Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#175851 - 07/09/09 02:10 AM YET Another Amendment - Need to WRITE AGAIN!
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

OK, I know you're starting to get Amendment and Email Fatigue, but believe me, it is working, or we wouldn't be here to ask again. You are the ones who have made this happen.

Amendment Revising Federal Switchblade Act Introduced, Supported by the Administration.

We’re going to ask you to write yet again, because your letters and emails and faxes are WORKING. Let me explain...

While our primary focus had been on stopping funding for Customs relating to their proposed rule, another track was being worked in the background that would permanently solve the problem. It was initially conceived as a follow-up to the urgently required need to stop Customs dead in its tracks, giving us time to work on a more permanent solution. Late Tuesday evening, even as we were marshaling support for the Cornyn-Wyden stop funding amendment, we received an amendment introduced by Senators Pryor (D-AR) and Hatch (R-UT) that would revise the Federal Switchblade Act (FSA); an amendment that was being supported by Customs.

It was a good start, but was not quite acceptable for a variety of reasons. Knife Rights led an effort to "perfect" the language of the amendment. Working with our attorneys and AKTI representatives late into the night and early morning hours, Knife Rights drafted language that we felt would permanently solve the issue. With the cooperation of AKTI and NRA lobbyists this revised language was handed off to Sen. Pryor who worked to get Customs to accept the revised language. After a concerted effort by Sen. Pryor, a consensus revision emerged that had the support of Customs and was acceptable to Knife Rights and the industry. Late today a new Amendment Number 1447 was introduced by Senators Cornyn, Pryor, Hatch, Vitter, Risch, Chambliss, Corker, Enzi, Barrasso, Graham, Roberts, Wyden and Crapo that adds another Exception in Section 1244 that clearly covers conventional assisted openers and one-hand openers. It's not perfect, but it's good enough and a major step forward. Even better, it is a permanent solution rather than a stop-gap measure.

View the amendment here: http://www.KnifeRights.org/SAmdt%201447.pdf

This cooperative effort has resulted in a bi-partisan amendment that has the critical support from the Senate committees which have responsibility for the FSA and which is endorsed by the Administration (Customs and Border Production have signed off on it). That gives it a very good chance of making it through the process, but first we have to get it voted into the Homeland Security Appropriations Bill.

NONE of this would have occurred without the groundswell of negative reaction to the Customs proposal. Your thousands of written letters mailed to Customs and the thousands more emails and faxes sent to Members of Congress asking them to stop Customs, are what raised the issue to a level where it could no longer be ignored. As the efforts by Knife Rights and AKTI garnered more support from others with more political pull, that led to the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus' letter to Sec. Napolitano. It all added up to a great deal of pressure on Customs to fix the problem. Customs has responded, to their credit.

The coalition of advocacy groups including Knife Rights, American Knife and Tool Institute, National Rifle Association, Congressional Sportsmen Foundation, Second Amendment Foundation, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and others were able to leverage YOUR outrage into an effective political force in a very short time. None of us individually could have done it alone and it would not have happened without the grassroots support you have provided. You deserve to pat yourself on the back for this effort to get it this far. In an age when we often feel like Congress and the Administration simply ignore the citizens' wishes, this is an example of them actually listening to the citizens. YOU made this happen!

Now, we need to get the job finished. The next step is a vote on this Amendment in the Senate. Yes, that means it is time to write again. And, hopefully you'll need to write again to support an effort to get it through Conference Committee. That we are in a position to ask you to do this is proof positive that it works. We have a short and simple letter this time. Please WRITE NOW!

Locate YOUR OWN Senators and their email forms here:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Sample Letter to YOUR Senators (copy and paste into the email form). If your Senator is one of those listed at the end as co-sponsors, change the closing to THANK them for their efforts co-sponsoring this amendment.:

------------------------

RE: Amendment Number 1447 to DHS Appropriations H.R. 2892

Dear Senator [Insert Senator's Name],

As a pocket knife owner, I support Amendment Number 1447 as a fair and reasonable solution to Customs' rulemaking which would expand the interpretation of what a Switchblade is. I am pleased that Customs has endorsed this amendment as a solution.

I strongly urge you to accept Senators Cornyn, Pryor, Hatch, Vitter, Risch, Chambliss, Corker, Enzi, Barrasso, Graham, Roberts, Wyden and Crapo's amendment, Number 1447, to the Homeland Security Appropriations bill.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

[Individual Signature]

----------------------------

Knife Rights on Twitter

Follow Knife Rights on Twitter and receive the latest updates and notices as soon as they occur: http://twitter.com/KnifeRights

Join or Donate to Knife Rights

Your membership dues help support our efforts to protect your rights. Invest a modest sum in A Sharper Future™. Join at the Benefactor level to help us even more. JOIN NOW!

http://tinyurl.com/qnu988

PLEASE DONATE TO SUPPORT THIS FIGHT FOR YOUR KNIFE RIGHTS!

http://bit.ly/Scvp9

Copyright 2009, Knife Rights, Inc.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#175853 - 07/09/09 03:23 AM Re: YET Another Amendment - Need to WRITE AGAIN! [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
OK, I know you're starting to get Amendment and Email Fatigue, but believe me, it is working, or we wouldn't be here to ask again. You are the ones who have made this happen.

I’m not even close to fatigued in sending emails to Congress. Now, if I had to continuously send paper letters though the mail like we did for the direct response to Customs, that would suck. Email, however, I can do all day.

#175899 - 07/10/09 01:00 AM Re: YET Another Amendment - Need to WRITE AGAIN! [Re: JCWohlschlag]
In_Flux Offline
Flashaholic
Stranger

Loc: Arlington, VA
Doug,

I just emailed my VA Senators Webb and Warner with the sample letter above to support 1447.

Does this supersede the need to write regarding the amendment to the Homeland Security Appropriations bill to restrict funding, or is that letter still helpful?

Please let me know.

#175902 - 07/10/09 01:11 AM Amendment Passed in Senate! [Re: In_Flux]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The amendment to the Federal Switchblade Act has passed in the Senate. Next stop will be Conference Committee.

View the amendment here: http://www.KnifeRights.org/SAmdt%201447.pdf

You deserve to give yourself a big pat on the back for this. It was your letters, faxes and emails that led to this success. This amendment will stop Customs' rulemaking and protect your pocket knives with a permanent solution.

Our thanks to Senators Cornyn, Pryor, Hatch, Vitter, Risch, Chambliss, Corker, Enzi, Barrasso, Graham, Roberts, Wyden and Crapo for co-sponsoring this amendment.

We only have one more hurdle, getting through the Conference Committee. Our legislative consultants are already working on that in cooperation with the other advocacy groups and the House members who have been supporting this effort from early on. We should know by early next week what, if anything, we need to do to help that process.

It is never a done deal in politics, until it is actually done. Having said that, we have shown ourselves to be a force to be reckoned with. Right now its time to celebrate our success so far, having overcome great odds to get to this point. We'll be in touch again once we settle on the most effective strategy for the next step.

Thank you again for all your efforts and for your contributions. If you haven't yet made a contribution or become a member of Knife Rights, please consider it now. This success did not come cheap, and we are still not yet done. We still need your financial support.

Knife Rights on Twitter

Follow Knife Rights on Twitter and receive the latest updates and notices as soon as they occur: http://twitter.com/KnifeRights

Join or Donate to Knife Rights

Your membership dues help support our efforts to protect your rights. Invest a modest sum in A Sharper Future™. Join at the Benefactor level to help us even more. JOIN NOW!

http://tinyurl.com/qnu988

PLEASE DONATE TO SUPPORT THIS FIGHT FOR YOUR KNIFE RIGHTS!

http://bit.ly/Scvp9

Copyright 2009, Knife Rights, Inc.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#175911 - 07/10/09 05:38 AM Re: Amendment Passed in Senate! [Re: Doug_Ritter]
George Offline
Stranger

It's not perfect, but it's good enough and a major step forward.

That's great news, but out of curiosity, what would have made it perfect (or better)?

#175926 - 07/10/09 01:18 PM Re: Amendment Passed in Senate! [Re: George]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: George
It's not perfect, but it's good enough and a major step forward.

That's great news, but out of curiosity, what would have made it perfect (or better)?

I'd rather not get into that right now, perhaps when this is all over.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.