Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#171750 - 04/21/09 12:17 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
All you need to fully disassemble and reassemble a Grip is a T6 and T10 torx drivers available at any WalMart or Hardware store.

I didn't check Walmart, but no other hardware store around here (Seattle burbs) carried something as small as a T6.

-john

#171752 - 04/21/09 12:32 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: haertig]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: haertig
At one time I liked the way the mini-Grips looked. I handled one in a store and just didn't care for the axis lock very much. Personal preference I guess. I didn't even think about the mechanism inside (little springs) at the time, but hearing about that now makes me feel better about not buying that mini-Grip. I got a Spyderco lockback instead. I've always wondered if the mini-Grip might have been a good choice too, since so many people seem to like them. But that "little springs" thing gives me pause...

Everything is a trade off. While there are springs, they aren't a direct load bearing part of the mechanism, and as Doug points out, there are redundant springs, and if it really came down to it, you can lodge something in the mechanism.

The upside is a very ambi, and more importantly, one-handed ambi friendly knife with a very strong mechanism.

My previous EDC was a Sebbie, and the ultra simplistic, titanium framelock certainly is a rugged mechanism (albeit hollow ground blade).

But... One day someone on the forums was talking about being injured and needing to use his knife off-handed and one handed.

I decided to try it out. While I can use the Sebbie effectively one handed... off-handed and one handed... um, notsomuch. In fact, it is downright difficult to use in this mode.

I figured in an emergency, this is a significant handicap.

My current EDC is a full sized DR M2 Grip, and I'm very happy with it. Not as cool as the Sebbie, but very well rounded.

Of course, a backup is a good idea anyway, and I suppose you could carry a lefty and a righty.

In the end, we are lucky we have the choices we do and one choice certainly isn't for everyone. But I've started to think about all survival my tools and how effectively I could use them one handed, and off handed. Interesting the things that crop up.

-john

#171753 - 04/21/09 12:33 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
On another note...one thing I dislike about the Mini Grip (Probably on all of their knives, too) is that the thumb stud isn't really screwed into the blade. It's a nut and a bolt that doesn't get tight enough together to hold onto the blade and not move around. I made the mistake of taking it off out of curiosity and had to use thread lock to get it back to it's former tightness.

None of mine wobble. IIRC, they use either blue or red loctite to make sure it stays tight from the factory, but even on the ones I've taken apart and put back together without it, I've never had any problems with it moving around. In fact, all the benchmade thumbstuds I've taken apart are specifically milled to slot into the hole in the blade so they don't move around.

#171754 - 04/21/09 12:42 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: JohnN]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I've found Spyderco's and Byrd's (a less expensive subsidiary of Spyderco) to be equally as easy to use right or left handed. They have holes rather than studs for opening, thus ambidextrous. They are lockbacks, so inherently ambidextrous to close as well, although I'd never try to close a lockback one-handed myself. I don't like closing any folder one-handed for that matter.

I'm sure the mini-Grips are fine knives too. But just in this short thread I see there are a couple of people who have had trouble with them. So the problems can't be that rare if they've been seen more than once in such a small sample of people.

#171755 - 04/21/09 12:44 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: JohnN]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
How do you find the M2 for EDC re corrosion issues? I have M2 RSK, but EDC an S30V RSK.

#171758 - 04/21/09 02:15 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: JohnN]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: JohnN
I didn't check Walmart, but no other hardware store around here (Seattle burbs) carried something as small as a T6.

-john

If you have a Sears nearby, check there, I got mine (Craftsman) there. About $3.00 bucks.

#171764 - 04/21/09 05:36 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: Russ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Russ
How do you find the M2 for EDC re corrosion issues? I have M2 RSK, but EDC an S30V RSK.

So far, no problems. But I do managed to get dunked, I'll dry 'er off when I get home.

The M2 RSK does have a coating (although mine is plenty scuffed up) which offers some protection, but it doesn't seem overly inclined to rust anyway.

YMMV.

-john

then now

#171765 - 04/21/09 05:38 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

If you have a Sears nearby, check there, I got mine (Craftsman) there. About $3.00 bucks.

I should have thought of that. Thanks.

-john

#171766 - 04/21/09 05:41 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: haertig]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: haertig
I've found Spyderco's and Byrd's (a less expensive subsidiary of Spyderco) to be equally as easy to use right or left handed.

Yes, there are plenty of fine choices out there.

Quote:

I'm sure the mini-Grips are fine knives too. But just in this short thread I see there are a couple of people who have had trouble with them. So the problems can't be that rare if they've been seen more than once in such a small sample of people.

After hanging out on knifeforums for a while, it was my impression that it is fairly rare, but YMMV.

-john

#171767 - 04/21/09 10:56 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: JohnN]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Interesting the weak hand problems with the sebbie. Of course, you could get a double thumb lug, but I don't worry too much, as it's clipped on my right front pocket, which I can't even reach with my left hand

I carried thumbhole knives (a chimera) and a few ambi disk knives, and like them. I don't really worry about ambi closing of the knife
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.