Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172859 - 05/06/09 11:26 PM Re: Fall Hunting Survival Scenario (Beware: Pic Heavy) [Re: SwampDonkey]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
All you needed were some Lifecaps and some AquaMira...;^)

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#172860 - 05/06/09 11:47 PM Re: Fall Hunting Survival Scenario (Beware: Pic Heavy) [Re: JohnE]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Your a funny guy John, made me laugh!

Mike

#172862 - 05/06/09 11:49 PM Re: Fall Hunting Survival Scenario (Beware: Pic Heavy) [Re: SwampDonkey]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I do what I can with what I've been given...;^)

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#172864 - 05/07/09 12:22 AM Re: Fall Hunting Survival Scenario (Beware: Pic Heavy) [Re: JohnE]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:

John E

And more beer ends up on my computer screen.
laugh

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#172866 - 05/07/09 12:55 AM Re: Fall Hunting Survival Scenario (Beware: Pic Heavy) [Re: SwampDonkey]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I was thinking of your Spring Creek trips as I was huddled in the beaver marsh, the wildlife was not at all the same (e.g. snakes, alligators, armadillos, feral pigs .... half-dressed European Sunbathers)!

What, you mean you don't have ladies like this (naughty bits covered but still NSFW) in your neck of the woods? In that case carry on without me! cool

-Blast grin

Edited by Blast (05/07/09 12:56 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#172868 - 05/07/09 02:16 AM Re: Fall Hunting Survival Scenario (Beware: Pic Heavy) [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Blast, I am afraid it will have to be at least a month and many degrees warmer before any of that sort of wildlife shows up in my area.

But by then, the black flies will be so thick that it will be extremely unlikely.

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (05/07/09 03:30 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling as usual!

#172869 - 05/07/09 03:29 AM Re: Fall Hunting Survival Scenario (Beware: Pic Heavy) [Re: MichaelJ07]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

During my over-nighter in the bush I took some notes on what equipment worked and what did not.

I felt pressured for time while I was constructing the shelter site and if I found a tool or technique was ineffective, I quickly replaced it if possible.

I had taken a few cutting edges (belt knife, Mora knife, EDC folder, mini-folder, SAK ...) to test but found that the brush-hook blade and folding saw were the most effective wood cutting tools I had. If I had a swede saw or axe I would have used them, when it was getting dark and I needed firewood in a hurry I wished for my Husqvarna chainsaw that was sitting in my garage at home.

First aid tools became important for a brief time during the evening. I received numerous scratches on my hands when I had my gloves off (duh), but when reaching for a piece of firewood I drove a 3/4 inch sliver into the palm of my right hand, at the first knuckle. I used the needle from the AMK/DR PSK and the tweezers from my SAK Classic Whistler (EDC attached to my keyring), to remove it by the light of my headlamp.

The headlamp I used was a Petzl Tactikka Plus it was terrific and I wore it from dusk till dawn.

I also had a SAK AA LED flashlight with a neoprene glove on it so I could hold it in my teeth, it is a good light but I only used it long enough to find the headlamp buried in my pack.

Being able to heat water over the fire was a big help in staying warm. The 400ml SS metal container I hung over the fire came with a see-thru lid, I bought it at the local dollar store. This container forms the exterior of my "Shelter Kit" that contains cordage, an AMK Bivy, an AMK Heatsheet and a second smaller tin can container. I did not take all this kit with me, so I will post about it in detail another time.

A poncho liner or even better a wool blanket would have been great to sleep under; the wool would have been more ember-proof than synthetic.

When I was starting to build the shelter I had a light airplane circle low once over me. I had a blaze orange hat on and think the pilot was just curious what I was doing in the marsh? If this was a real survival situation I am sure I could have signaled the plane for help with a mirror, flare, smoke or even just arm signals.

I was very suspect of the water in the area because of the amount of old mines/tailings nearby. The creek I was camped beside would probably be OK for drinking after treatment, but if I had to drink the water I was going to walk about 800m southeast to a stream that flows out of a trout lake at the top of the local watershed. As it turned out I carried 4 litres of water in with me and did not use all of it.

I had plans of setting out hare snares and hand-fishing in the large river about 1km south of me but there was just not the time, things to learn/test on another trip.

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (05/07/09 12:28 PM)
Edit Reason: Spellling

#172874 - 05/07/09 11:21 AM Re: Fall Hunting Survival Scenario (Beware: Pic Heavy) [Re: SwampDonkey]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Great post... Always good to get a little practice in. I'm always trying out my gear in controlled situations to see if something should be replaced.

Loved the Lifecaps comment...

#172879 - 05/07/09 02:07 PM Re: Fall Hunting Survival Scenario (Beware: Pic Heavy) [Re: JohnE]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: JohnE

John E

Now everyone in the coffee shop is looking at me like I'm a madman. And no good way to explain this joke...

Classic!

#172888 - 05/07/09 03:50 PM Re: Fall Hunting Survival Scenario (Beware: Pic Heavy) [Re: SwampDonkey]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
How do you like the Savage 24C? What was your ammo loadout for the Savage?
I have several 24C's, one with a matching set of .22lr/20 gauge & .22magnum/20 gauge barrels.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 336 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.