Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#171452 - 04/16/09 04:49 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: tonyb]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
"Another thing dont eat that Marmite crap it's discusting nothing like the real Vegimite, trick is to spread it on very thin."

Yep, marmite is nothing like Vegemite, which I much prefer. For us yanks unfortunatey, we can't get Vegemite in the states, but marmite is still sold here.

It does take us Yanks a while to get used to it, especially for breakfast, but if you start with toast in the afternoon with plenty of butter and a little Vegemite on top you can manage.

One thing I discovered is Vegemite is a wonderful addition to pot roast. Spread some atop the roast prior to cooking, and it adds a lovely taste and aroma that is quite appealing (compare it to beer basting roast with a bit of seasoning salt added to the basting sauce). That might be the best way to get introduced to the pleasure of consuming Vegemite.

Also, you've got to try their L&P soda. It is a tad too sweet for my taste, but it's a big hit with the Kiwis.

#171455 - 04/16/09 06:23 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Another thing dont eat that Marmite crap it's discusting nothing like the real Vegimite, trick is to spread it on very thin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHbpTrFPc7Y&feature=related laugh

#171459 - 04/16/09 07:25 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
you might want to think about adding the Veg or Marmite to your list of survival items..i was under the impression it;s something they came up with in the old days to add to the OZ diet of mutton and whatever.sort of like Wonderbread did for rickets in the American South..

Edited by CANOEDOGS (04/16/09 07:26 PM)

#171489 - 04/17/09 03:46 AM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: Packman]
tonyb Offline
For me life is my beach
Stranger

Loc: Australia, Cairns
Ok here we go I’m going to spill my guts here mate but firstly don’t shoot the messenger and don’t take this as the populace , done a little research today and contacted relatives and some old mates who are still living in Kiwi land I asked them the question ‘how do you perceive Americans in your country’.
From the information received I have concluded that from a group of 25 people living in New Zealand that Americans in another country have the perception of being loud, aggressive and demanding.
Now this is where it gets really weird, I asked them have you personally met Americans and most of them said no, ……ok next question was well how do you know they are like this, “oh from what I’ve heard on the media, movies and what I have read and that time uncle Bill met one down South ages ago”!!! aren’t people to easy to judge without firsthand knowledge, go figure.
From this I think attitude is important here, I would be doing everything to downplay this image the minute you open your mouth you are going to be judged as an American and that judgment stays with that listening and observing individual and is often passed around to their family and friends. If you’re going to be there for a while go out of your way to be polite as possible and as friendly as possible and smile, that will throw them back.
Now saying all this when I go back to visit my relatives and friends I absolutely cop a bagging, being a naturalized Australian they think gives them the right to put down our Country and national footy team (who gives a rats I don’t even follow footy) and my Aussie ascent, people can be very cruel but I’ve always got a good come back… ha.

#171520 - 04/17/09 01:29 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: tonyb]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yes, there is that general perception of us. I find that a little quick generosity (such as buying the first few rounds at the pub for all your mates), combined with a little self deprecating humor and paying genuine interest in what the locals say gets you in good stead and quickly overcomes the stereotype.

For the most part, I find that if you show genuine interest in others, even if in a somewhat hostile environment, you will eventually be judged by most on how you act, and the stereotype falls away quickly. It may be a challenge initially to overcome, but usually there's always someone willing to give you a chance, and once others see how you interact, they tend to change their opinions fairly easily. You've just got to bear in mind you are a guest and it mostly falls on you to reach out to the local population and for you to take the initiative to try and get along.

When I was in the Navy, I was appalled at how many of the sailors would carry on during port call. Not everyone was so bad, but enough were that it really cast aspersions on the rest of us to the point where we are perceived exactly as the stereotype described. I suspect it's gotten better over time, but things like that don't get forgotten quickly.

#171525 - 04/17/09 01:52 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Yes, there is that general perception of us. I find that a little quick generosity (such as buying the first few rounds at the pub for all your mates), combined with a little self deprecating humor and paying genuine interest in what the locals say gets you in good stead and quickly overcomes the stereotype.

And remember to not mention the Alamo and ask what the pentagram on the wall of the pub is for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_2likGlok whistle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.