Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#175384 - 06/28/09 03:16 PM Re: New book, "Patriots" by James Rawles [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
It's available as a .pdf download here:
http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/friends_links.html

#175385 - 06/28/09 03:25 PM Re: New book, "Patriots" by James Rawles [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Either way I suggest Lights Out over Patriots ANY DAY.

Is "Lights Out" available in a printed book form?

I wish.

I read it on the computer in PDF and then printed it, way to many printed pages, ahaha.

I hope someday they make it into a "BOOK".

#175387 - 06/28/09 04:00 PM Re: New book, "Patriots" by James Rawles [Re: UncleGoo]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: UncleGoo

Yep, I've had that for awhile, I just can't stand to read a PC screen that long!

#175392 - 06/28/09 05:38 PM Re: New book, "Patriots" by James Rawles [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
Originally Posted By: UncleGoo

Yep, I've had that for awhile, I just can't stand to read a PC screen that long!

I don't suggest printing unless you have a laser wink We did it chapter by chapter, and still the stack you end up with when done is HUGE.

Consider taking it into Kinkos and having them print/bind it that may be a good idea.

#175413 - 06/29/09 04:51 AM Re: New book, "Patriots" by James Rawles [Re: Todd W]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

With due respect to Mr.Rawles I really think that downloading a copy is not really the best way to go. The download looks to be one of the earlier versions and most likely lacks the last few chapters and some of the later tweaking that got done in later versions. I also think that buying the book has advantages.

To start with Rawles wrote it and, as much as I think it isn't high literature and isn't much of a survival guide, it is not entirely without value as survivalist fiction. It is something of a touchstone within the community and a valuable window into what the thinking was in Survivalism of the late 70s. Survivalism that hasn't changed that much over thirty years and which remains the evil stalking twin of preparedness and practical survival.

Burt Gummer in "Tremors" was a kinder, gentler version of that sort of bunker survivalism. "Patriots" fills in more of the dark, resentment and conspiracy filled corners of the genre but fails to climb the heights. It is IMHO just needlessly violence centered enough to be annoying and just gear focused enough to miss the point. Fun casual reading but to get the full flavor of gratuitous violence and gear fetishism look up Jerry Ahern and his "Survivalist" series. Plenty of material there, twenty-seven books of it. By the time you get through the first few books the need to read the rest diminishes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Survivalist
Check the link for names of other writers in the genre and a useful guide to the "Survivalist" series.

In terms of buying versus downloading I also think that authors deserve to be paid for their efforts. Buying it from Rawles, or a vendor, gets you a hard copy book you can comfortably read in bed, keep on your bookshelf and loan out to friends. The actual cost of the book, including S&H, isn't much more than what you would send in paper, ink, wear and tear on your printer if you download and print it out.

#175429 - 06/29/09 03:29 PM Re: New book, "Patriots" by James Rawles [Re: Art_in_FL]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Hey I liked Bert from Tremors!

Who hasn't looked longingly at that wall in his basement?

#175467 - 06/30/09 12:56 PM Re: New book, "Patriots" by James Rawles [Re: comms]
jjmagnum Offline

Perhaps because I read "Lucifer's Hammer" in the 80's I enjoyed it more (it wasn't very out-dated at that time). From another perspective I also read "Patriots". If you take it as a "post-crash apocolypse" novel and read it for entertainment it isn't half bad. It does get "preachy" in places, but hey, some folks are like that, so reading about them isn't necessarily a bad thing. These are, after all, the author's characters, not mine.

"Patriots" for me was a read-it-think-about-it book. Others are merely entertainment.

How many of you also read Jerry Ahern's "The Survivalist"????

I have drooled over owning a pair of Detonics Combat Masters ever since...

#175470 - 06/30/09 01:18 PM Re: New book, "Patriots" by James Rawles [Re: jjmagnum]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
[quote=jjmagnum]PHow many of you also read Jerry Ahern's "The Survivalist"????/quote]

If the world ended today, could John Thomas Roarke survive?

laugh

What a flashback!!!

Edited by Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp (06/30/09 01:18 PM)

#175499 - 06/30/09 10:31 PM Re: New book, "Patriots" by James Rawles [Re: Art_in_FL]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Burt Gummer in "Tremors" was a kinder, gentler version of that sort of bunker survivalism.

My all time favorite movie! You can never accuse Tremors of taking itself too seriously! laugh

Yes, when the camera panned back on the wall everyone busts out laughing...

#175523 - 07/01/09 01:39 PM Re: New book, "Patriots" by James Rawles [Re: sodak]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, I finished reading the two sections of "Lights Out" that were on the website. Seems to end rather abruptly. Is there any more to the story than those twenty chapters? It doesn't say anything more about it on the website on in the text.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.