Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#175238 - 06/24/09 01:09 PM Re: Boy uses Man vs Wild to survive [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
ALL OF YOU:

Stop judging him like he's an adult.

I guess I didn't make it clear that I wasn't judging the 9-year old. I agree with all the comments here about him doing very well. I am very grateful he survived--we had a boy die a few years ago in Utah that was 150 meters from camp when he got lost. This is still hard to handle and for all of us involved in Scouting, and we work harder to prepare young people because of his death.

I agree that this boy could have gotten the "survival" mentality from Bear Grylls. If nothing else, that did help. And heaven only knows that his show is much better than a lot of the stuff on TV today.

Having said that, I've watched a few episodes of Bear Grylls show and it is obvious to me that people could get very hurt following his example.

#175240 - 06/24/09 01:20 PM Re: Boy uses Man vs Wild to survive [Re: Blast]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Blast
Good story. It makes me soften a little on Bear. Yes, he's an idiot but it seems he saved at least one life. I guess though we also need to figure out how many people have gotten hurt or killed mimicking him.

-Blast, who is itching for some woodtime.

Bear is entertainment rather than education, and it might be little unfair to beat him up for it. The kid could have chosen to base his survival plan on Sponge Bob or Jackass, with less favorable results. Most of my early survival training came from Ramar of the Jungle and Wile E. Coyote episodes, which tended to serve me poorly.

#175241 - 06/24/09 01:47 PM Re: Boy uses Man vs Wild to survive [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
ALL OF YOU:
And whilst your at it stop slagging Bear off. If he had been following Les Stroud's advice and done the same thing then you would have doubtless been full of praise for the lad.

+1 on that

#175249 - 06/24/09 03:43 PM Re: Boy uses Man vs Wild to survive [Re: Stu]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
While Bear does go for the spectacular and does often do some very silly things ect.. I will say that if the show saved this boys life and helped him do at least one smart thing to help him get rescued, then the show was worth the cost of production.

Sometimes the best thing a show or a class or a story like Man Vs. Wild can do is inspire.. The show gave the boy enough courage and confidance to survive and that means it did it's job.

#175258 - 06/24/09 06:53 PM Re: Boy uses Man vs Wild to survive [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
The boy specifically stated that he wanted to follow the creek potentially to a lake or other civilization. There really isn’t a much better plan if you are going to be moving than to follow the water.

I'm sure that's sound advice in some terrain. But in others, notably in some mountainous terrain, following a watercourse often leads you into an increasinly steep, dangerous, narrow, thicket-choked ravine, where you are more likely to get hurt and less likely to be spotted by searhers. There are few hard and fast rules.

#175270 - 06/25/09 12:35 PM Re: Boy uses Man vs Wild to survive [Re: Tyber]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

This is typical media hype.

Boy watches Bear Grylls; boy gets lost in woods; boy fails to die. Therefore Bear Grylls saved him!

This is arguing post hoc ergo propter hoc. Was there a single piece of advice from Bear Grylls that led to his survival or rescue? Is there any actual relationship between the show and his surviving?

Stories like this one annoy me.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.