Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#174644 - 06/10/09 12:36 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Remember and keep an eye out for the Minnesota Sasquatch. Even if you don't see one you'll know instinctively there is one around. The trick is not to panic when you feel yourself being observed (the little hairs on the back of the neck are a good sign something is watching) from the woods and when you hear the crunching sound of broken twigs together with the musty smell of fear around your camp during the middle of the moonless night. If you do come face to face, throw the Sasquatch your toothpaste tube and make a quick retreat. Otherwise you should be fine. wink

Oh great ... now CanoeDogs won't go.

Wait, that's no Sasquatch, that's DougWalkAbout running around naked!! Throw the toothpaste and cover your eyes!!!!!!!

(Again, no offense to ANYONE. Just havin' fun)

#174646 - 06/10/09 02:37 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: KenK]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Thanks for all the comments.i of course will be careful. i know where i'm going and the problems involved but i never take a real chance,i'll sit in camp and read if the winds are up and i limit myself to one pack on the carrys unlike some guys who carry the canoe and a pack over the portage.my wife has my trip plan and has been around some of these places and knows where i might be camping if anyone needs to find me--"check Mug Lake by Lady Boot Bay,he might be there"..Blast and Doug have the right idea,it's just a canoe trip and will be fun to be out in the backcountry.i have picked up alot of good info here and made some changes in my Ditch Vest from reading over all the posts.
my Doc gave me a clean bill of health a few weeks ago so i'm good to go.the PLB/SPOT issue is something i have mulled over all winter and read and re-read everything here about them,so maybe if i go farther north into Canada i'll take one....and from what i read here about what some of you guys pack just to walk around town i'm sure i'll be safer alone in the woods!!!
i'll post again by the 28th-29th--

#174647 - 06/10/09 02:47 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: KenK]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yup, that's me. Stomping around on big plywood feet to freak out the tourists. It's totally a hoot. ;-)

Seriously, though, if the risks of a trip justify the expense and invasiveness of a PLB, as an absolute last line of defense, by all means take one.

But in assessing those risks, you have to account for critical factors involving the experience, level of judgement, and preparation of the individuals involved. Is the degree of risk acceptable? In many cases, I think it is.

I have to say that all the close calls I've had were on the highway while driving toward wilderness. That's the high risk activity IMO.

#174651 - 06/10/09 03:40 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: dougwalkabout]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Canoedogs,

I don't know your family situation, but you at least have a wife, and that means you have a responsibility beyond yourself now. Were it not available, then it wouldn't be an issue, but since it is, you need to avail yourself of the extra safeguard that a PLB/SPOT provides. Familiarity with the area is not a mitigation. Do the right thing and prepare yourself reasonably. Renting a PLB is an insignificant cost both in terms of gear load and budget. I cannot think of any legitimate argument against doing it.

Otherwise, have a grand ole time!

#174655 - 06/10/09 04:30 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: CANOEDOGS]
moab Offline

Loc: England
Canoedogs,
Sounds like a great trip and one I've looked at from this side of the pond. Your post seems to deal with the potential problems you might face but you decide not to equip yourself with items that can assist the solo wilderness adventurer (plb/spot), which leaves me confused??
Clearly you must prepare as you see fit and I get the earlier posts about "cutting ties etc" but a plb in a dry bag can't interfere with your enjoyment and might just help in that unlikely event (particularly when large mystical animals are trudging round the camp)of you being incapacitated by any number of ways.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
Looking forwards to the pictures.
Have a great trip
Moab

#174656 - 06/10/09 04:44 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: moab]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Have a great trip, I'm envious. As for safety, it sounds like your wife knows the plan -- that and care on your part will go a long way. A Spot would be nice so she can track your progress, but remove all risk and there's no point in going.

Most accidents happen within 25 miles of home. . . cool

#174687 - 06/11/09 12:22 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: Dan_McI]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Nesmuk did it without a PLB.

There are a small group of ocean crossing sailors who do not carry an EPIRB (marine PLB). Their attitude is that I got myself into this so it is nobody else's responsibility to get me out.

bill

#174688 - 06/11/09 12:32 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: benjammin]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Benjammin, just because he, you, I, or whoever have responsibilities, doesn't mean that we all of a sudden have to childproof our lives. If I could use the excuse, I wouldn't do the commute up and down I-95 since that is what will probably kill me. His wife 'appears' to be comfortable with what he does and where he goes as well as his skill level.

#174689 - 06/11/09 12:54 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: williamlatham]
HerbG Offline

Originally Posted By: williamlatham
Nesmuk did it without a PLB.

There are a small group of ocean crossing sailors who do not carry an EPIRB (marine PLB). Their attitude is that I got myself into this so it is nobody else's responsibility to get me out.

bill

The real test is if they wave off the rescue chopper if and when it appears after their boat sinks!

#174693 - 06/11/09 02:10 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: dougwalkabout]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I have to say that all the close calls I've had were on the highway while driving toward wilderness. That's the high risk activity IMO.

Same here...except for the alligators, copperheads, water moccasins, coral snakes, feral pigs, and the occasional falling tree.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (miner), 510 Guests and 136 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.