Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#175684 - 07/06/09 04:01 PM Heading to Western Canada Tomorrow!
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Folks,

Through an odd bit of luck my youngest daughter and I will be taking a train/rental car trip through the interior of British Columbia and Alberta, Canada.

With my bad knees and my daughter being small for her 12 years of age, we figure this to be just a tourist trip with no major adventures planned. We will do the tram-ways, ice-fields tour, check out the parks, wildlife and museums; just a laid-back scenic tour.

Any tips from those who have done trips similar to this?

Thanks,

Mike

#175691 - 07/06/09 06:56 PM Re: Heading to Western Canada Tomorrow! [Re: SwampDonkey]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I took a 24 hour train trip a few years ago, from New York City to Tampa, Fl. I couldn't afford a sleeper--just the seat. I would have given my eye teeth for a set of noise-canceling headphones, to limit the noise from the other four dozen passengers in the car, while I was trying to sleep.

Edited by UncleGoo (07/06/09 06:57 PM)

#175694 - 07/06/09 07:35 PM Re: Heading to Western Canada Tomorrow! [Re: UncleGoo]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
I took a 24 hour train trip a few years ago, from New York City to Tampa, Fl. I couldn't afford a sleeper--just the seat. I would have given my eye teeth for a set of noise-canceling headphones, to limit the noise from the other four dozen passengers in the car, while I was trying to sleep.

Yep, The only way to travel is sound suppressed. Since parents no long suppress their kid, we have to do it to our ears.

RIP OBG

#175706 - 07/07/09 02:00 AM Re: Heading to Western Canada Tomorrow! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
You have to visit the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper. Take the tracked bus out onto the glacier tongue and have fun. Everytime I go out there I check out the date markers that show the receding face of the glacier. If you're rich, there are helo tours available.

Stay away from the touristy parts of downtown Banff - that's more for the rich Japanese and Germans. Most sane people can't afford the prices. However, downtown Jasper is a steal by comparison and a bit more laid back.

All kinds of great day hiking around Lake Loise, etc.

Interior of BC is great especially this time of year as the fruit gardens are just beginning to ripen!

Lock up all your food and smellables into your vehicle or bear locker. Trust me.

Take in some river rafting on the Fraser river @ Golden - they have full blown hard-core class 4/5 all day rides all the way down to calm half day family trips.

Pay attention to the possibility of wild life (sheep, elk, bears, etc.) on the roads especially near dawn and dusk.

Banff and Jasper tramways are excellent (if you want a heart attack, take the hike up to the Jasper tramhouse!)

Have FUN FUN FUN!

[BTW, Why do you drive on a parkway and park on a drive way???]

#175711 - 07/07/09 06:32 AM Re: Heading to Western Canada Tomorrow! [Re: Roarmeister]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Calgary Stampede is on until the 12th of this month. That's a sight to see.

#175713 - 07/07/09 12:01 PM Re: Heading to Western Canada Tomorrow! [Re: Johno]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
+10 on the Stampede! The best part of my previous job was getting to fly up for the Stampede to "meet with customers". grin The chuckwagon races are amazing and the free breakfasts all over town are pretty nice to. Sucking down Ceasar's at Cowboys, hanging out in the tropical gardens at the top floor of the mall, day trips out to Lake Louise...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#175777 - 07/08/09 02:46 AM Re: Heading to Western Canada Tomorrow! [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the great advice folks.

I never thought about ear plugs for the train, we are stuck in the same seat for 3 days so they will be a valuable item.

We only have a week to tour around and are doing the Kamloops, Jasper, Banff, Revelstoke back to Kamloops sort of triangle. A week just does not allow us the time to take in the Calgary Stampede.

I suspect that after a first look around we will return with the entire family for a longer visit in another summer.

I tryed to keep equipment to a minimum but being a gear-junkie it was difficult.

We leave in 14 minutes folks, wish us luck!

Mike

#178240 - 07/31/09 03:43 AM Re: Heading to Western Canada Tomorrow! [Re: SwampDonkey]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Got back last week from my trip to the Canadian Rockies, it was AMAZING, I want to live out there!

My daughter and I did all the touristy stuff (mountain climbing (small ones), tramways, Icefield Tour, nature walks, gift shopping) in Jasper, Banff, Revelstoke and Kamloops.

I carried basic EDC and limited survival gear but never needed it much in the field. Just used the water, raingear, bug dope, warm clothes and trail food.

The most difficult time I had was the walk from returning our rental car, back to our hotel in Kamloops. The walk was only about 4km so I thought it was no problem. I did not take into account that Kamloops is very hot and that the walk was all up a really long steep hill. I had dropped all of our gear at the hotel so we also had no water with us. After about 3 km I was hot, very, very hot and I was having real trouble continuing. At about 3.5km we came to a fast food place, I went into the washroom and cooled myself down with water. We then drank cool beverages in the air conditioned resturant for about an hour until I was feeling back up to par.

Funny how I had just spent a week climbing mountains and glaciers only to nearly drop in the city from heat, exercise and dehydration. You just never know when a survival situation will happen.

Mike

#178657 - 08/05/09 12:22 AM Re: Heading to Western Canada Tomorrow! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Yeah, BC is a real bear right about now with darn near the whole province under fire warnings and hazards. For some reason the cooler weather and rain has bypassed that province and came to rest on the Rockies and into the Prairies. By contrast, the Prairies have had very few days over 30*. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 124 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.