The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#174166 - 06/02/09 05:11 AM Re: Tragic Loss, Lessons to Learn [Re: erehwon]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Sincere condolences, Andy.

Not to speculate on the incident, just an observation - while I like going solo, I never do any major hiking without a buddy I trust. With my life if need be, and it goes the other way around as well. Once out in the bush, I'm responsible for my own safety and the safety of my buddies. If anything happens to them I'll make sure to help as much as I can. If anything happens to me I'll try to take care of myself. I will also appreciate the assistance of my buddies, who I know will do their best. Any outside help (PLB, cellphone, air cav...) is really a bonus but something you can't rely on, especially if split-second decisions have to be made.

There are a few good lessons to be learned from the military. No matter how easy the trip may seem, make sure everyone knows where everybody else is at all times and where their gear is located.

I happen to be the point man on hiking trips most of the time so I carry most of the critical navigation gear on my person. Map, compass, GPS. I make sure my companion(s) always know where I keep that stuff and also where I carry my FAK, emergency supplies and survival kit. I pack my gear the same way every time. Important tools like my belt knife and axe are always within easy reach. Should anything serious happen, it's critical to be able to get to your stuff immediately.

Also, in a larger group, apart from the point man the greatest responsibility lies with the last person in column. Do not under any circumstances let anyone wander off or stay behind. If anyone is in trouble, stop right there and assess the situation. It's plain common sense but that's not always in abundant supply on the trail, especially when ego gets in the way (happens to everyone, myself included).

#174170 - 06/02/09 06:32 AM Re: Tragic Loss, Lessons to Learn [Re: Jeff_M]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Sorry to hear this.
One question that could help is to know how long
he was actually missing? You mention it took 4 hours
to find him but how long had it been since anyone
actually knew he was with the group, 4-6-8 hours?

#174189 - 06/02/09 04:02 PM Re: Tragic Loss, Lessons to Learn [Re: Jeff_M]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Second, insidious hyperthermia and/or dehydration. Each of these can also potentiate the effects of the others.

A bike may make the rider less sensitive to the development and effects of exertion, dehydration and overheating, because of the evaporating, cooling and refreshing effect of passing air. But when you stop, you lose that effect, and your core temperature can spike dangerously.

Please allow me to add my condolences as well.

I used to mountain-bike the Boise Front in Idaho in triple-digit temps, back when I was young and dumb. (Now I'm older, at least.) I never felt bad while moving, but when I got back to the car I was always covered in salty white dust because my sweat had been evaporating.

#174233 - 06/03/09 02:01 AM Re: Tragic Loss, Lessons to Learn [Re: Andy]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Folks,

Thanks for everyone's condolences and thoughtful discussion. Just a couple of clarifications.

It's not known to me how long it took the group to notice that Joe was not with them. His family did not know for sure either.

Joe had ridden in that area before, but in much different weather conditions. He, according to all reports, was a very competent rider.

I haven't inquired of his widow about the autopsy but the authorities in Utah have ruled it accidental, no sign of foul play.

This hasn't been easy to write about and probably not so much fun to read. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Andy

#174264 - 06/03/09 11:31 AM Re: Tragic Loss, Lessons to Learn [Re: Andy]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Andy:

First my condolences... I am truly sorry for your loss.

There have been some great comments, and observations.

Regarding the PLB with GPS. Both are great devices, but once the affects of the heat had hit him, it is my opinion that it was already too late. Heat stroke and heat exhaustion can and will make a person of great intelligence not think clearly at all.

Being an avid Mountain Biker and one who loves to push himself a bit, it is my feeling that the thing that could have possibly saved your friend from his tragic demise would have been good group leadership/maintenance.

Often we as adults don't like to do the "silly" things that our teachers and camp leaders did when we were younger. As adults we don't like to stop and do a head count, we don't like to stop and ask if everyone has had a drink and look into the eyes of the people in the group and see that they are there. Why should we do such a thing? After all we are adults, right? The answer to that is pride... Someone can be suffering or having a hard time and "not want to slow down the group" or "not want to be a burden on the group" so we might not mention that we have a killer headache, or have stopped perspiring and have a funny feeling in our spine/extremities,, ect..

Heat exhaustion is a very very sneaky killer... by the time your brain goes, "I think I am in trouble!" it is almost always too late.

Thank you for sharing your story and I hope that our words can help you find closure to what has happened to your friend.

Perhaps we can bring some good from this and be reminded to monitor the groups we are in as we venture out into the wilderness. Being on this site and part of the forums tells me that we here are either experienced or seek to become experienced and at the very least care more about our own survival than the average person.

So, we need to take the lead when venturing out into the wilderness with groups. If you are not the leader take a supportive roll (aka second leader) and keep an eye on the people that are in the groups you are in. Inventory the members and keep an eye on how they are doing. If you notice someone who is having a hard time but seems to be trying to "suck it up" it is our job to accommodate them.

It may not seem the macho thing to do but when I see someone lagging behind or having a hard time I hang back and invite them to hang back with me, allowing it to look like I am having a hard time, or just not doing my best, so that they look like they are helping me, the whole time I can keep an eye on them and force the group to slow up, or accommodate, for me the whole time I can help out the person who is struggling, and they save face.

#174269 - 06/03/09 01:09 PM Re: Tragic Loss, Lessons to Learn [Re: Tyber]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Might be a case where being in a group was more dangerous than being with a single partner. Nobody was responsible for him.
Even with a good partner stuff like heart attack and stroke and things can happen but.... the problem would be detected and dealt with quickly. With a large group .... well, it might take awhile before anyone noticed his absence as the problem compounds.

Everyone is responsible and no one is actually acting that way.

Safety in numbers might not be all it's cracked up to be.

#174273 - 06/03/09 01:19 PM Re: Tragic Loss, Lessons to Learn [Re: Tyber]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
my thoughts will be on his loved ones.
namo amida butsu

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#174283 - 06/03/09 02:42 PM Re: Tragic Loss, Lessons to Learn [Re: Erik_B]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
In regards to a heat stroke and not being able to make decisions. I have had two verifiable heat strokes, one putting me in a coma and one last year that was less severe of the symptoms I was exhibiting when I got to the ER. The liver and kidney failures, heat & lung cramping was more demanding of attention.

The decision making process that puts a body into a severely dehydrated state should not be misunderstood as a person being unable to make at least one smart decision.

This may be difficult to express correctly but from my experience and from my own research with others and their stories over almost two decades, I do not think it is unreasonable for someone with a PLB to activate it if they were physically able too up to the point of mental unconsciousness. Meaning, that there is a point between realizing the body is in a bitter state and having a window to take certain steps to attempt a correction.

This correction is not something I would consider as adequate to compensate for the condition since most likely an IV is required and medication for nausea/vomiting, but reaching shade is certainly possible and as gross a motor skill as would be needed to activate a PLB if it was responsibly placed on the body.

BUT, there is no need to progress through all the levels of heat injury before reaching a level of physical immobility. Even with simple dehydration a person can drop unconscious. Be that as it may, I know from experience that I ignored my symptoms until I was overcome but I still would have had the ability to punch the button when I reached that realization.

Everyone's issue with heat is different and this seems like a horrible back country accident on what should have been a happy day. Hopefully the widow will have some answers with the autopsy.

#174287 - 06/03/09 02:59 PM Re: Tragic Loss, Lessons to Learn [Re: Erik_B]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Ego is one of the reasons why I avoid hiking in a large group nowadays. Especially with people I don't know personally. On longer, more demanding treks there's bound to be some conflicts in a large group. We're all different: some are in a better shape than others, some love to hike fast and some prefer a slower pace, some like to talk all the time and others don't... and some people just can't get along no matter what. Heat, cold, difficult weather, lack of sleep, having had a few beers too many - all the little factors that can turn a nice trek into a not so pleasant experience.

A little competition on the trail might still be ok but if someone's ego is too big the potential for disaster increases rapidly. I'm in a pretty good shape and don't mind pushing myself hard now and then, but you have to understand full well just how far you can push yourself and how much your buddies can take. If your hiking trip turns into a death march it's only a question of time before somebody gets injured and at any rate the group cohesion will suffer because some people won't be able to keep up the pace.

#174345 - 06/04/09 02:44 PM Re: Tragic Loss, Lessons to Learn [Re: Andy]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Andy..what a terrible thing to happen.my heart go's out to his young family.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.