Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170937 - 04/09/09 11:15 AM Provide Access to Emergency Responders?
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Howdy,

Given a lone resident that is injured or otherwise unable to unlock a door after placing a 911 call, how do you deal with the issue of granting access to emergency responders so that they aren't forced to break in?

Thanks for your feedback.

-- Grouch

#170939 - 04/09/09 11:47 AM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Grouch]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
The easiest and least costly way would be to install a key box with a four digit cipher lock on or near an entry door that would be used by emergency services. These key boxes are made by a major manufacturer and are readily available at most "big box" stores and hardwares. The box location and code can be given to the 911 operator at the time of the call or placed in the 911 database. Check with the local jurisdictions 911 director or supervisor concerning the requirements for this. Some folks give a key to a trusted friend or neighbor, but that dosen't always work as that person may not be available to respond.
The other side of the story is that emergency services will do whatever it takes to gain access to you if you need help. That means forcing doors, breaking glass, etc.
As an emergency responder, I have on numerous ocassions, had to do physical damage to property to gain access. Whatever it takes.

#170940 - 04/09/09 12:47 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: rescueguru]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

I'm an LEO so I am also familiar with forcible entry but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. I've responded to calls where there were poorly hidden keys and others where we had to force entry but never to a call where there was a lock box. I like that idea so I think I'll call our 911 folks to see if they can enter the info in the 911 database. Thanks!

#170946 - 04/09/09 01:18 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Grouch]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I personally had to go through this a couple years myself. It was night, my wife was on a business trip, and I was suddenly stricken with agonizing abdominal pain. I couldn't even move enough to reach the phone for hours, let alone unlock the front door. However, I did have plenty of time to envision fire fighters breaking down my door and worrying about what might happen to my house while I'm off at the ER with a busted front door. In my case, the pain eventually subsided enough for me to reach the phone and also unlock the front door.

I had thought of two other possibilities besides the lock box: a combination code lockset and keeping your garage door opener handy. The combination locksets can be programmed with any combination so memorize one to give to the dispatcher. With the garage door opener, even if you keep the door from the garage into the house locked, at least if EMS has to force the inner door, the garage door is still intact and can be closed again when everyone leaves.

Still, that's a tough situation and if it's truly an emergency, they have to do what they have to do to help you.

#170951 - 04/09/09 01:55 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Arney]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Yeah, I have a keypad and remote to open the overhead garage door but, in the event that the emergency occurs during a power outage, I'd rather have a key available. The lock box seems the easiest solution so long as the combination can easily be conveyed to emergency personnel.

My most immediate concern is for an elderly family member who recently took a bad fall. She would have been very hard pressed to unlock the door and it was just plain good luck that I was there to handle the situation. I don't want to eliminate good luck from the equation but I sure don't want to rely on it. wink

#170954 - 04/09/09 02:16 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Grouch]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Oh, I remember that I had one more idea while waiting for my pain to subside. Install an extra keyed deadbolt on the front door but leave it unlocked. Put the key and sign near/next to the front door (not on the back of the door, since that will likely remain open and hidden the entire time EMS is there) telling EMS what the key is for. That way, assuming the door jamb isn't too damaged, they can lock up on their way out even if the patient doesn't remember to mention the key.

My father had a stroke ten years ago and the fire department had to force the door at their house. Amazingly, I couldn't tell that the door had been forced open, so don't necessarily assume that the door is completely unusable after being forced open. (Although it also did make me wonder how secure that door really is...)

Hope your relative recovers soon. Just one bad fall can really take a toll on people when they're older.

#170960 - 04/09/09 02:36 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Grouch]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
We generally used an ax as a pass key.

#170970 - 04/09/09 03:41 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Arney]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Arney
Oh, I remember that I had one more idea while waiting for my pain to subside. Install an extra keyed deadbolt on the front door but leave it unlocked. Put the key and sign near/next to the front door (not on the back of the door, since that will likely remain open and hidden the entire time EMS is there) telling EMS what the key is for. That way, assuming the door jamb isn't too damaged, they can lock up on their way out even if the patient doesn't remember to mention the key

Good idea! Maybe I'll order a keyless deadbolt so that only a sign is necessary.

#170973 - 04/09/09 03:56 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Grouch]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Hey, that keyless deadbolt is nifty.

Actually, I just realized a potential flaw in my idea, so keep this in mind. My thinking is that if you leave the deadbolt unlocked, then the fire department won't necessarily damage the door jamb where that deadbolt is. That's why they can lock up when they leave.

But that's an assumption, I guess. If they see the deadbolt face from the outside, who's to say that they won't take an ax or a Haligan to it? So, my assumption is that they'll try to pry the door near the main lockset first, and hopefully the door just pops open and they'll leave this unlocked deadbolt alone and it is undamaged and can be locked behind them.

Actually, so that's one potential reason NOT to use that keyless deadbolt. If it's already locked when EMS gets there, they might have to damage the door jamb to get inside. However, if they can get the door open without damaging the jamb, even if the keyless deadbolt is locked, then that would be an idea on how to lock up after they're done.

#170977 - 04/09/09 04:05 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Arney]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

I was thinking that the keyless deadbolt would just provide a good way for emergency personnel to lock the door without any input from the person being hauled out. If the door is Martinated, all bets are off. wink

#170986 - 04/09/09 05:29 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Grouch]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I have a Knox Box http://www.knoxbox.com/store/search-resu...70959?Cat_ID=47 on my front door the local FD has a key to access the box, with my house keys inside the box.

#170999 - 04/09/09 07:01 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Stu]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Get a keypad deadbolt. Be sure and get a good quality one ("Schlage" - however you spell that - are good). The KwikSet ones are allegedly junk. Little cheap motors that drive cheap plastic gears to move the deadbolt. The deadbolt material itself is fine, the internal mechanism is not. Get one where the deadbolt is made "live" by the correct entry code, but you still have to manually turn a knob to move the deadbolt after entering the code. These are much stronger and better locks. It goes without saying that you want one with a key bypass, but I think they all come with this feature (your battery will eventually die on you, locking you out without a key bypass). I think these locks (the good ones) run between $100 and $150.

#171008 - 04/09/09 07:28 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: haertig]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
I used to wonder how FD would get into your home if you were incapacitated. Then I watched a video/photos of FD using a Halligan bar for forced entry. I think someone here posted a link. No fear of them not getting in now. Martin's suggestion will also work! grin laugh

Edited by Mike_in_NKY (04/09/09 07:28 PM)

#171010 - 04/09/09 07:34 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Other than a fortified bunker with no windows, I doubt there are many houses that could not be easily entered by the FD or PD in an emergency. You might need to replace a window or a doorjam after entry, but that is a minor deal in the big scheme of things. My son accidentally "entered" our house the other day with a misplaced slapshot - the hockey puck went right through the window without encountering any formidable resistance!

#171067 - 04/10/09 04:07 AM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: haertig]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Yup, I'd rather save the cash to repair the broken door or window AFTER the forced entry. The emergency responders are pros and have no trouble getting into locked places. I'm not sure investing in a keypad deadbolt or any other gadget would accomplish anything.

#171120 - 04/11/09 02:51 AM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Tom_L]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Yup, I'd rather save the cash to repair the broken door or window AFTER the forced entry. The emergency responders are pros and have no trouble getting into locked places. I'm not sure investing in a keypad deadbolt or any other gadget would accomplish anything.

I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks up front for a key box to avoid the damage caused by forced entry.

In looking at the Knox product line (thanks, SBRaider!), I have learned that they work with fire departments by providing master keys to FD's for at least one of their boxes (the 1650 Knox Residential model). The FD has the ONLY key to the box so it is emergency personnel only. I like that idea and I'll be contacting our FD to find out if they are on board with Knox.

Thanks to everyone for your input. smile

#171138 - 04/11/09 03:51 PM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Grouch]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
We have them on our apartment buildings. IMHO they have saved us a ton of time and money by not having to replace locks and doors after an emergency situation. I do know a record is kept every time the FD to access the box. I believe a radio signal is sent to dispatch to the responding unit, releasing the access key for use. Seems like a fairly secure system.

#171201 - 04/13/09 04:09 AM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Stu]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
I have a Knox Box http://www.knoxbox.com/store/search-resu...70959?Cat_ID=47 on my front door the local FD has a key to access the box, with my house keys inside the box.

Those are the good stuff, I've installed a bunch of those. Those boxes are pretty much indestructible, too, so you don't have to worry about a thief getting the key out and using it to gain entry.

They even make them with tamper switches that can be tied into your security system, so if (by some miracle) someone does manage to open the box or they rip it off the wall, the alarm will go off. They cost a little more than the standard model.

#171202 - 04/13/09 04:17 AM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: Stu]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
We have them on our apartment buildings. IMHO they have saved us a ton of time and money by not having to replace locks and doors after an emergency situation. I do know a record is kept every time the FD to access the box. I believe a radio signal is sent to dispatch to the responding unit, releasing the access key for use. Seems like a fairly secure system.

That's what a local fire marshal told me the other day while we were discussing Knox boxes while hanging out on a job site. They have a box in the fire truck that can only be opened by receiving a computer signal from the 911 dispatch center.

Every time the box on the fire truck is opened, a log entry is made of who authorized the box being opened, who removed the key, the time the box was opened, the time it was closed, and which key was removed.

We mount them in the vicinity of the front door to buildings, outside of sprinkler riser rooms, and outside of machine/electrical rooms containing fire alarm control units. They come with a sticker to affix to the door letting the FD know there's a Knox box in the vicinity of the door before they chop it open.

#171261 - 04/14/09 01:49 AM Re: Provide Access to Emergency Responders? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

So, my FD is good to go with the Knox boxes and they said that they wished more people would install them. I'll soon be placing an order for the residential model with the bracket that hooks over the top of the door.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback.

[I hope my posts don't get deleted from this thread like they did earlier today in another thread.]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 562 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.