Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#169818 - 03/20/09 02:24 PM Re: A sad reinder [Re: Jesselp]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
++++++++1

I've already told my wife to keep it short. Basically, no heroic or extraordinary measures. Like Jesselp I have a strong belief of where I am going and I will like wise be resting and waiting for her to join me.

BTW we had this conversation when were in our early 30's. It should be part of pre-marriage counseling.

#169819 - 03/20/09 02:48 PM Re: A sad reinder [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I think I read somewhere that even falling onto your head a distance of less than 3 feet can cause brain swelling and fracture.

Yes, certainly a shocking tragedy. From what little I have read, she didn't seem to have actually hit her head on the ground, which makes the lethal outcome of her seemingly harmless fall on the bunny slope unusual.

Another point that is important to keep in mind is that you could feel totally fine after a head injury. You don't have to be knocked unconscious or see stars to suffer a potentially lethal head injury. When there is bleeding or swelling involved, it could take hours before the bleeding or swelling progresses to the point that any symptoms appear.

Richardson probably felt completely fine at first--"Yeah, I fell down, ha ha!" Which would make it completely understandable that the responding ambulance was told that they weren't needed. Only after some time had passed and the blood from her epidural hematoma collected enough to really start pressing on her brain did she feel any effects, like a headache. If you suspect someone might have a head injury but shows no symptoms, it's still probably a good idea to check on the person periodically for at least 12 hours, even if they're sleeping. Wake the person to check on their condition and mental status. Explain to them to report any symptoms like headaches, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, etc. so someone can take them to the ER to get checked out. Actually, that's one of the ironic things about brain injury--if you go to the ER right after the injury, there might not be anything to find because not enough swelling or bleeding has occurred yet.

This is a whole 'nother topic, but perhaps the Richardson tragedy might raise more awareness of another potentially big problem out there. There are probably a lot of service members coming home, or who have come home, with brain injuries recently who don't know that they are injured and that the consequences are not only physical. These wars, in particular, have exposed soldiers to a lot of concussive forces from land mines, IED's, and other explosives. Even if there isn't a scratch on you, the force of the explosion can literally rattle the brain inside your skull and cause a brain injury. Even mild injuries can permanently affect your ability to concentrate, your emotional control, alter your personality, affect your memory--basically hinder your ability to work, maintain personal relationships, and function as a contributing member of society.

Unfortunately, we don't hear much about it at all in the media since mild brain injuries are still a little understood area of medicine. And there is also probably a lot of psychological trauma in these vets, too, which makes it difficult for people to figure out why someone came home from the sandbox as a different person, can't hold a job, was always loving but just argues with me now, etc. Did this person have psychological problems, or is it actually the consequence of a brain injury? Add the effects of alcohol and substance abuse that too many vets with "issues" resort to on top of that and the true underlying reasons for these problems is hard to see.

#169841 - 03/20/09 08:30 PM Re: A sad reinder [Re: Arney]
LED Offline
Veteran

Wow, growing up I did every activity you could imagine with little or no protection. But so did everyone I knew. We all got banged up pretty good numerous times, but amazingly nothing too serious.

Originally Posted By: Arney

Unfortunately, we don't hear much about it at all in the media since mild brain injuries are still a little understood area of medicine. And there is also probably a lot of psychological trauma out there, too, which makes it difficult for people to figure out why someone came home from the sandbox as a different person, can't hold a job, was always loving but just argues with me now, etc. Did this person have psychological problems, or is it actually the consequence of a brain injury? Add the effects of alcohol and substance abuse on top of that and the true underlying reasons for these problems is hard to see.

Great point. I think this goes hand in hand with our societal stigma and lack of resources in general when dealing with mental illness. I've come to understand why many homeless people have mental issues, even those with active, caring families. Most likely they slipped through the cracks. You'd be amazed how few resources there are available when trying to seek targeted, effective help for a loved one.

#169873 - 03/21/09 04:21 AM Re: A sad reinder [Re: LED]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have quite a history of head injuries and I wear a helmet on any activity that I could hit my head, which is a lot. I do actually take it with me to the backcountry. I use a Pro-Tech Ace with a newer impact foam called SXP. To take my safety one step farther, I have not played a single team contact sport since 1986. Not even pick up games. A push on the court or an unintentional tackle could be 'all she wrote' if i hit my head.

I have had my skull split open by a garden hoe being chopped into my head. A nice scar creates a new part in my hairline.

At 16 I was in a car accident and suffered massive head trauma in a closed head injury. I lost all my memory and had to learn to read, walk, talk, drive and all my friends and family all over again. Its has shaped my life like nothing before or since. I never recovered my memory. I have no emotional or visual reaction to anything in my youth.

I have had a total of 13 concussions, at least 8 where I have been knocked unconscious. My last was November 2007. It took me 3 months to recover fully.

I was very moved when I heard about Natasha Richardson. While our accidents were different, the following hours were identical. I was lucid and active for about four hours, then started having seizures and blacking out. The next morning i woke up with amnesia and slightly paralyzed from the accident. it took me 1.5 years to become functional and another 6 before i feel I was able to pass as 'normal'

#169906 - 03/21/09 05:04 PM Re: A sad reinder [Re: comms]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It's a sad thing when a woman is more worried about a safety helmet flattening down her hair so she looks less than perfect when she takes it off, or refusing medical aid because, as an actress, she obviously knows more about head injuries than others.

She was a very pretty woman. Not very smart, but very pretty.

Sue

#169908 - 03/21/09 05:16 PM Re: A sad reinder [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Now they're blaming it on the lack of an air ambulance. I would think that the real ambulance complete with EMT's would have been a good start. Never turn down a free ambulance ride.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.