The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17223 - 06/20/03 12:04 AM new trauma dressing
survivalperson Offline
Journeyman

www.cinchtight.com

This is supposed to be the Marine Corps new trauma dressing. What do you think?

#17224 - 06/20/03 12:32 AM Re: new trauma dressing
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

SP,

I have some.

I have not needed to actually use them yet, but I have opened one up for use as a "training aid". In that respect, they work as advertised. You can use them one-handed (best to practice this before you need it, it is a little tricky until you get used to it). I'm no expert, but they appear to me (no stranger to field dressings) to be a very good product. I was VERY impressed. A one-handed trauma dressing is a Godsend to our troops, and damned handy for everyone else.

BTW, the company that makes them---H+H Associates and Inc.--has the BEST customer service of any company I have ever done business with. BAR NONE.

Take care,

Andy

#17225 - 06/20/03 01:19 PM Re: new trauma dressing
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Andy,

what is the cost per one if you don;t mind me asking?

Matt

#17226 - 06/20/03 11:36 PM Re: new trauma dressing
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Matt,

IIRC (and I may not), they were just under seven bucks apiece. Well worth it, IMO.

I'll rummage around for the reciept just to make sure, and let you know.

Take care,

Andy

#17227 - 06/21/03 04:59 PM Re: new trauma dressing
mick Offline
dedicated member

Loc: England west yorkshire
looks promising but i reckon it'll be a while before we get it. Is it me or does it seem similar to the the emergancy bandage by first care products?

what do you think of this basic trauma kit?
http://www.cinchtight.com/Cat_Kit/cat_kit.html

Edited by mick (06/21/03 05:05 PM)

#17228 - 06/22/03 01:10 AM Re: new trauma dressing
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Mick,

I'm unfamiliar with the other product you mentioned.

As for the catastrophic trauma kit, I have that, too. Once again, never had to use one (thank God), but I have opened one of everything in the kit for use as training aids, and am pleased with the quality of the products. Good products, good value. If have your own vacuum sealing machine, or don't mind the extra volume of a large zip-lock bag, the individual products in the kit can be purchased individually at a decent savings vs. the assembled kit.

For the record, I have no financial ties to the company; I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Take care,

Andy

#17229 - 06/22/03 09:55 PM Re: new trauma dressing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greetings, all.

The CinchTight is current issue with the USMC Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK). There is a neat presentation available here: www.tecom.usmc.mil/gtb/TPS/HealthServicesSptMain.htm

I've not been terribly impressed with the CinchTight. The little hook thing tends to fall off of the dressing and it applies pressure in one spot instead of applying pressure across the dressing like the First Care Products/ Israeli Dressing does.

Gomez

#17230 - 06/23/03 03:49 AM Re: new trauma dressing
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Gomez,

Falling off? Or breaking off? I haven't noticed any problems with mine, with either, and I've cranked down pretty hard on it. I can see how it could fall off, but it doesn't seem likely without either some serious help, or a defect in the bandage. However, a statistical sample of one isn't much to base an opinion on so...if there are problems, please let me know. I have opened one, and have 9 others still sealed.

As for the "pressure on only one spot", I don't see that as a problem. Aren't you supposed to put direct pressure on the wound site, rather than around the entire injured body part? I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong, or have misunderstood you.

Take care,

Andy

#17231 - 06/23/03 02:42 PM re: pressure on 1 spot
Anonymous
Unregistered

re: pressure on 1 spot

I haven't used any of these products.
An an EMT, the traumas that I have treated I treated with piles of 4X4's held tightly in place with Kling wrap gauze. This applies a presure over a 4-6 inch area and seems to work well for most venous bleeds. I haven't stopped an arterial bleed yet. If you have a 4 inch gash and you put pressure on a 1/4 inch area you haven't put pressure on the wound - only a part of it. Further, if you have an bad bleed you need to slow blood flow through the effected area so that it doesn't flush any clotting that might occur. This is not a tourniquet but simply holding the flesh closed tightly enough around the wound that the blood flows in the vein rather than out of it. This will be difficult but requires braodly applied pressure. Usually pressure area about the size of the palm of your hand is helpful. Pressure area the size of your finger-tip will do little to help. If a pressure area the size of your finger-tip would help then you probably don't need anything more than a bandaid.

#17232 - 06/23/03 09:58 PM Re: new trauma dressing seems expensive
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
just under seven bucks apiece

WOW!!! I've got my medical supplies catalogues here and a number 4 ambulance dressing cost £0.96. (About $1.60) Thats the standard type of dressing used here in the UK by civilian services.

If you want a seriously heavy duty dressing, for example a dressing that will stand up to a battlefield for a while, a millitary dressing costs £2.50 ($4.16).

I have treated plenty of injuries using ambulance dressings, and they've always worked well for me.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 105 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.