Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#177404 - 07/23/09 03:16 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: KG2V]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thru years of carrying EDC stuff, we realize that there is a time and place for this or that tool. Everyone mileage is different. But I think there are times when a knife is better or more convenient, and there are times when multitool is preferable.

At home when I am working on my DIY projects, I only need a tool for cutting and prying. Anything else needed, I have toolboxes loaded with single dedicated tools which can handle screwing or other tasks better and safer than a multitool. So, a knife or two stay attached to me (belt or pocket)at all times.

OTH, when I am visiting clients, friends or neighbors, I carry a multitool only. Even if I need to cut something, they won't freak out seeing a multitool coming out of my pocket .. and then seeing its blade. I have never needed a folding knife to cut an apple because if I meet them in my office, their homes, or in a resturant, knives are always available for apple cutting.

#177440 - 07/23/09 09:45 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: Chisel]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
I EDC one or the other, not both. I have LM and Gerber Multi-pliers, and a variety of SAK's and other folding utility knives. I have found over the years that I seldom use the blade, but regularly use the other tools. So when I carry the LM or Gerber I leave the pocketknife at home. When I carry the pocketknife, usually to a "function" where I won't need the LM, I leave the multi-tool at home.
One or the other, but don't leave home without at least one of them.

#177475 - 07/24/09 08:53 AM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: EdD270]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: EdD270
...snip... When I carry the pocketknife, usually to a "function" where I won't need the LM, I leave the multi-tool at home.
One or the other, but don't leave home without at least one of them.

Heh on the no leatherman to a function. I don't even carry the Sebbie to those - I have a rather nice, custom made Gent's knife that is strong, solid, and VERY nice looking (also a LOT more expensive) - It's waiting to be engraved - just waiting on the budget
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#177520 - 07/24/09 05:21 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: KG2V]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
When I was a lowly grunt I carried a sheath knife, a folder, a swiss army and a leatherman. Ok, maybe a wee bit of overkill there. Lately I am carrying a bare bones officer SAK and haven't found anything it really can't do, altho there are things I wouldn't do with it, like pry.

OTOH - My BOB has a woodsman pal, a leatherman wave, a gerber Command II(smaller boot sized knife, single blade but top edge is serrated for 2 inches, out of production at this time) and a SAK outdoorsman. And a small pry bar. And an E-tool.

When the fecal matter hits the air movement device, I want to have a selection so that I have the right tool for the job handy. Isn't that really what it's all about.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 510 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.