Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#17409 - 07/01/03 04:34 PM Wallets and security checkpoints
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Has anyone had to open up their wallet for inspection by a security guard? All sorts of tiny but useful items can be carried in zippered change compartments, in addition to spare keys.

#17410 - 07/01/03 04:58 PM Re: Wallets and security checkpoints
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are two basic ways to have gear after security has examined you.

1) Sneak something through that you know they would have taken away.

2) Carry items which they will not confiscate but which can do double duty.

I prefer the second. Building a kit around the presumption that you can fool Big Brother is too likely to wind me up in jail for attempting to smuggle contraban items. The one time I think I will get away with something is the one time that the security guard will select me for a full - body cavity search.

Carry a glass or metal vanity mirror compact. This will serve as a blade in extreme need and even guys can get away with it if you don't mind being laughed at by the guards. Carry a CD or twelve in a music folder - These when broken in half provide decent serrated blades. Carry the Rescue-me tool as discussed on this forum.

Duct-tape, twine, super-glue, bandaids, CPR masks are all fine everywhere. The troublesome items are blades or anything that could be a blade. The amount of little gadgets you carry will determine the amount of time spent getting through security. gadgets carried on a keychain are bulky but very quickly examined and passed. Gadgets carried in an altoids tin with paracord and electrical tape wound round will cost you some time. Review your possible scenarios and determine if you really need any of the contraban items. As naked as I feel w/o my Wave, I really don't have any responsibilities other than self defense that would require me to have a blade in any of the "secure" sites. At work I may need it to remove the case of a PC or to spread my PBJ on a bagel but in a court-house or airliner I probably won't be doing either of those things. Now, if I worked in a court-house I might have a slightly more difficult time.

For items that I might have a difficult time getting into my work site but still feel that I need, I can improvise from permitted items or I can mail myself things at my work. My mail still gets through to me without being molested. This would allow me my full range of tools in a desk drawer where I could get at them without much trouble and not have to try to smuggle them past the guard every morning. This is especially useful for items which management will allow you specifically but which, by training and stupidity the guards may disallow.

If you must try to smuggle items then I would suggest hiding in plain sight. An altoids tin is metal and unless opened you could hide anything within that would fit. If the paint is new and it looks like a box of candies then they might just see a box of candies and not open it. - You could get lucky - or not? Or you could try any of the nylon composite knives. As long as they don't see these they will not trip metal detectors. But still, beware the body cavity search. They will find these items and you will be penalized for smuggling.

#17411 - 07/01/03 09:07 PM Re: Wallets and security checkpoints
NAro Offline
Addict

IMHO it can be highly likely that you'll have to open your wallet if there is real security:
at some alert levels the TSA will xray your wallet
at MANY facilities, magnetometers will trigger if there is sufficient ferrous metal in your wallet.
who DOESN'T know about credit card sized edged weapons.

I think many security systems, including our TSA monitored airports, stink. But I absolutely object to the idea of "trying something". It just distracts people from their job, at best. At worst, it can get you arrested.

Don't try it.

#17412 - 07/02/03 10:37 AM Re: Wallets and security checkpoints
Craig Offline

What, me try something? No way. I guess I asked my question badly. Let me try again.

What I meant to ask was, since there are many interesting tiny things that COULD be carried in a wallet, has anyone ever had to open their wallet for inspection even though they WERE NOT carrying anything in there that could be considered suspicious.

I know about credit card knives.

But a credit card knife would be such an obvious ploy I'd never carry one. All I have in my wallet are paper clips, safety pins, and spare keys.

#17413 - 07/02/03 10:55 AM Re: Wallets and security checkpoints
Craig Offline

I always go for option 2, myself. That way, should someone ask you what it is, I can answer truthfully. I stink at lying. Must be a holdover from my Cub Scout days.

I intend to purchase the Res-Q-Me tool. It looks too cool to not have one. I also always carry a small vanity mirror. It's never been questioned. Should a question ever be asked, I would just say I get stuff in my eyes a lot and the mirror helps me to see to remove it -- which is absolutely true.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 522 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.