Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#172898 - 05/07/09 06:39 PM Going fishing...
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
This summer my family is going to be spending a week in northern Minnesota for a vacation. The primary activity for the guys (my dad, 2 brother in laws, my nephew and me) is going to be fishing. The lake is stocked with walleye, bass, and crappie.

I've got a pretty decent casting rod/reel, but nothing else. I'd like to put together a small box with the basic lures and such and figured I'd get some suggestions on what to get. I fished a lot as a kid, but have only touched a fishing rod half a dozen times in the past 25 years.

I am looking at something about this size to use as the tackle box.

#172909 - 05/07/09 08:40 PM Re: Going fishing... [Re: LeeG]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
An Eppinger Daredevil Spinner Lure, several Rapala floating minnows in assorted colors (black top/grey belly and orange top/cream belly), and assorted Mr. Twister lures and jigs should cover your needs. Of course also add some hooks, sinkers, and bobbers for panfish off the dock/shore. Live bait would be worms, minnows, frogs, and leeches.

Don't forget your filet knife and stringer, too.

-Blast, born and raised in MN, then got the hell out of there.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#172910 - 05/07/09 08:54 PM Re: Going fishing... [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Lee,

Blast gave you a good list. I would first check the regulations on the lake to see if there are any live bait or tackle restrictions, no sense buying tackle you cannot use.

You could also call any lodges, bait/tackle shops or the DNR in the area to see what the locals catch fish on.

They will often give up their secrets to a friendly visitor, especially when you are fishing a stocked lake.

Also Google the lake name and you could be surprised at the information that may be available on the internet.

Good Luck and Tight Lines,

Mike

#172942 - 05/08/09 10:20 AM Re: Going fishing... [Re: SwampDonkey]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I haven't really ever fished myself but I keep watching now as some of the state parks are doing license free weekends every once and a while now.

#173235 - 05/13/09 04:49 AM Re: Going fishing... [Re: LeeG]
past_digger Offline

Loc: SD, USA
My favorite fishing lures would be the Hula Popper and the Jitterbug. They are the third and fourth lures on this page . Both are topwater lures and are best fished fairly close to the bank, especially along vegetation or cover. Best time is early morning/dusk, and when the water is glass smooth - both create sound or vibrations in the water, so you can fish as long as the moon cooperates. I love watching a bass hit them, especially in the morning when there's still fog or mist on the lake.

+1 on the Mister Twister. One of my favorite fishing memories is of the day I caught three different species on three successive casts to the same hole, using a yellow Mister Twister grub: largemouth bass, crappie and channel cat. They were all small, but so was the creek... Caught my biggest crappie on the same type lure, too.

As for the tackle box, that one looks like it would hold just about enough lures for me to lose in a solid week of fishing, in the rocks, in the weeds, in the trees...

If you do lose everything, a few kernels of corn on a hook, a sinker and a bobber will still get you some crappie (and bullhead if you bottom fish). My boys are still young and haven't perfected casting or retrieving - we use a 49 cent can of corn about 90 percent of the time.

Have fun, and remember, a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 527 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.