Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#17493 - 07/05/03 03:28 AM Past the Test of Time
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another idea that seems to have had its day and then disappeared is the Shepherds Crook. Waddya think- How about a shortened version- or one with about 50 feet of paracord around it at a handle height?

I am making a prototype of my new staff from a hollow handle of a cheap survival knife expoxyed and pinned to my staff as a handle and then filled with gear- and I can use the thread in the cap to add stuff like a gig, spear, etc. by simply making them threaded to fit.

Another cheap and useful mod to a paracord wrap handle is to place a few split rings - like used for keychains- thru the loops- then they can be used as attachment points for a carabiner - I make mine real modular by placing my spare compass- whistle, lighter, pepper spray, mag block, etc on split rings that I slide over the carabiner-- coupla rubber bands to hold everything close to the stick and voila!

Or a coupla strong rubber bands and i can attach my magellan 330 to my stick- using the wrist band to attach to a split ring for security.

#17494 - 07/05/03 03:53 AM Re: Past the Test of Time
Anonymous
Unregistered

try this.

#17495 - 07/05/03 12:14 PM Re: Past the Test of Time
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally, I love RR's staff. There have been some comments on other forums that bamboo may split or break
under stress and form a nice pungi stick when you are trying to use it to hold your body weight in a decent or when trying to break a fall.

My original inspiration is the Crawford. Machined steel -- I will try to get a link. It only runs $200 or so, but I can make my version for under $20.

http://www.crawfordknives.com/html/survivalstaff.html
RR wraps some bags under his paracord.
I keep my trash bags in a pocket, pouch or fanny pak.

I use the idea of carrying stuff on my dogtag chain (split rings again)--A la his survival necklace- but the rescue saw is not very good. A small hatchet is so much better for firewood gathering and pole making. And I like the altoid tin full of goodies so much better, that I will not abandon it.

The idea is to have a lighter,few meds (aspriin, ibuprofen, benadryl and caffeine), compass, knife and ID in case I cannot speak for myself - with me even in a fall where I may or may not have any of my pack gear--- my necklace, fanny pack and belt are going with me- if I have my pouch, I have a maxi kit.. When I leave camp for a hike or whatever, I tend to carry as little as possible-That is why I like the necklace , pocket and belt loadout.

The fannypck is on Alice clips and often gets taken off because it is uncomfortable to sit or lay down. - same for the belt with canteen and knife, etc-- so having it a mini around your neck and stuff in your pockets makes for good practice.

Edited by Johnny Gizzard (07/05/03 12:18 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 122 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 06:13 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.