Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#170917 - 04/08/09 10:48 PM Re: Best multi-wrench and muti-screwdriver gear [Re: Eugene]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
The Kobalt line from Lowes is no longer made by the JHWilliams which is a subsidiary of Snap On. Current production of Kobalt tools are made by Danaher which makes most of the Craftsman tool line. Still good tools but not quite the same finish quality of the Williams tools.

And KG2V is right about the ratcheting combo wrenches, have already acquired several sets including the flex heads. All of the ratcheting combination wrenches are made under license from Gearwrench IIRC, so it doesn't seem to matter which brand you buy.

#170918 - 04/08/09 11:02 PM Re: Best multi-wrench and muti-screwdriver gear [Re: KG2V]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Thanks for the tip on the Lowes house brand, I'll have to go check them out.

Most of my better tools (SnapOn and Blackhawk wrenches and sockets) date from my days working in the local garage to earn $ for school (and other less noble pursuits smile ). The challenge when working on other peoples cars is that most people don't take good care of their car and usually some other ham handed mechanic (not from the shop I worked in of course) has done a great job of messing things up. By this time the customer just wants to replace X (whatever it is) as cheaply as possible and all these little extras are just a way to run the price up, you know, so just reuse the originals. Sometimes you can convince em by getting them to look under the hood but don't count on it. Of course this is one of many reasons why I am no longer working in a garage (well except on my cars and a few close friends). Hmm that sounds a bit jaded but I'll let it ride.

- Eric

#170927 - 04/09/09 12:42 AM Re: Best multi-wrench and muti-screwdriver gear [Re: Eric]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Eric
Hmm that sounds a bit jaded but I'll let it ride.

- Eric

I understand that, have never worked in an automotive shop but i have seen how "other people" take care of their cars and even worse the "repairs" some shops do. But i do turn wrenches for friends and family so i have a few tools. And i consider my SnapOn tools to be top shelf and worth the money for some things i also have some tools in the other end of the scale that i purchased on sale at Harbor Freight. But i avoid the Harbor Freight wrenches because they tend to be knuckle busters unless you need a cheap wrench to modify with a torch and a grinder.

#170935 - 04/09/09 10:23 AM Re: Best multi-wrench and muti-screwdriver gear [Re: RayW]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

When I first got married and went to change the oil in my wife's car for the first time the drain plug head was so messes up it took me hours of filing and squeezing on visegrips then hammering them trying to get it out, I don't let anyone work on my vehicles unless I have to.

I've looked at some of those ratcheting wrenches and while they may all come from the same idea the quality of the machining differs, the snap on ones felt a lot smoother and tighter than the sears ones.

#170947 - 04/09/09 01:24 PM Re: Best multi-wrench and muti-screwdriver gear [Re: Eugene]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Bless me for being cheap.
I buy a lot of high quality older tools at flea markets, pawn shops and estate sales.
The good name brands from years ago outlived their original owners and none of their kids want them.

This is especially true with sockets and box end wrenches. So buy your ratchet handle new because ratchet handles wear out. Then you can spend 30 dollars on loose sockets and wrenches, instead of about 300 dollars on them as a brand new set.

Again, I like the mix and match option that gives me. I find that a full socket set is a waste in most vehicles when you really only want 3 or 4 different sizes of sockets, with 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 or 9/16ths being the most likely imperial sizes or the same basic wrenches in metric.
The special wrenches like for spark plugs and wheel lugs are best purchased separately too.

If you are not careful it is really easy to buy too many tools and end up with thousands of dollars tied up in gear you will only use once or twice in your life.

#171123 - 04/11/09 04:25 AM Re: Best multi-wrench and muti-screwdriver gear [Re: dweste]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

This thread is a pretty excellent discussion of tools to have and use.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 551 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
47 minutes 17 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.