The Boy Scouts require use of propane on their outings. Some perception of safety on the National organization's part.
I have an old, c. 1974?, Coleman white gas stove and bought an adapter for it to use propane also. The adapter is just a pipe that replaces the generator, and you remove the white gas tank to use propane. Coleman and others make the adapter. Having used this set up on camping and hunting trips in MO, CO, NM and AZ these are some thoughts on them.
White gas burns hotter and ignites easier and does not freeze in very cold weather. However, if spilled it takes forever to go away, and makes a mess and is a hazard while it's there. Spare parts, generator, pump leathers, oil, tank cap and gasket, etc. are necessary. Like any gasoline, it "rots" over time, but not as quickly as car gas. It requires pumping periodically, especially at altitude, and is prone to "flare up" when lighting it, quickly removing hair and sometimes skin from hands, arms and eyebrows. Using both burners also causes fluctuations in pressure, especially if one is turned off and on repeatedly. These pressure fluctuations also lead to erratic flame height, and temps, which complicates cooking. As Blast mentioned, if the tank falls off it can become a flamethrower. Don't ask.
Propane will not "spoil" no matter how old it is. Propane stoves can also use the bigger 20 or 30 lb. "bulk" tanks, giving much longer service than the little disposable cannisters. Propane lights easily, and goes away quickly if "spilled". It's self-pressurizing, so no pumping is needed and refilling is a no-mess proposition. I find greater control of flame height, and therefore temperature, with propane, especially with bulk tank and regulator, and it does not flare up when lighting it. There is little or no fluctuation during use, even with both burners going. Propane is cheaper than white gas. The little cannisters are convenient to carry around and are disposable, but can be refilled, with proper gear, from a bulk tank. The bulk tanks are easily stabilized by putting them into a milk crate made to hold four or more 1-gal. jugs.
That's why I have the adapter, and use both. When car camping with the family or Boy Scouts, I usually use propane and a bulk tank. When hunting in the cold or at altitude, say the Colorado Rockies in November or December, I use white gas, and am extra careful.
I'm guessing this is all pretty basic, and you already knew most of it. But, I hope it helps.