Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#169488 - 03/16/09 04:56 PM Alternative garden ideas
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, so I saw the ad on tv this weekend for something called a "Topsy Turvy", basically a collapisble 3 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom and a wire tri-hanger on top. They want $20 on their website, so being the frugal man I am, I went on a cyber-quest. After checking out a number of different you-tube sites on the subject, I decided that we won't go waste $50 a unit on those stand type upside down garden containers. Instead, we will buy up a dozen or so 3 liter pop bottles at the local dollar store and build them into upside down hanging pots. We will be planting zuchinni, regular and cherry tomatoes, and three types of pepper plants.

Many of the sites showed people using 5 gallon buckets, but I think that is overkill. The plants don't need that much soil to grow in, and 3 liter containers seem a lot easier to handle anyways. We will put the primary plants out through the spigot opening, which will be the bottom once it is hung, and plant herbs or some such small growing plants in the cutaway base section which will become the top. I can put eyelets in the eaves along the southern wall enough for a dozen containers, and I have plenty of copper wire to use as the hanger on the bottles. If we get a nasty wind storm or something, the containers will be easy to locate using the roof rafters in the garage as alternate hanging stations until the storm passes.

Not quite as prolific as what I had in mind earlier, but big enough for us, and plenty clandestine as well, in case someone wants to look in on us, it won't be a typical garden footprint.

#169519 - 03/16/09 11:24 PM Re: Alternative garden ideas [Re: benjammin]
BraveheartsProgeny Offline
Stranger

I tried this last year with little success, but I think I know exactly what I did wrong.

I used 1/2 gallon milk jugs, and these let TOO much light into the root area. Walmart is now selling their own version of the Upsy Tomatoes ($7 here), and I thoroughly examined their set up. Sure enough, that and every other I've looked at online are pretty solid, not letting much if any light get to the roots.

I plan to repeat the experiment again this year, but will shield the roots from any potential sunshine. Haven't decided if I will paint the outside or newspaper the inside.

jane b

#169541 - 03/17/09 05:37 AM Re: Alternative garden ideas [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Jane brought up a good point about the clear containers causing problems. Roots don't like light, but they like to stretch out. Most potting soils are dark and will absorb heat, and most roots don't like too much heat -- enough, but not too much.

Three liter containers may provide just enough soil, but it had better be GOOD soil with a good bit of compost, because what is in there is all the nutrients there are. If you have to water it a lot to keep the soil moist, a lot of the nutrients will be washing out with the extra water. A pint or so of Worm Tea from an organic gardening source is fine, about one tablespoon of it mixed into one gallon of water, fed to the plants once a week. If you have your own homemade compost, put a couple of handfuls into a bucket and fill with water, stir well and feed weekly. Or the same thing with composted (not fresh) manure.

I wouldn't use chemical fertilizers here, as they would be running over the fruit, which they wouldn't ordinarily be doing if the plants were right-side-up.

By the way, if you see wilting in the afternoon but the containers are damp, they don't need more water; they've just had a little more sun than they need. If it keeps happening, try moving them to another spot that has a bit more shade. I've seen this with zucchini more than anything else.

I would really like to know how this idea works out, if you think of posting the results this summer/fall. What worked, what didn't.

Sue

#169551 - 03/17/09 12:40 PM Re: Alternative garden ideas [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Oh yes, I am starting with a superb organic soil, and I will amend it regularly to make sure the plant has all it needs nutritionally to go. Doing 3 liter pots I think will help with economics, as the volume needed won't be like building a full blown garden bed.

I wasn't aware of the sunlight on the roots issue. I will definitely take that into consideration. Most likely I will line the inside of the container with something, maybe newsprint if I can find any these days.

We will see how the experiment goes.

#169569 - 03/17/09 04:43 PM Re: Alternative garden ideas [Re: benjammin]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Interesting. Keep us posted. Photos would be good too.

#169589 - 03/17/09 08:07 PM Re: Alternative garden ideas [Re: DesertFox]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Pictures, doh!

#169628 - 03/18/09 03:14 AM Re: Alternative garden ideas [Re: benjammin]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Any reason they need to be upside down? Why not just use a pot?

#169715 - 03/19/09 06:04 AM Re: Alternative garden ideas [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Why not just use a pot?"

Hanging, they will be less at the mercy of ground-dwelling predators of all sizes, you wouldn't have to support them with stakes or a trellis, and the dog won't pee on them.

If you're using real compost, it will break down the newspaper long before the tomatoes are finished growing. Some of that black landscape fabric might do very well, however.

Sue

#169721 - 03/19/09 08:15 AM Re: Alternative garden ideas [Re: Susan]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I think (I am just guessing really) that three liters would not hold enough moisture for a good sized plant.
You might end up watering it three times a day.
It might also not allow enough root to grow and stunt the plants, as most plants seem to grow almost as much root as they do greens.

Again it is just a guess and your idea might work fine.
The only thing we ever planted in baskets was fuchsia for the humming birds so they would buzz around the house.

#169895 - 03/21/09 03:35 PM Re: Alternative garden ideas [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Actually I was thinking of recycling all those used up dryer sheets I seem to collect. They don't seem to break down, and are highly malleable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.