The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#176755 - 07/18/09 05:45 AM Re: Traveler-ER USB flash drive [Re: George]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
+1 roadid. I own two of them for my ankle, one black, one red form when I am training outdoors. i am buying the wrist one next for backcountry as I wear long pants for that.

#176758 - 07/18/09 07:58 AM Re: Traveler-ER USB flash drive [Re: comms]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Jeff hit it on the head. I would never stick a USB into the computer on my ambulance (back when I was in the field), even if the computer DID have a USB. Which I don't think it did.

And nowadays, I sure wouldn't stick it onto my hospital computer! No way. I don't care what fancy packaging it came in.

Dog tag, ID bracelet, or wallet card. That's it. If I can't Xerox it and throw it onto your chart, it's no good.

For all the gee-whiz crowd out there, if you want something electronic, there are some things that you can keep your info online, and the bracelet directs the provider to either a website or phone number. That might be a better option, though it still depends on someone sitting down and killing time waiting for the info.

#176764 - 07/18/09 01:34 PM Re: Traveler-ER USB flash drive [Re: MDinana]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Jeff/MDinana, How about using a POCKETMOD? Appropriately labeled it may be useful.

I have a template I used for my master tool bucket list. I'll try to use it to put one together over the next day or two.

#176768 - 07/18/09 03:26 PM Re: Traveler-ER USB flash drive [Re: big_al]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: big_al
Jeff: What do you think of this? Going on trip back east and want to carry my medical information with me.
http://www.americanmedical-id.com/market...utm_term=0D4J03

Purpose-designed USBs have a place, but not for conveying emergency medical information to EMS and ER personnel. Few of these devices convey any info at all without plugging them in first.

The problem is that both security protocols and practical considerations usually prevent the installation of unknown USB devices into our computers during the course of rendering emergency care. However, they are a great way to keep your medical records together, portable and with you.

#176770 - 07/18/09 03:29 PM Re: Traveler-ER USB flash drive [Re: MoBOB]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Jeff/MDinana, How about using a POCKETMOD? Appropriately labeled it may be useful.

Cool idea, but not something that's particularly easy to photocopy and insert into your chart. Still, I like it!

#176772 - 07/18/09 03:39 PM Re: Traveler-ER USB flash drive [Re: Jeff_M]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I did some dinking around with Word. In Word you can make a 2x4 table. Set your margins for whatever your printer allows for minimum. Align the text in the boxes so it is left-justified and "headed" at the center line. It will be sideways. Depending on how you fold your PM will determine how you set-up your page sequencing. When you print it out, cut off the excess margin and fold as normal. It will be a touch smaller, more wallet friendly, than normal. It can be unfolded to copy. Not easy to read, but it is there. Good luck.

#176779 - 07/18/09 05:59 PM Re: Traveler-ER USB flash drive [Re: Jeff_M]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann

The problem is that both security protocols and practical considerations usually prevent the installation of unknown USB devices into our computers during the course of rendering emergency care. However, they are a great way to keep your medical records together, portable and with you.

Ditto. With the added info that in the field, someone with bloody gloves probably doesn't want to be fiddling with a keyboard. And in the hospital, there's never a free computer when you need it (docs, rn's, and the clerks all need one. Usually there's 2 or some ungodly small number free to work with).

My faves? Medicalert bracelet that directs you to a phone number (and usually has the important stuff, like med allergies and life-threatening medical conditions), a folded up paper or purpose-built card in a wallet, or worst case, a tattoo wink

When I get old, DNR in big bold font is going on my sternum.

#176780 - 07/18/09 06:07 PM Re: Traveler-ER USB flash drive [Re: MDinana]
duckear Offline
Addict

No ER is going to load your USB drive into their computer system.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

If you really want to convey emergency info to any ER, try this, but no guarantees

Set up website
Put info you want to share with docs, etc etc
Password protect it
Put web address, password and instructions on medic alert bracelet or dog tag.
Hope for the best.

#176797 - 07/18/09 08:52 PM Re: Traveler-ER USB flash drive [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann

Ditto. With the added info that in the field, someone with bloody gloves probably doesn't want to be fiddling with a keyboard. And in the hospital, there's never a free computer when you need it (docs, rn's, and the clerks all need one. Usually there's 2 or some ungodly small number free to work with).

My faves? Medicalert bracelet that directs you to a phone number (and usually has the important stuff, like med allergies and life-threatening medical conditions), a folded up paper or purpose-built card in a wallet, or worst case, a tattoo wink

When I get old, DNR in big bold font is going on my sternum.

Ahh, the tattoo.

Just before deploying for Desert Storm, several of my soldiers went to the tattoo shop and had their dog tag info put on their chests. When I asked why, their reasoning was that if they were blown apart the dog tags might get lost making them difficult to ID.

My only response was, "You guys have obviously never viewed a charred corpse or a body that has been dead and exposed to the environment for a while, right?"

They later understood what I was talking about after seeing the "Highway of Death".

RIP OBG

#176838 - 07/19/09 11:35 AM Re: Traveler-ER USB flash drive [Re: BigToe]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
As others have said, it's not likely to be useful to medics when you are unconscious. However, it might be useful to you if you are conscious, and it has stuff you can't remember. If some kind of disaster strikes while you happen to be on the road, and you become a de-facto refugee, then there's a lot of information relating to who you are, what you can do, and what assets you own, that can be valuable. The sort of stuff you would want to have on you if you were bugging out.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 554 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.