Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#176202 - 07/13/09 11:44 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: M_a_x]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
A sincere thank you goes to Blast and all others, including participants, who make this forum such a valuable resource. The new sub-forum seems timely and should be very useful. smile

#176207 - 07/13/09 01:13 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Grouch]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Considering the marketing purpose of this forum, it is a great testament to Doug's wisdom that he allows as much open and candid discussion, even somewhat off-topic as he does. By leaving the majority of our content published and open to the public, he fairly gaurantees the integrity of this forum, even thought at times some of what gets posted here may contradict his marketing efforts, it simultaneously makes it a decent platform where opinions and ideas can be freely aired, discussed, argued, and refined. It is this open style that also allows us to get trapped into petty political, ideologic, and egotistic arguments that are at the least distracting, and usually insulting and derogatory, bearing no value for the public or for Doug's business purposes. Perhaps it is a necessary evil, but it is one that can be well managed. A proper moderator will help keep our eyes on the prize, and minimize the abuse of this privilege, keeping this forum respectable and an asset to the owner.

To that end, we can all be stewards of content. A modicum of politics may be germane, if it can stimulate good, productive discussion, but interpersonal challenges, dogmatic opinion, and derogatory or disparaging comments are of no use here. I ended many such discussions by ceasing to respond because there was nothing more to add to my points, and further dialogue would only incite challenge or defense. That list is in the hundreds, and should probably be bigger than it is.

We can certainly make Blast's job easier by minding the tone of our posts and choosing our words with respect. We can disagree with one another, and we can offer our own perspective on an issue, but as mama used to remind me (sometimes with a wooden spoon), watch your tone. It is advice I've tried more and more to heed the longer I've been on here.

#176226 - 07/13/09 02:48 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: M_a_x]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i'm with you one that Blast..as we all know some posts have "red flags" in the title so i don't go there.if a post like that gets just a few hits it's better than a long drawn out back and forth personal hassle..at another site someout put it this way..this was so-and-so's site,it's like going to his home to vist.some people are in the living room looking at knives,some are in the yard putting up tents and others in the kitchen trying out recipes.you treat the site like it's someones home or maybe like this one his office and not a local slezzy bar..

#176231 - 07/13/09 03:06 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: benjammin]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Doug has provided an excellent resource here, and I think there's a lot of benefits to having an open public discussion. In fact, I know I've had my opinions swayed by the professional and dedicated people on this forum I've grown to trust. And I've certainly learned a lot I didn't know or better yet - thought I knew and was wrong.

I don't regularly go to any other sites like this because of the unique qualities found only here. There's sometimes discourse (and sure - a thread gets hijacked now and then), but the moderators have been fair and consistent. I'm happy to have Blast join them as his posts and attitude have always been high caliber and often fun. If you take a look at most forums on the Internet, the Signal-to-Noise ratio here is next to unbelievable.

Thanks to all our moderators and our kind host for continuing to provide and maintain a fantastic resource. I'll continue to support his efforts in spirit and in the real world (read: money!) as much as I am able. I'll start by keeping this in mind: Anything anyone on this forum says may be held against Doug and his efforts in a court of public and private opinion.

#176253 - 07/13/09 04:59 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: massacre]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal

To reinforce what Blast mentioned, I picked up a copy of "GPS for Dummies" at my local book store and right there in the middle of it was an endorsement of Doug and of the ETS website along with a recommendation to check it for more information.

Even the dummies know to come here!

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#176262 - 07/13/09 05:27 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: JohnE]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Glad to hear Your the new moderater Blast, but please be careful.

I don't think anybody want's to see this place blown up! smile

#176265 - 07/13/09 05:42 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Cauldronborn]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Blast, Thank you for both your willingness to moderate and your great perspective in your opening remarks. I never thought about the guests as potentially being some high-powered folks looking for "insight". Also, I would add my hardy "YUP!" to benjammin's comment about tone. Thanks guys.

Blast, again, thanks a ton for your willingness to moderate. I am confident Doug and the Forum will be very well served.

#176285 - 07/13/09 07:19 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Blast,
Thanks a million for stepping up to the plate to help out. I look forward to your seeing things continue on to serve all of us in learning more and keeplng us on target. I have a special gift for you. I am brewing it up as I write this. Will deliver to you soon!
kmat

#176288 - 07/13/09 07:27 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
All is good, the forums are in good hands.

Pete

#176290 - 07/13/09 08:11 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: paramedicpete]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Well stated Blast.

I'm happy to see you in a moderator position and I'm sure you'll do a great job!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 278 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.