Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173393 - 05/17/09 02:47 AM Summer 10 essentials kit
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
I bought the Bestglide NATO canteen kit: pouch, canteen, plastic cup, steel cup and cooker. In the winter it rides in one of our cars, but in the other three seasons I can’t find much use for it. So, I decided to create a summer “10 essentials plus” kit. I usually carry a lumbar pack while dayhiking in the Appalachians from late spring until early fall, when the night temps remain above freezing, with more gear than this. I’ll likely post it later, and I’ve already posted my winter kit elsewhere on ETS.

This is different. This kit is the bare minimum with which I’d be willing to walk into the mountains, and then only for a daylight trip with a forecast for warm and fair weather. I could cram more into the pouch, certainly, but I want to be able to easily remove and replace the canteen. I welcome any suggestions, but please bear in mind that my main goal is to keep this small and light.

From top left, moving clockwise:
• Bestglide canteen pouch with belt loops, webbing attachments and shoulder strap
• Millenium energy bar, 400cal
• 25’ paracord
• Mini-Bic lighter
• Paracord bracelet, containing 8’ cord
• Ritter MINI Mk1 lockblade knife
• 6 MicroPUR water purification tablets
• Heatsheet emergency blanket
• NATO 1L poly canteen
• Small first aid kit in waterproof bag: Ibuprofen, Benadryl, Pepto, Imodium, band-aids, gauze pads, tweezers, moleskin, butterfly strips, antiseptic towelettes, and antibiotic, burn and hydrocortisone ointments.
• Map. The NatGeo TOPO series are excellent, and they cover most of my stomping grounds in great detail. They are a good balance of scale: small enough to navigate by landform, but large enough to show road access.
• The Ritter PSK is in the center. Mine is beefed up with 8 wooden matches, 4 MicroPUR tabs and a Ritter Photon. I just realized while typing this that the kit also needs the Photon clip so that I will have a hands-free source of light. Consider it added.

The sweater is a back-drop only. I don't carry it in summer. It was 79 degrees today.

#173398 - 05/17/09 04:38 AM Re: Summer 10 essentials kit [Re: jaywalke]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice. I might suggest a tiny sunscreen (spf 30 chapstick??)

Assumed as edc - hat sunglasses, cell phone, cash

#173400 - 05/17/09 07:56 AM Re: Summer 10 essentials kit [Re: jaywalke]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Very good kit that.

I personally would add:

Lightweight disposable poncho to compliment the heatsheet.
SAK that has a saw on it to compliment minigrip.
A second powerbar or some boiled sweets. I normally try to carry a reserve of about 1500 Kcal.

If you have the metal cup, drop that in as well.

You could carry some of that in your pockets rather than in the pouch. In fact I would encourage you to do so.

#173412 - 05/17/09 04:02 PM Re: Summer 10 essentials kit [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

You might add a flat pac (old credit card) of Duct tape in you medical bag. Nice kit.

#173419 - 05/17/09 06:53 PM Re: Summer 10 essentials kit [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
+1 on the cup- something to boil in is always with me.

And I'm going to suggest my every present zip ties, 10' of wire, dental floss and a sewing needle or two for fixing the stuff that duct tape doesn't work with.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#173424 - 05/17/09 09:09 PM Re: Summer 10 essentials kit [Re: jaywalke]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Bug Spray.
Bug Spray.
Bug Spray.

Even if you're getting eaten by West Nile-free skeeters, they'll still drive you nuts.

The discomfort/irritation/lack of sleep from being skeetered to death will drive anyone to make stupid/rash decisions.

#173426 - 05/17/09 09:33 PM Re: Summer 10 essentials kit [Re: samhain]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: samhain
Bug Spray.
Bug Spray.
Bug Spray.

Even if you're getting eaten by West Nile-free skeeters, they'll still drive you nuts.

The discomfort/irritation/lack of sleep from being skeetered to death will drive anyone to make stupid/rash decisions.

You know, we just don't have any bugs here. I grew up in Michigan, and summered in the UP and the Boundary Waters of MN, so I am well-acquainted with the common mosquito. Here in the mountains of VA, there's nothing. It's like heaven.

Ditto on the sunscreen. It's necessary before leaf-out, but for the rest of the year you are traveling in the shade. The AT is not called "the green tunnel" for nothing. I love not having to cover myself in chemicals.

Edited by jaywalke (05/17/09 09:35 PM)

#173434 - 05/18/09 12:29 AM Re: Summer 10 essentials kit [Re: jaywalke]
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
A good kit. You're way ahead of most folks that I've seen on trails in the Smoky's.

You might consider a splinter/tick picker in the FAK. I haven't had any problems with skeeters in the Smoky's but ticks are a possibility and occasionally some mean-spirited black flies. I usually carry a small bottle of bug spray but rarely have to use it there.

A bandanna might come in handy also.

#173450 - 05/18/09 01:04 PM Re: Summer 10 essentials kit [Re: jaywalke]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I see a good map, but what about a good compass?

Bill

#173481 - 05/18/09 09:21 PM Re: Summer 10 essentials kit [Re: ironraven]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ironraven
+1 on the cup- something to boil in is always with me.

And I'm going to suggest my every present zip ties, 10' of wire, dental floss and a sewing needle or two for fixing the stuff that duct tape doesn't work with.

+2. I swear I could build a house with zip ties. And I second the bandana suggestion. Its the multitool of clothing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 220 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.