Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#172912 - 05/07/09 09:14 PM eBay or Amazon, which is "better"?
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
I just posted a reply to a thread about buying gear on Amazon. It brought to mind, again, a question I've wondered about for some time.
I'm fairly new at buying online, but I've gotten items from Amazon and eBay both with good experiences all around. I'm surprised at the variety of stuff that comes up by searching "survival" or related words on both eBay and Amazon.
What I am wondering about is which do you think is the better site to deal with, and why? What do you base your preference on?
Just wondering.

#172940 - 05/08/09 09:08 AM Re: eBay or Amazon, which is "better"? [Re: EdD270]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Amazon is normally my site of choice just because you generally know exactly who you're dealing with and what you can expect. That said, you can often get much better deals on ebay, and I've bought some of my (otherwise much more) expensive gear there.

#172945 - 05/08/09 12:23 PM Re: eBay or Amazon, which is "better"? [Re: EdD270]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
For new goods Amazon, without question. For one of a kind or strange goods, ebay.

I've been buying and selling online since the mid 1980's and I've bought almost anything you can imagine online from ammo to zeolite and over the years, I've bought and sold on ebay as well.

Asking which one is better is like asking which half of your head is more useful.

#172950 - 05/08/09 01:45 PM Re: eBay or Amazon, which is "better"? [Re: MartinFocazio]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
+1 on what Martin wrote. I've bought a couple of things on ebay that turned out to be not such a great deal, I'm thinking of a couple of cell phone chargers in particular but they were so cheap that I really can't complain.

If you can find a vendor on ebay that delivers what you need at a good price, treasure them.

And for that matter, there are any number of online businesses outside of Amazon and ebay that give exemplary service. I haven't purchased anything from them yet but Redflare, a member/vendor here on ETS gets very high praise from their customers. McMaster-Carr, an industrial supply house sets the gold standard in my opinion for their variety as well as there incredibly fast shipping and very reasonable shipping rates, I can order from them on a Monday afternoon and the box will be sitting on my porch in less than 24 hours.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#172970 - 05/08/09 08:40 PM Re: eBay or Amazon, which is "better"? [Re: JohnE]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Good to know. Thanks to you all for your input. It helps.

#172991 - 05/09/09 06:26 PM Re: eBay or Amazon, which is "better"? [Re: ]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

One great thing about buying used SAK's is the lifetime warranty. My son was at a Boy Scout Mountain Man Rendezvous many years ago, and won first place in a blackpowder blanket shoot. Accordingly, he got first choice of the items on the blanket. He was drawn to a nice hairpipe choker, but I encouraged him to get the SAK. He pointed out that the blade was broken, I said I knew that, get it anyway. He did, and when we got home we mailed it off and in a few days a brand new knife came to him. What a deal!
He learned that day to trust his old man a little more often.
Even if you get multiples in a "grab bag" buy, you can sell them at yard sales and make a profit. Especially after returning the broken ones for repair or replacement.
Love those SAK's.

#173156 - 05/11/09 11:35 PM Re: eBay or Amazon, which is "better"? [Re: JohnE]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
McMaster Carr is definitely one to put on a preferred vendor list. Great to deal with, fast service and friendly to deal with. They have an unbelievable catalog and their website is great as well.

Standard disclaimer, aside from being a customer I have no affiliation.

Regards,
Comanche7

#173478 - 05/18/09 08:52 PM Re: eBay or Amazon, which is "better"? [Re: Comanche7]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Thanks again for the input. Good things to know.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 176 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.