Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1694 - 09/18/01 04:59 PM Open Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can't believe I'm asking this...<br><br>Here's the deal. Some of the people who have known me for some time, and never had the least interest in survival matters, are understandably suddenly interested in some narrow aspects. Some knew that I made modest preparations for Y2K (nothing drastic, just backup water, food, heat, light) and so, apparently, I now come to mind.. and what they want to know about is gas masks. Where to find them, what to buy. Obviously the main concern is biological.<br><br>Well, I was never nearly that paranoid about Y2k, so I have little expertise to offer. The last time I looked, probably back in the '80s, the market seemed flooded with Israeli civilian models, which seem scarce now. I know about canteen caps & connectors, and barf tubes, but it seems that this is yet another US military item that's not available to civilians, not even as surplus (and doesn't THAT make you wonder).<br><br>I guess I'm not particularly interested in a discussion of whether or not their fear is warranted- in either case, it's quite real, and this is what they want to do. This is the DC Metro area, and some of these folks work in the middle of downtown.<br><br>Anyone care to weigh in with some real info?<br><br>Thanks in advance.<br><br>

#1695 - 09/18/01 06:18 PM Re: Open Question
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Everyone is looking for a 'canary' to take into the mines of what used to be a 'safe' environment. The hysteria continues; initial gas price gouging, increased firearms purchases and panic buying of food. Surplus is a fascinating market. Items once common and virtually unsaleable are today's hot ticket. Gas masks have been purchased heavily by protestors involved in the WTO issue as a countermeasure to tear gas and pepper spray. I've seen all manner in use; Israeli, Soviet, U.S. issue and NATO. You will need to determine if the actual filter is interchangeable, ie. NATO with U.S. and how well they fit. Masks intended for troops may not fit a child.If the demand continues, the dealers will find supplies. Just prepare for sticker shock. If an attack were to occur, remember that there are many skin agents that do not require inhalation. <br><br>

#1696 - 09/18/01 09:36 PM addendum Re: Open Question
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just talked with Major Surplus. All the wholesalers have increased the cost of gas masks. The good news is the filters are fully interchangeable between the latest Israeli, Soviet/Russian, Nato and U.S. issue units. refrain from buying anything but new unissued units.Average price is @ $30.00 with replacement filters @ $5<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chris Kavanaugh on 09/18/01 02:41 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#1697 - 09/19/01 01:14 AM Re: Open Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everyone,<br><br>I think that it's terrible that companies are taking advantage of people's fear by gouging them. I bought an Israeli mask for $12 with the filter about 7 months ago. I've seen them on the internet for $40+. I consider such business people predators.<br><br>If you are still interested in buying them, a good place to try is flea markets and your local mom and pop surplus shops.<br><br>I would not say that such fear is not warranted. The last thing I want to do is to incite anyone to panic, but I know a few points about biological warfare issues and would like to say a few things for the benefit of all.<br><br>Anthrax is an example of a bacteria that will transmit through skin (cutaneously). It will also transmit through inhalation and eating. It is naturally occurring and relatively easy to produce. Much easier to produce, than say, some nerve agents and all nuclear weapons. I feel it would be a natural choice for terrorists.<br><br>This is particularly unsettling because Anthrax has an incubation period of approximately one week. If you would imagine a scenario (God forbid) where someone loads a crop duster and flies over L.A. or Cleveland, thousands of people would be infected and not necessarily know it; many would mistake it for the common cold. Once you realize you are infected, you will die in 1-2 days unless a heroic antibiotic regiment is started before acute symptoms appear.<br><br>Many bacteria, spores, and viruses can stay dormant without a host. In our doomsday scenario, the city would have to be sterilized before civilians could resume life. Every crevace would have to be investigated: air ducts, dumpsters, mail boxes, etc. Such spores would have to be eradicated.<br><br>On the subject of vaccines: to my knowledge, vaccines are not widely available to the general public. Vaccines are administered to "high risk" occupations. If Anthrax were to be released on a civilian population, the United States stockpile of vaccines would be pathetically inadequate.<br><br>DoD recognizes the risk of Anthrax to all military personnel. In fact, they are beginning mandatory immunization to everyone in the armed forces, not just infantry or "front lines" people.<br><br>I live near Dayton, Ohio. I read in a local newspaper a couple of weeks ago that the US government built an anthrax lab for the sole purpose of researching mutations for vaccines. It exists in the US already. The point? The Government directly and indirectly acknowledges the threat.<br><br>What can you do to keep safe? I'm open to suggestions.<br><br>Large cities would obviously be more at risk, unless the government shoots down a loaded plane over your town.<br><br>Unless you want to live your whole life in a bio suit, there is not much you can do short of getting the vaccine. And then, that is only one germ you are immune to. All immunizations have to be maintained.<br><br>The best defense is to keep aware of any odd symptoms that you or yours develop (out of season colds, difficulty breathing, strange rashes) - the key is to detect it early, as in yesterday.<br><br>Please, I am not trying to scare anyone, but keep in mind this scenario is quite real; many other germs and agents exist. I believe that the only real solution is to make sure that the organizations and people that have bio laboratories get them permanently shut down- you just can't keep getting vaccinated every year for all possible strains and mutations.<br><br>I like to think that when I call in to radio stations and the like, journalists will start to get more familiar with biological warfare issues. The more they are familiar, the more they ask the government officials. Hopefully the increased awareness will lead to solutions.<br><br><br><br>Peace and God Bless America<br><br>Chris

#1698 - 09/19/01 01:51 PM Re: Open Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would be leery of buying most surplus masks and filters, as they are just that surplus, either because they are no longer servicable or out of date in most cases. I would avoid anything that I could not get a FRESH, newly manufactured filter for. Finally, I would not count on interchanability of filters. In my experience, that is not the case.<br>gasmasks.com is a good site for new stuff. If your concern is solely bio hazard, you can get a mask with a HEPA/particle filter from someplace like Labsafety. <br>As a member of a WMD team sponsored by the USPHS, we use commercial, off the shelf stuff for NBC protection.<br><br>Jeffery S. Anderson, M.D.<br><br>

#1699 - 09/19/01 04:00 PM Re: Open Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Regarding Anthrax, the type of infection following a terrorist incident would be pulmonary, spread by inhalation of the spores. Cutaneous infection is only encountered in slaughterhouse personnel that handle infected meat and hides.<br>I would again caution people against relying on flea market surplus junk. You are betting your life on something that a governmental agency junked and has been stored under less than ideal conditions.<br>My federally sponsored teams use a commercially available PAPR, a powered respirator. That is not necessary for most people. MSR makes a domestic terrorism full face respirator that is listed in the LabSafety catalog.<br><br>Jeffery S. Anderson, M.D.<br><br>

#1700 - 09/19/01 05:05 PM Re: Open Question
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Just last night, one of the local news stations reported that the city of Oak Park, a suburb of Chicago, has a biological emergency plan on place. The two most likely agents mentioned were Anthrax and Small Pox. Their plan basically isolates their medical facilities where discovered in order to reduce the spread. Hospital staff and local physicians have received the plan, which includes symtoms and signs of an infection, as well as veterinaians as they may see symptoms in animals before infected humans may bother to see a physician.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1701 - 09/19/01 08:38 PM Re: Open Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting. Beachdoc, are you saying that even if the spores made contact with your skin, you would not get infected?<br><br>Under what conditions exist in a slaughterhouse that would put people at risk, but not pose a risk if released airborne?<br><br>About the whole flea market thing: yes, there is a lot of junk at flea markets. There is a lot of good quality stuff as well; it all depends on who you buy from. I check for airtight seals and no visual signs of damage. I've been able to find new, unused masks with seals still on the filters. I wouldn't discount it right off the bat, though.<br><br><br><br>Peace and God Bless America<br><br>Chris

#1702 - 09/19/01 09:38 PM Re: Open Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

The risk with anthrax to slaughterhouse workers is all the little breaks in the skin associated with using knives and contact with sharp bones and chapped hands.<br>Anthrax as a biological weapon is an aerosol threat. The spores are very resistant to light, drying, and environmental heat.<br><br>Jeffery S. Anderson, M.D.<br><br>

#1703 - 09/19/01 10:56 PM Re: Open Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I stand corrected in stating that the threat is inhalation. The primary threat is inhalation. Entry through an open wound is possible but FAR less lethal.<br>Clinical anthrax is not transmissable between people.<br><br>Jeffery S. Anderson, M.D.<br><br>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.