The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#177241 - 07/22/09 03:07 PM Re: Suprise, you're a diabetic! [Re: KG2V]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
After several days of emotional rollercoaster [anger, sadness, etcetera] I decided that diabetes is just a circumstance, kind of like an unexpected hill to climb. Reading menus is just a different kind of game.

I am testing before each meal and my numbers seem to be trending lower [between low 200's and low 100's]. The vegan thing turns out to be pretty easy most days and most places.

Looser clothes would seem to indicate weight loss. Exercise is still a challenge; if money gets better I will resume walking and playing golf courses a few times a week.

New project: vegan survival in the wild.

Thanks for the support, folks!

#177308 - 07/22/09 08:47 PM Re: Suprise, you're a diabetic! [Re: dweste]
HerbG Offline

You are very lucky that your diabetes has been diagnosed and you can do something about your condition! It is not the end of the world and with proper management you can live a long and productive life.

One suggestion that may be of some help to you. Many hospitals offer one or two day diabetes workshops that give you a lot of information about your disease and how you can best cope with it. These workshops are often free or offered at low cost. They usually spend a lot of time on food selection and preparation and how to avoid potential pitfalls. I strongly suggest attending one of those workshops rather than reading a book and taking off on your own. There are also tons of online recipes and meal preparation tips that can be helpful.

Also keep the doctor who is managing your diabetes fully informed about your condition and what you are doing to manage it. You will do great!

#177458 - 07/24/09 02:40 AM Re: Suprise, you're a diabetic! [Re: HerbG]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Been online quite a bit. Still looking.

Local hospital disappointoing - "we don't have a dietician with a diabetes focus."

Cinnamon has been a surprisingly widely touted addition to a diabetes fighting diet.

#177474 - 07/24/09 08:48 AM Re: Suprise, you're a diabetic! [Re: dweste]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I'm NOT sure of my local Hospital, but when I was diagnosed, I looked at my medical plan, plus looked around for an endocrinologist who specialized in Diabetes (not all do) and who had a certified diabetes educator on staff. It was a good move

BTW - The term "diabetic" is VERY VERY Non-PC in certain crowds - it's "Person with diabetes" - 'I am not the disease I have'

I call myself a diabetec
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#177477 - 07/24/09 10:37 AM Re: Suprise, you're a diabetic! [Re: KG2V]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
I'm NOT sure of my local Hospital, but when I was diagnosed, I looked at my medical plan, plus looked around for an endocrinologist who specialized in Diabetes (not all do) and who had a certified diabetes educator on staff. It was a good move

BTW - The term "diabetic" is VERY VERY Non-PC in certain crowds - it's "Person with diabetes" - 'I am not the disease I have'

I call myself a diabetec

Also: Diabetes is a condition. It is not a disease!

#177480 - 07/24/09 11:03 AM Re: Suprise, you're a diabetic! [Re: dweste]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: dweste

Cinnamon has been a surprisingly widely touted addition to a diabetes fighting diet.

There are a number of OTC supplements that are claimed to "cure" or "reverse" or otherwise have some beneficial effects. Any particular one may or may not help. This is where frequent testing comes in. If you take one of the supplements, and can't see any effects on your readings, you may want to question if it really is doing anything, especially as some of the supplements can get pricey.

I tried some the first year or so I was diagnosed and found, at best, a less than 10 point reduction in my sugars. Helpful, but a long way from a cure. Eventually, they stopped having any effect.

None are a substitute for all of the things you already know you have to do.

#177505 - 07/24/09 03:01 PM Re: Suprise, you're a diabetic! [Re: Todd W]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Todd W
$9 w/free amazon prime shipping 2day smile
Not bad!

http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-Eater...0730&sr=8-1

Good reviews too.

I may give the book a go, and see if I can change my eating habits too... I mean what's healthy is healthy!

Started reading this book.

Seems like it will be good for sure.

#177508 - 07/24/09 03:05 PM Re: Suprise, you're a diabetic! [Re: bws48]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: bws48
Originally Posted By: dweste

There are a number of OTC supplements that are claimed to "cure" or "reverse" or otherwise have some beneficial effects.

I tried some the first year or so I was diagnosed and found, at best, a less than 10 point reduction in my sugars. Helpful, but a long way from a cure. Eventually, they stopped having any effect.

Was cinnamon among the things you tried?

#177585 - 07/25/09 10:42 AM Re: Suprise, you're a diabetic! [Re: dweste]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I tried cinnamon, but did not find it had any detectable effect on my numbers or how I felt. I tried several other OTC things, the names I don't recall, with similar lack of success.

There was one that helped. I used chromium picolinate for about the first 2 years after I was diagnosed, and then it lost effect. The way it works is to help your body use the insulin it is producing more efficiently; e.g. lower the body's resistance. I did notice an improvement in my numbers and how I felt when I was on it and it was working, so I would say it is worth a try and see how it works for you. YMMV.

The little known fact (among many type 2 diabetics) about type 2 diabetes is that it is progressive, and eventually the insulin resistance that is your initial problem (but the body is still producing lots of insulin) may/can turn into a loss of the body's ability to produce insulin in the first place. The exact reason for this effect is, to my knowledge, unknown. In my case, my body lost over 90% of its ability to produce insulin, so no matter how "efficient" the use is, there was not enough to go around.

The speed and severity of the progression is very individual, and a person can improve if diagnosed early, and/or hold the progression at bay for years by doing the right things. But it is still a lifetime condition.

#177655 - 07/25/09 09:40 PM Re: Suprise, you're a diabetic! [Re: dweste]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I'm glad you found out about your diabetes before something really serious happened. I think a couple of the most crazy "world's scariest police chases" I have ever seen on TV involved drivers impaired by their diabetes (never really mentioned whether their blood sugar was too high or low).

I think you're on the right track with your attitude about what to do. The end-all-be-all isn't the blood sugar, A1C or any other measure. Although excess blood sugar causes all the kinds of problems, just popping a pill to lower your blood sugar number isn't really a solution. Just like removing excess fat using liposuction from someone with an awful lifestyle doesn't address the root problems.

Diabetes is the result of a lot of different things getting out of whack in your body. It likely took years of gradual changes to get that way and it could take a long time to really get to where you want, but I think it is well within your means. In my own case, I was surprised to be told that my blood pressure was high (149/95 the first time) and it took a number of years, but I've brought it down under 120/80 without resorting to any meds. It improved part way fairly quickly, then I couldn't seem to improve it for a very long time until it suddenly dropped again, so don't be discouraged by plateaus or setbacks along the way. Stay focussed and I think you'll meet your goals.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 469 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.