Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#176349 - 07/14/09 01:30 PM Pak-Lite Review
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Pak-Lite 'Super' is a very simple and very lightweight flashlight (4 grams) and uses a PP3 9V battery (36 grams) and may be suited for PSK emergency kits, rather than EDC. Pricing is around $20 for the Pak-Lite 'Super'.

Size comparison to a Mini Maglite with Nite Ize LED conversion.

The feature which makes the Pak Lite quite outstanding is the run time life of the Pak-Lite quoted at nearly 80 Hours by the manufacturer on the highest setting and 1200 hours on the lowest setting when used in conjuction with the excellent performance of the Ultralife Lithium 9V PP3 Battery (has the ability to deliver an amazing 9 WHrs energy). I suspect that this might be somewhat exagerated though when looking at the discharge curves for the Ultralife.

http://www.ultralifebatteries.com/images/products/U9VLX/U9VL-J-X-BP-charts-lg.gif

I measured the draw current at 37mA on the highest setting so I would expect the Pak-Lite to have a useful runtime life of around 35-40 hrs on the highest output setting. The highest output would be around 12-15 Lumen or around the same output as the Maglite with the Nite Ize LED conversion. (the Maglite has a useful run time of around 12 hrs with standard AA alkaline cells)

The lowest setting drew less than 2mA (less than 1-2 lumen) but was still useful to navigate around a completely darkened room when my eyes were night vision adjusted and to read text from a book or to read from a map.

The Pak-Lite also has an excellent form factor for storage in a rectangular PSK storage case and when it is used in conjuction with the excellent Ultralife Lithium battery has a very long usefull storage lifetime up to 20 years with a self discharge rate of 0.16% per Month. Lithium Cells will also work down to -40C temperatures as well.

The major downside is probably the lack of any waterproofness, although this can be solved by putting the Paklite into a small clear plastic zip lock bag if required.

So to summarise, the Pak-Lite 'Super' is extremely compact, is as bright as the MagLite with the Nite Ize LED conversion but will have the runtime nearly 3-4 times that of the Maglite. Overall there is probably nothing as compact with the same performance run time out there.

The Ultralife Lithium Cell may also have additional uses when used within a PSK. It could also be used as an expedient firelighter when used in conjuction with some fine steel wire wool tinder.

#176356 - 07/14/09 02:18 PM Re: Pak-Lite Review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i have the PAL light version of this so all i can do is say the 9 volt battery on these sort of lights really last.i would check out the PAL light as it's in a rubber case and has a lens that throws a beam.

#176358 - 07/14/09 02:47 PM Re: Pak-Lite Review [Re: CANOEDOGS]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
At first I was like, "How do you put a square battery into a round flashlight?" LOL. Then I saw the light cap on the 9v. haha, never seen one before. To funny. Have to scout one out.

#176365 - 07/14/09 03:44 PM Re: Pak-Lite Review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Thanks for the review. I've seen the Pak-Lite on many gear lists for hiking the Appalachian Trail, often as the only flashlight people bring. One battery is supposedly enough to give you all the light you need for the entire trip.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176370 - 07/14/09 04:54 PM Re: Pak-Lite Review [Re: Blast]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Thanks for the review, I haven't heard of the Pak-Lite before. Looks very interesting. I'd much prefer something more solid for EDC and serious outdoor use but for an emergency light I suppose that little gizmo is hard to beat.

#176377 - 07/14/09 06:00 PM Re: Pak-Lite Review [Re: Tom_L]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
I've heard of them, I would like to touch one, I would likely buy one.
I still think the PAL light is a better choice.

#176381 - 07/14/09 06:41 PM Re: Pak-Lite Review [Re: frediver]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I still think the PAL light is a better choice.

The PAL light probably would make for a better EDC or treking flashlight being more durable whilst offering more lighting modes, but it won't fit into an Altoids sized tin and would barely even fit into a BCB mini mess tin PSK container. The PAL light is also twice the volume and twice the weight of the Pak-Lite for what it ultimately a similar performance. I personally prefer a metal container for my PSK rather than a fabric or a hard or soft plastic pouch container since it gives the option to boil some water even if it was only half a cup.

I guess it is all about the compromises that have to be made for reducing size and weight but still keep adequate performance such that the Pak-lite like the PAL light will keep illuminating on its maximum light output all night long for over a week.

What I'm now currently looking for is a similar scaled device as the Pak-Lite such as a clip on PP3 9V battery device which can be used as a 5V USB power port, so the same battery can be used as an emergency mobile phone charger. One of those would make it into my PSK it if was the same size as the Pak-Lite.

#176444 - 07/15/09 06:11 AM Re: Pak-Lite Review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
timo Offline

I have two PAL's. What is now refered to as the "Survival" version.
They hit the market before Pak-Lites.
I like investgating new light toys so it's not like I'm dissatisfied enough to get a refund but...

A couple of things bug me about PAL's. The "always on" mode in which the led is just barely illuminated seems like a waste of battery life. No other light I can think of has this feature and I've managed to survive without it for decades. It's also a pita to have to toggle through all modes; low, high then strobe just to turn it "off" every time I use it. You're pressing the button four times EVERY time. And even then, it's not really "off". I also have problems with the switch not responding so when I think it's "off" it's really in strobe mode. This could kill a battery in short order if I throw it in my pack and need the light a week later.

My second PAL has a red LED and only has a high power setting. This at least is a savings of button pressing and an elimination of the "strobe?" or "Off?" problem.
But even this one has the "always on" mode.

Since I'm kind of paranoid about battery life and damage caused by possible chemical leakage, I've taken to storing my PAL's with the battery turned around so it's not connected to the terminals. I leave metal band off because this would be yet another pita layer.

On reflection, these are silly things to have to do for a tool that's supposed to be a flashlight. So what's happening is all this adaptive behavior on my part. The tool is not serving me, I'm adapting to it's shortcomings as I perceive them.

I've noticed an expanded product line for PAL lights so some or all of these issues my have been addressed by now. I don't know. If nothing else, the are cheaper than Pak-Lites.

In comparison:
What appeals to me about the Pak-Lite is the switch function. You can switch directly to High or Low. I also really like the idea of the Pilot's version which has both a red and white LED. Strange as it seems there have been a number of occasions when I've needed this very feature. Obviously durabilty could be an issue since there is no rubber case like a PAL but the upside is much smaller size as mentioned by AFLM.
Now if Pak-lite would make a Pilot's version with a glow top and cut the price by about $8.00 I'd jump right in.

#176449 - 07/15/09 08:59 AM Re: Pak-Lite Review [Re: timo]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
I have kept a pak-lite in my PSK for many years now, I started out with the basic then after testing both the original and super I upgraded to the original.

To read the reasons why feel free to read my review.
http://www.pure-survival.com/Pak-Lite.html

#176469 - 07/15/09 02:04 PM Re: Pak-Lite Review [Re: PureSurvival]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
Holy Moly!

I had no idea they were so proud of those little gadgets. I think its a great idea but for over $35 US, I think I can find other options. Or are they just ridiculously expensive in the UK?

Those are prices only a government agency could pay!

Edited by Tarzan (07/15/09 02:06 PM)
Edit Reason: added a comment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.