The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169405 - 03/15/09 09:13 PM Well, The "Other Shoe" Fell on Son#2
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Almost a year ago, we took in a young man I have referred to here often as son#2.

I did so against my better nature, but that is in the past.

Proving that no good deed goes unpunished, my beautiful wife and I had to throw his sorry A$$ out.

We had both noticed a change in the young man, but neither had spoken of it to the other. Then one afternoon he came home and left with a friend. When I realized he had not done his chores, I called to question him on it. He then informed me he was not coming home that night. I explained that was not an option, but well he didn't come home. I immediately searched the truck I bought for him to drive and found (yep, you guessed it) drugs.

Son#1 (my only son) was then invited to take urine and hair drug tests and passed with flying colors.

Also turns out he had been stealing our credit cards and getting purchases and cash advances we did not notice. (Small transactions that wound up with a big total when the bill came in.)

Upon returning to collect his belongings, the little turd wasn't even grateful for all we did for him. See this thread for more.

Just keep in mind, next time you feel too sorry for someone, there is often another "shoe" falling. The longer it takes to get to you, the worse the impact.

RIP OBG

#169408 - 03/15/09 09:30 PM Re: Well, The "Other Shoe" Fell on Son#2 [Re: Desperado]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I am most sorry it came to what it did. IMO, you did the right thing. But don't ever kick yourself for taking him in last year. Last year, it was also the right thing to do, and you would still be kicking yourself if you didn't. You tried. That's a lot more than many of the parents I see do. Hope all ends well, despite the turn of events.

#169409 - 03/15/09 09:31 PM Re: Well, The "Other Shoe" Fell on Son#2 [Re: Desperado]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
What a shame he squandered a good home and second chance.

Good for you and your family for trying.

A friend of mine stayed with us for awhile when I was a kid. She had a troubled past and had been in foster homes for a decade. She was so grateful she became a better daughter than I was.

#169417 - 03/15/09 10:59 PM Re: Well, The "Other Shoe" Fell on Son#2 [Re: Dagny]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
You still did the right thing. Some folks may squander a chance when it is given, but giving it in the first place is never a mistake. Something tells me you already know that though. I hope for you that the thefts and such were a short lived thing (recent). If he is in the grip of some serious drug monkey, he may still need help. Unfortunately though, ya gotta actually want the help. I'm hoping the cavalier attitude and lack of grattitude stems from the dope.

Anyway, I know it isn't much solace but the very fact that you did someone a solid is ALWAYS the right thing. You can't always dictate the outcome however. My hat's off to you and your family...sounds like good people to me.

#169435 - 03/16/09 02:46 AM Re: Well, The "Other Shoe" Fell on Son#2 [Re: yeti]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Yeah, I know doing the right thing and all, but this little SOB has really burned me good. Thank god I discovered it when I did, and that I had a K9 run thru the vehicle and house.

Little $4!7 had more stuff stashed in my house and in other places on the truck. That endangers MY FAMILY.

Now he has had the gumption to ask if he left anything behind by leaving a note on our door.

Once I file the complaint for credit card theft, I will let the local LEO's deliver the answer to his question.

RIP OBG

#169444 - 03/16/09 04:42 AM Re: Well, The "Other Shoe" Fell on Son#2 [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There's no way you could have seen in advance how the situation would have turned out. He could have turned out perfectly fine.

You did great -- he was the one who screwed up.

Sue

#169452 - 03/16/09 06:14 AM Re: Well, The "Other Shoe" Fell on Son#2 [Re: Desperado]
LED Offline
Veteran

As someone who's had a somewhat similar experience, I know it sounds odd but you should count yourself lucky to have discovered the problem at this stage where the damage can be undone. Hopefully it won't influence you to become less charitable but instead offer valuabe insight. The world needs good deeds like yours, now more than ever.

#169461 - 03/16/09 12:58 PM Re: Well, The "Other Shoe" Fell on Son#2 [Re: LED]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
When our oldest daughter was still in high school, we took in a friend of hers who was having a tough time living at home. We knew the girl beforehand, and checked her rep with our daughter and with other of her friends we new and felt we could reasonably trust. It turned out for the best, she was a fine guest, and it gave her and her mother time to deal with issues they were having. Now the girl is a staff seagent in the AF, is married to a fine man, and just had a baby boy. She refers to me as daddy and my wife as mommny to this day.

I would not normally open my house and our lives up to this sort of compromise, but there are some risks worth taking, especially if you do your homework beforehand. Nothing is ever for sure, you just have to do what you feel is right, and learn from the outcome of your decisions.

#169523 - 03/17/09 12:46 AM Re: Well, The "Other Shoe" Fell on Son#2 [Re: Desperado]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Desperado,

Don't be too hard on yourself, you did the right thing in the situation by taking the boy in, for the time he was under your care he was safe and secure. He knew the rules and decided to break them, he made his own decision.

Your heart was in the right place, but you can only carry people for so long.

Mike

#169529 - 03/17/09 02:46 AM Re: Well, The "Other Shoe" Fell on Son#2 [Re: SwampDonkey]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

The more I investigate, the more I would like to follow my old mantra....

Two in the chest and one in the head, leaves them dead.

SOB was robbing me blind and I didn't even notice it. Can't wait to testify in court on this one. Been a long time since I looked forward to going into a court room.

RIP OBG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 213 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.