Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#174494 - 06/07/09 01:53 PM Shaving
erehwon Offline

Loc: Keystone State
Hey guy, my apologies if this has been discussed before, a quick search didn't come up with anything.

Anyone have any experience with straight razor shaving?

Here's my thought, something as simple as a shave isn't a huge concern for me when setting up a Bug out bag. But even in 72 hours a nice clean shave can have a marvelous effect on morale (forgive me all of you with facial hair, but for those of us who don't :))

I, like many of you must, use one of those cartridge replaceable disposable razors. I'm thinking though, that if SHTF, something that I can re-sharpen might be better, and there seems to be a heavy learning curve on straight razors, both sharpening and using.

Any thoughts?

JB

#174500 - 06/07/09 02:22 PM Re: Shaving [Re: erehwon]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I have some experience with straight razor (20+ years of use).
My advice is to let it be. Those razors require good care and equipment of considerable bulk to use. The shaving procedure tends to require practice and there is a penalty for shortcuts. Resharpening requires additional equipment a a fair amount of practice. It also has the potential to render your razor useless.
Use an old style shaver with a single replaceable blade instead. I have a DOVO Merkur travel shaver. It is a take down version, that almost fits into a matchbox. Two packs with 10 blades each take about the same space and may serve for a couple of weeks. In addition there are sharpeners for the blades which only require pulling a string (GDR vintage?). Those will prolong the useful life of a razor blade if necessary.

#174505 - 06/07/09 02:47 PM Re: Shaving [Re: M_a_x]
erehwon Offline

Loc: Keystone State
Kind of what I thought Max, the learning curve on the straight razor is somewhat intimidating.

Bulk on sharpening etc.. good point, didn't know, single replaceable razor seems a better alt.

I was just thinking of what I'd really want after a couple of days in the field if I found good water, and a good shave came up on the top ten.

JB

#174507 - 06/07/09 03:16 PM Re: Shaving [Re: erehwon]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I spend some time backpacking, and some time working in disaster areas, usually hot and humid areas. I agree completely. Getting a chance to get clean and put on a fresh uniform does wonders for morale. Making arrangements for this is at least as important as most any other survival preparation.

#174508 - 06/07/09 03:27 PM Re: Shaving [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas

Jeff, you could not have been more right.

Morale Boosters:

1) Hot Meal
2) Clean/Dry Feet & Foot Wear
3) Clean Body
4) Clean Clothes

Let us also remember the afore mentioned items are also important to one's health (mentally and physically).

April 19, 1995 was a long day, and the clean/dry clothes did not come for me until the 23rd. Was one of the most important things I received besides new work gloves and protection for my knees.

RIP OBG

#174510 - 06/07/09 03:46 PM Re: Shaving [Re: erehwon]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
The learning curve is not really that much of a problem. Most of it can be done with a balloon so you do not draw blood while learning the basic handling of the razor. It still is not too suitable for the use you described. That is why I have got the DOVO for my travel kit.
The single blade razor is really a good alternative. I am satisfied with mine. In a pinch it works with the foam from a can or regular soap and a blade lasts for about fifteen shaves. My facial hair is really strong.

#174517 - 06/08/09 12:03 AM Re: Shaving [Re: erehwon]
hazeywolf Offline

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
53 minutes 1 second ago
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.