Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#177292 - 07/22/09 07:20 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: massacre]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree. The TTi is a great multi-tool, but a dedicated locking folder is a better knife. The knife blade on my TTi has never been used, too many other good knives available. It is a back-up and will stay a back-up.

#177301 - 07/22/09 07:52 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: KG2V]
CAL Offline
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere between lost and fou...
I have a very large collection of knives. When Hurricane Katrina was headed my way I decided that I spent a lot of money on a Sebenza so I would have a good, hard working knife. That Sebenza went in my pocket. The first thing I did with it was cut my way out of the house after the storm. I have carried it every day since then. The multi tools are in my bags.

Great knife and I use it for everything...except prying

#177313 - 07/22/09 09:12 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: CAL]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
In day-to-day life, I carry a Leatherman Juice; when I'm hiking or camping I'll carry my Wenger Ranger. I will often have the other tool nearby in a backpack (either for work or outdoors), but I really only guarantee myself access to one or the other.

I've toyed a bit with the idea of having a second EDC blade, but really couldn't see a need for it other than a SHTF backup.

I don't know if I am making the right choice, but its where I'm at now.

#177357 - 07/23/09 04:14 AM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: Denis]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Most of the time the two knives I have on me are a Benchmade 707 clipped to my pocket and a Victorinox Swisscard Lite in my wallet.

However, my next most commonly carried knife is a Leatherman Charge Ti with the optional pocket clip. Often the 707 will come out of my pocket and the Charge will go in, especially if I'm going somewhere or doing something out of the ordinary. I've gotten a lot of good use out of that tool and I would have no problem carrying it as my only edc blade.

#177363 - 07/23/09 04:40 AM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: Paul810]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I carry a Leatherman TTi and a SOG Twitch. I carry the Twitch mostly because I can open it with one hand easily.

#177368 - 07/23/09 05:44 AM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: GarlyDog]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I consider the Leatherman (mine's a Wave) to be a Jack-of-all-trades Master-of-none. The blade and handling characteristics are terrible compared to my Spyderco folder. The can opener works, but doesn't rival a dedicated one (even the lowly P-38/P-51 type). The screwdrivers are quite horrible compared to dedicated drivers. The pliers are actually pretty good, but still not up to even an inexpensive pair of single purpose needlenose.

If you often need all those tools on you and can only carry something small, sure, the Leatherman is great. But, given a choice, I will ALWAYS reach for something better (a single purpose tool) if one is even remotely available. With all the tools on the Leatherman, when I used to EDC one, I found that the only tool I routinely used was the knife. So now I just EDC ... a knife. The Leatherman has been relegated to my EDC bag, which is usually close to me (maybe in the car), but not always ON me.

#177383 - 07/23/09 10:45 AM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: haertig]
redwing Offline
Stranger

I could get by with just a Wave, but I carry that on my belt. Carrying a folder in my pants pocket is quicker and more convenient - I deploy the folder without really thinking about it. But I can't think of a time when the Wave blade wouldn't have done the job at work or at home.

I just know I'd get annoyed if I couldn't just reach and flick to make a quick cut.

#177385 - 07/23/09 10:57 AM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: redwing]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Yup, Leatherman Wave or Juice and folder for quick deployment just like everyone else here. The new Benchmade Barrage assisted opener really excels in the quick deployment catagory.

Craig.

#177386 - 07/23/09 11:12 AM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: celler]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Maybe its because its early in the morning, but I'm struggling to understand the original post.

Are you asking if its OK to swap out the Sebenza and start wearing a LM on your person? If so, by all means!!! ... if that meets your needs and is comfortable.

Are you asking if its OK to stop wearing the Sebenza on your person, and instead carry a LM in a bag? If so, NO!!! ... you should really be carrying the blade on your person.

Are you asking if the LM is as "good" a knife as the Sebenza? If so, that's apples and very nice oranges ... two different tools for different uses & needs. Neither one is innately better than the other if they meet your needs.

#177391 - 07/23/09 11:53 AM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: KenK]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: KenK
...snip...
Are you asking if its OK to swap out the Sebenza and start wearing a LM on your person? If so, by all means!!! ... if that meets your needs and is comfortable.

Are you asking if its OK to stop wearing the Sebenza on your person, and instead carry a LM in a bag? If so, NO!!! ... you should really be carrying the blade on your person.

...snip...

No, what I'm saying is - I've been carrying BOTH - the TTi, and The Sebbie. I've found that I RARELY use the Sebenza - so I'm thinking of moving it to the "backup - it's in the backpack" role, and moving down to just carrying the TTi

BTW folks - I had a Wave, I had other leatherman tools - the TTi is the first one that has a blade good enough that I've considered making that change! I've carried everything from cheap slipjoints (when I was in my teens and regularly went to non knife friendly places) Up to hand engraved customs, and high end custom talonite tactical knifes as my EDC blade (I really really don't want to think about how much I've spent on knives over the years)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 518 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.