Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#17280 - 06/22/03 10:09 PM Tourniquet Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

For a very long time, we were told "TQs are the last resort", "Save a life, lose a limb", etc. Currently in the tactical medicine/tems field, TQs are being utilized as the primary method to stop bleeds during the Care Under Fire phase. This has caused a bunch of companies to bring out various one-hand or self applied TQ designs. I've included links to several different ones. Where do you all see the TQ in wilderness medicine/ survival events?

http://sat-system.com/

http://tacticalassaultsystems.com/Produc...0Tourniquet.htm

http://www.cmcrescue.com/cmcrescue/dept....01V42KNS2A34VN4

http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000242.html

This last link is to another forum with good pictures of the new Army design.

Thanks,

Gomez

#17281 - 06/23/03 02:43 PM Re: Tourniquet Question
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Still as a last resort. I have handled many a trauma over the years and have never had to resort to a TQ. Direct pressure, elevation and the use of pressure points have always significantly slowed or stopped the bleeding. Pete

#17282 - 06/23/03 09:35 PM Re: Tourniquet Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Using a tourniquet is risky business. Unlike indirect pressure (pressure points), which cuts off the blood flowwing through a specific artery, a tourniquet affects flow through all the blood vessals in a limb.

If a tourniquet is not applied tightly enough, it will cut off the flow through the veins, but not the arteries. This can INCREASE the ammount of bleeding from a wound, which is obviously not the desired effect.

Also, if a tourniquet is used in the wrong place on a limb, nerves can be damaged.

Given these risks, I would opt for indirect pressure to control a major bleed in a limb.

Finally, we live in a increasingly litigious world. If you do things you aren't qualified to do, be aware that you may leave yourself open to litigation.

Chris

#17283 - 06/27/03 05:45 PM Re: Tourniquet Question
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Pete, do you know if a good "first-responders" reference for these major pressure points?

#17284 - 06/30/03 02:45 PM Re: Tourniquet Question
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
First let me do a little preaching; I would suggest taking a Red Cross or other recognized first aid course, you will be taught the proper methods for controlling bleeding as well caring for a variety of other injuries. While there are many books out there and I am sure you would get many recommendations from members of this forum, taking one or more classes from individuals who are trained in teaching this type of information is invaluable. You will be exposed to teaching methods that are time proven and will give you the chance to practice and have critiqued your first aid technique. With that said, the American Red Cross and I am sure other forms of the International Red Cross publish user friendly: First Aid Fast first aid guides. http://www.redcross.org/pubs/#aid

Pete

#17285 - 06/30/03 10:16 PM Re: Tourniquet Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think there is a fundamental difference between military battle-oriented medicine and that which we all are exposed to. The ballistics of explosion-driven shrapnel and high energy weapons like 7.62 and 5.56 battle rifles are different than those of .38, 9 mm, etc handguns that are seen in civillian gunshot wounds.
In my professional career (since begining residency in 1981), I have never seen a situation in a civillian ER where a tourniquet was necessary or should have been used and was not.
I would not waste space or money on a prefab, one-handed tourniquet, unless you are in the military!!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 287 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.