might also have dropped the extinguisher to help out. No quibbles from me with what they did to rescue - split second decisions to effect rescue literally from the flames. There is full video of the incident and an interview of the firefighters up on MSNBC. Pretty intense stuff. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32006584/.

#177119 - 07/21/09 06:30 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Lono]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I saw the video earlier today on TV. Kudos to the off-duty firefighters for their heroic, lifesaving action.

#177138 - 07/21/09 08:31 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Tarzan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Tarzan
In a boat, your worst enemy is fire. Jumping into the water is not always an advisable alternative. Fighting the fire, even if you are left with a burnt out floating hulk, can be preferable to hopping in the drink. Hypothermia, drowning and marine life can all cause problems.
In a car, I would think it is a good idea, but more so for the other guy. If I have evacuated my vehicle and its occupants are safe, I say let it burn. That's why I pay insurance. I would rather wait for the settlement check at home than in the burn ward undergoing skin grafts.

That's very true about boats I hadn't thought of that side of things (critters in there).

-Todd

#177182 - 07/22/09 03:05 AM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Lono]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Lono
Normally I say let 'er burn too. But from the What If Dept, over the weekend 2 off duty firefighters rescued a 4 year old from a burning SUV.

I do believe somebody did have an extinguisher but I think they were using it while they were extracting the little boy, plus some garden hose.

If somebody had a reasonable size extinguisher, they could have either knocked down the flames right away before it got that large or at least bought them a few more seconds. While watching the video I was hoping that they weren't going to try spraying the gasoline fire with it because that wouldn't have done much good.

2 off-duty firefighters without a knife between them! Oops!
One fellow mentioned that he normally carries one but didn't for some reason that day. His brother got a knife out from his vehicle to cut the seat belt.

I'm going to have to remind my nephew of this - he's a smoke jumper in northern Alberta - always carry a knife! Even off-duty.

Edited by Roarmeister (07/22/09 03:08 AM)

#177191 - 07/22/09 04:05 AM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Roarmeister]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Just one of those days... sometimes I forget the knife when I`m in a hurry and frankly I feel naked with out frown It's become a habit of checking for my knife when I check for my wallet (patting).

#177202 - 07/22/09 10:48 AM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Todd W]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I keep halon (or whatever the replacement is to halon) extinguishers in each car within reach of driver belted in the seat. I've seen too many incidents working at race tracks over the years to do otherwise. I like the halon as it avoids the caustic powder mess if you are only dealing with a small fire.

Whatever you do, if you carry an extinguisher in a car, use a mounting bracket. One designed for mobile applications, not a cheap plastic wall hanger. A fire extinguisher becomes a lethal missile in a collision.

Craig.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 275 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.