Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1714 - 09/20/01 06:26 PM Re: bio weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>The thinking is that viruses are not a likely threat.<<<br><br>I sure hope you are right, Beachdoc. Before last week, the thinking was that 4 small groups of suicidal hijackers crashing 4 airliners into 3 important buildings simultaneously was not a likely threat.<br><br>I see the possible backlash of using a viral weapon and I hope the terrorists have similar values about that kind of thing. Right now, I am not completely comforted by that assumption. I don't know what their values are. I also don't understand what the values of the Jim Jones cult was but people who are eager to die for a cause may not be motivated by the same fears that you and I would be. I don't know if it is possible to predict psychotic behavior.<br><br>Here's hoping that the current worldwide anti-terrorist sentiment will result in effective policies that keep us from ever finding out.<br><br>

#1715 - 09/21/01 01:40 PM Re: ANSWER
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Thanks for clarifying the issues. As usual, knowledge goes a long way towards quelling fear and chaos.<br><br>Regarding Small Pox, I know the international effort eradicated Small Pox, except for scientific samples in Russia and our own CDC. Is there a clinical reason to not innocluate against the disease or is it purely deemed uneccesary and too expensive. I know U.S. service men are being inoculated for Anthrax, would a Small Pox vacine be prudent as well? Or is the risk of the virus escaping or being used by terrorist so small that's it's not even worth considering?<br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1716 - 09/21/01 03:30 PM Re: ANSWER
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a retired reservist, I am not aware of current requirements. However, the CDC site says that US military personnel are immunized against smallpox. While I can vouch for that occuring in the 70's, I know it to not be true in the mid 90's. Things change.<br>There is NO available vaccine for either anthrax or smallpox available to the general public. Anthrax WAS available, with permission of the DOD, about a year ago, was very expensive and the manufacturer required purchase of a significant amount (prohibitive for most MD's)<br><br>IMHO, I believe that if the feds view smallpox to be a meaningful threat, they should manufacture and distribute the vaccine.<br><br>Jeffery S. Anderson, M.D.<br><br>

#1717 - 09/25/01 03:00 AM Mask usage
Anonymous
Unregistered

Remember, for a mask or any other PPE to be effective it must be donned BEFORE the incident. You will most likely have no warning of the release of the agent, especially the release of a bio agent as the incubation period can be as long as 12 days.<br><br>Masks are good if:<br>You have it with you at all times.<br>If you have the correct filters, the mask integrity is not compromised and the fit is correct.<br>If you have enough warning to don the mask before you contact the agent.<br><br>I would be much more concerned about chem agents as they are easier to produce, do not require specific conditions to thrive and are easier to disperse.<br><br>Just my humble opinion.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by REELDOC on 09/24/01 08:01 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#1718 - 09/25/01 03:13 AM Interesting Hood [Was: Re: ANSWER]
jet Offline
Enthusiast

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on an interesting b/c hood I saw at http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.e...2c&37;2Etam<br>It's mentioned at http://www.tacda.org/products/q2k.html also, but they don't have it available yet.<br><br>Stay safe,<br>J.T.

#1719 - 09/30/01 07:06 PM Re: bio weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

BEACHDOC, <br> Thank you for a voice of reason in these times of panic! wink As someone formerly involved in Medical response to B/C attacks as they relate to Antiterrorism forces, I appreciate the sound advice you have dispensed here.<br> As for the previous post, Viral agents for the most part have been assumed to be of a lesser Terrorist threat, due to the logistics of dispersal (as you noted regarding infected Martyrs), poor resilliance of the Agent in question, and incubation period required for symptoms to appear (Terrorists depend on public outcry to further their agenda). Anthrax is suitable as an Agent of infection due to its spore qualities (i.e. longevity) and relative ease of of dispersal and longevity. Logistic problems, again, limit it's effectiveness as an instrument of Terror. Far more likely, IMHO, is the production and delivery of a limited quantity of a biological/chemical agent as "Proof" , and the subsequent "Threat" to deploy same by Terrorists. <br> I see a paranoia of the unknown that could be greatly be relieved by serious research (other than just internet posts). <br> Cited mortality stats of isolated Marburg/Ebola incidents, "proof" of inferior PPE "causing" Gulf War Syndrome, and other misinformation do little to help citizens to adequately prepare for actual possibilities.<br> Anyone who has actually responded to natural disasters, civil unrest and combat situations will most likely agree that basic sanitation and the disruption of public utilities pose a greater health threat than any known or projected C/B threat from a terrorist organization or "Lone Wolf". For those seriously concerned about Biological warfare, time spent on self education regarding proper sanitation following a disaster is time well spent. Good health, potable water, proper food handling and personal hygeine are your first line of defense against any infective agent. The Red Cross and FEMA both have excellent information on these topics, as well as local Extension Agents (if applicable).<br><br>

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.