Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#173749 - 05/25/09 04:01 AM Re: Traditional shaving soap in a bowl, and brush [Re: Roarmeister]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i wish they would bring back the Gillette Techmatic.i had one in the Army-60's-and it was great.really sharp and no need to have blades handy,just turn the lever and a new section of the razor band would come into use.it had high and low settings,very handy when you had just a small kit. i used a mug and brush and still have the brush on a bathroom shelf..make sure you store it on the base..i got lazy and just tossed it in the mug and the brisles are sort of out of shape..another tip--if you use a straight razor don't run it under really hot water!..when you touch it to you skin the heat will make your hand jump and you might cut youself--i know..a wind-up razor might be handy for a BOB if you just need to get out of harms way for awhile.
i still have the Techmatic and got enought refills from ebay to have a shave with it once in awhile..

#173860 - 05/27/09 11:43 AM Re: Traditional shaving soap in a bowl, and brush [Re: Frankie]
hazeywolf Offline

Generally, I don't shave in the bush. When I travel, I often opt for a Mach 3 - I shave once in the shower and do a second pass with shave oil in front of a mirror; a Mach 3 and spare blades, shave oil, sm. chip of alum block, and small mirror, and $12 US Brawn Travel Shaver (2 AAs) are in my dop kit for short-term use while traveling.

At home wet-shave with a Merkur Slant-Bar (long), a Merkur Silver-tip Badger Brush (stainless steel) and Col. Conk soap ($1.50 US), and finish with an alum block and then a dab of Nivea for Men Sensitive After Shave Extra Soothing Balm.

Shaving with a safety razor takes a bit of time, but its a great shave - especially for guys with heavy, coarse beard growth.

I started with a regular Merkur HD (long) before moving to the Slant-bar razor. I buy blades in bulk - I like the platinum Merkur and Feathers and get about 5 or 6 good shaves from a single blade.

Sometimes you can find inexpensive, used saftey-razors online.

As mentioned by another member, an Alum Block is an inexpensive anti-bacterial deodorant, and is also a great after-shave that closes pores and stops minor knicks from bleeding. I use My Nik is Sealed for nicks that need it.

There are lots of online recipes for crafting your own shaving soap: http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/a/cpshavingrecipe.htm

I've never tried making it myself, but shaving soap is usually a good quality soap with about 2 tsp. of Bentonite (or other clay: Kaolin, Rhassoul or Fuller's Earth) mixed in for every pound of soap in the batch.

There are also many of safety razor and straight razor tutorials online: http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

Best shave I ever got was from a Vietnamese barber with a straight razor and hot towel. Freaked me out when he shaved my whole face. His wife offered to thread my eyebrows but I passed - both good barter skills though.

Edited by hazeywolf (05/27/09 02:00 PM)

#173861 - 05/27/09 11:48 AM Re: Traditional shaving soap in a bowl, and brush [Re: hazeywolf]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I saw this youtube video. The guy is funny.

#173960 - 05/29/09 02:44 PM Re: Traditional shaving soap in a bowl, and brush [Re: Roarmeister]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Frankie,

I used to use Noxzema Shaving Lather in a tube with a badger brush. I'm sure the brush was 25+ yrs old when I started using it, it was my Dad's. Best shave ever. I used to pick up a couple of tubes of the lather when I went back to Canada, sadly it is no longer available. Apparently it was made by P&G but was discontinued a while back.

There is an online source that says they get theirs' from Italy, but at $18 a tube its pricey. Might just get myself some for Father's Day/Birthday. I'm worth it!!

http://www.razorandbrush.com/nox.jpg

#173974 - 05/29/09 09:43 PM Re: Traditional shaving soap in a bowl, and brush [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Thanks. I'll try Williams shaving soap and Omega Made in Italy boar hair shaving brush. Inexpensive and easy to find in our local drugstores.

François

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.