Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#176147 - 07/13/09 01:26 AM Words from the sheriff...please read
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I just wanted to remind you all that this may look like just another internet forum but in reality it is much, much more. It is actually the waiting room of a very small company that is trying to convince really big companies to spend their money to keep their workers and customers safe. Doug Ritter works his tuckus off trying to get airlines, cruiselines, railroads, auto manufactures, etc... to try and take safety seriously. Meanwhile he's graciously allows us crazy people to hang out in his reception area.

Now look over at the "Who's Online" tool, who do you see on the board? Mostly names we recognize, right? Same people day after day...plus (as I write this) 28 guests. Who are these guests? I don't know, you don't know, they could be anybody.

There's a good chance one or more of them is from one of those big companies that Doug is trying so hard to make safer. Why are they checking out this board? Quite likely to find words to use AGAINST Doug. So when Doug is facing them across a government table they can pull out a bunch of knuckleheaded quotes and say, "Why should we listen to this guy? Look at the types of people he hangs out with!"

This exact scenario has happened to Doug a number of times. The fact that he keeps this forum open in light of this is nothing short of amazing.

So what does this all mean? It means that from this moment on I am no longer loyal to a particular religion, race, friend, or political dogma. My loyalty is only to Doug Ritter's dream of making the world a better place. As a moderator my actions will be driven by what is best for the Equipped to Survive Foundation.

As forum participants, I hope you will do the same.

Thanks.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176149 - 07/13/09 01:32 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Many thanks extended to Blast and KG2V! Here's to great things accomplished, and many more to come.

RE: Words from the sheriff - a good reminder, and duly noted.

#176152 - 07/13/09 01:38 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: yelp]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Blast, good point. I never really thought of the Guest section that way. I'm sure in the last 900 or so posts I've probably said one or two things that could have nipped DR a bit. If so, I apologize. And then I thank you Blast for the reminder!

Several weeks ago I had a big lecture on professionalism at work. Guess it's good advice here too.

#176153 - 07/13/09 01:38 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: yelp]
TomP Offline
Journeyman

Blast- I am glad you will be moderating. Each moderator brings a certain style to the party and yours has always been fun and informed.

#176159 - 07/13/09 02:12 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: TomP]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Agreed sir thanks.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#176163 - 07/13/09 02:28 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Good points, Blast.

#176169 - 07/13/09 02:43 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Excellent point, even for those who know it in our heads and don't always remember it in their typing fingers. Those "guests" include everyone from school kids doing homework to people's bosses (or prospective employers if you link here from a blog or some social network) to, as Blast has said, people who we really want to take us as a group seriously. The reason I've hung around is because we aren't stereotype "survivalists".

ETS has always had style and sanity. My mother, a medical librarian who is on the contingency team for her hospital, has used this place. I can't imagine she isn't the only parent/spouse/child of a member to use us as a professional source, and I know a lot of us regulars have as well Even if we are the sideshow in Doug's circus, let's not embarrass ourselves.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#176177 - 07/13/09 03:25 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Thanks Blast, This schould be a BLAST wink haveing you as the Modarator. Also I am looking forward to the new Forum. Put on your star and load up with 6. smile

#176182 - 07/13/09 04:17 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
RoverOver Offline

Loc: Kali4nya
You Definitely have the Right Mind for this position,& I will pledge: NOT to "Point my finger"in Cyber speak as,I so did in my last post.I Apologize to All involved,& to All of whom,Read it! I digress! Hey! where did I learn that? smile

#176199 - 07/13/09 10:55 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
As you are not likely to receive much thanks from forum members who really get aware of your actions as moderator: Thanks in advance and may your job be an easy one.
I will try to behave.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.