Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#176817 - 07/19/09 02:11 AM Re: coffee serve practical purpose in survival [Re: scafool]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: scafool

It sure beats running in circles and shouting panic.

Where's the fun not doing that!!! laugh

#176932 - 07/20/09 06:30 AM Re: coffee serve practical purpose in survival [Re: Todd W]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

We once fought off anaphylactic shock with coffee and diphenhydramine. One of our hiking buddies was allergic to bees but forgot his kit with the epipens. He got stung by a bee, turned white as a sheet, and collapsed in under a minute. A minute or two later he was having trouble breathing.

We got by by dosing him with diphenhydramine, four tablets, 100mg, to start with as I remember it, and a pot of wickedly strong coffee. Given the materials we had on hand this was the combination advised by an EMT who happened to be on the trip with us. In a couple minutes we had coffee up and had pounded the benadryl to powder so it would absorb faster. We fed him the powder mixed with water and chased it with as much coffee as he could handle. The caffeine is supposed to speed up the absorption of the benadryl and should have been at least marginally effective on its own.

An hour later he was looking better and even walked a bit after we had carried him most of the way out. He got into the ranger's SUV on his own.

Strong coffee also helps with asthma attacks. It isn't near as strong or as reliable as an inhaler so it isn't a substitute but in an emergency it can make a difference.

Coffee grounds used as a moist poultice can help take the sting out of blisters and minor burns. Has to do with the tannins in the coffee.

Strong coffee can have a paradoxical calming effect on people with ADHD. I have seen this effect. The kid is all over the place but four cups of coffee later he is able to sit still.

Nicotine has long been known to have a mellowing effect on the symptoms of schizophrenia. Many schizophrenics smoke as a form of low-cost self medication. Some suggest high doses of caffeine may have a similar, but milder, leveling effect. If it is all you have to work with it might be worth a shot.

Coffee, don't leave home without it.

#176933 - 07/20/09 10:10 AM Re: coffee serve practical purpose in survival [Re: Art_in_FL]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

Strong coffee can have a paradoxical calming effect on people with ADHD. I have seen this effect. The kid is all over the place but four cups of coffee later he is able to sit still.

Not so strange - almost every drug for ADHD is a serious stimulant!! (as in controlled substance level)

There is some evidence that ADHD is really caused by one part (gad, I can't remember what part) is already running as if it's on stimulants, and the part for impulse control is NOT. The therory is that by dumping stimulants into the person, you speed up the part of the brain that does impulse control to match the other part

Disclaimer - My son has ADHD, and I really should have my info more at hand, but I don't. He is gradually getting himself under control more and more without his meds, which is fairly common
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#176943 - 07/20/09 12:42 PM Re: coffee serve practical purpose in survival [Re: picard120]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

can ground coffee be used to start a fire?

#176945 - 07/20/09 12:50 PM Re: coffee serve practical purpose in survival [Re: picard120]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
"can ground coffee be used to start a fire?

Yes, though not very efficiently. Better if it is used a couple times then dehydrated in an oven.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.