Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#168887 - 03/07/09 02:31 PM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: scafool]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad I started this thread because it seems most "heavy duty" lighters out there deliver less than they promise.

So I guess the right quesiton would be, is there any reasonably priced lighter sturdy and reliable enough that you could actually depend on in the wilderness?

#168890 - 03/07/09 04:06 PM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: scafool]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: scafool
Rodion, if you are asking about how long butane stays good the answer is practically forever. So long as the refill can or the lighter are not leaking they can sit on the shelf for the rest of your life, and then be used to light the memorial candles on your grave.

heh heh I'll second that - had a refill cannister from the 70's that I found recently. I used it in my Blazer and the butane is working fine!

#168891 - 03/07/09 04:09 PM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: Tom_L]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad I started this thread because it seems most "heavy duty" lighters out there deliver less than they promise.

So I guess the right quesiton would be, is there any reasonably priced lighter sturdy and reliable enough that you could actually depend on in the wilderness?

I always carry backups to critical systems, ie dependable matches to lighter, compass to GPS, water tablets to filter, etc. That being said, I would trust my original Blazer as a primary.

#168895 - 03/07/09 06:11 PM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: BigToe]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Anyone but me had this problem ?

I an unable to get my windmill lighter to work properly over
7-8,000ft alt. no matter how I adjust the flame/fuel control.

#168897 - 03/07/09 06:56 PM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: Tom_L]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Tom_L

You mean besides Zippos which you have to carry extra fuel with, or rod type sparkers you need tinder for?

I tend to have quite a few Bics. I like the other brands which prevent the fuel button getting pressed and losing their fuel.
I know Iron Raven has a method of using electrician's nylon zip ties to wedge the fuel button up to prevent that too.

I tend to be like Thumb and carry lots of backup in the fire department. Spare lighters, sparkers, a small magnifying glass...
at this time everything except matches it seems, and we will likely pick up a box of them when we go shopping next time.

#168898 - 03/07/09 07:05 PM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: scafool]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
You mean besides Zippos which you have to carry extra fuel with, or rod type sparkers you need tinder for?

Like I said before, I routinely carry several backups. At least a couple of the following: magnesium firestarter, firesteel, matches, Zippo, BIC lighter. All of them work but each has some major drawback. Only the firesteel and magnesium are really foolproof as far as getting a spark BUT using them to light a fire in heavy rain is close to impossible unless you also have proper tinder at hand.

So all things considered, I'd just like to know if there is a truly reliable, low maintenance lighter out there. Because nothing works as well as open flame in the woods...

#168907 - 03/08/09 12:07 AM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: Tom_L]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Just for S&G, I'll throw this one out there - I carried a "permanent match" on my first few section hikes. That's the little rectangular box doped with lighter fluid that the striker with wick is screwed into: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_Match

It is very dependable although certainly not windproof. It doesn't have the evaporation problems Zippos have and can be used just as a striker if the fluid is gone...

Not a bad backup. I ended up with about 20 of these - someone had a batch on eBay of 70s vintage, with Big Bambu, ZigZag, etc. I picked them up cheap and gave them out as Christmas gifts. Ah, the memories;>

#168909 - 03/08/09 12:40 AM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: Tom_L]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
So all things considered, I'd just like to know if there is a truly reliable, low maintenance lighter out there. Because nothing works as well as open flame in the woods...

My British Army Knife needed a suitable companion, I thought the Zippo BLU might have been a contender but the Oubo lighter won out. The Oubo was more reliable and windproof lighter than the Zippo. The only downside is that it is not waterproof frown

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16699

Of course a stainless steel flashlight was needed as well.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18625

#168923 - 03/08/09 06:31 AM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: Tom_L]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I have seen many fancy turbo lighters. Many of them I helped people purchase (against my advice) when I worked for REI. Most were returned anyway.
I will never trust my life to one. They are unpredictable and temperamental at best.
Thanks for your research and experimentation but all of those lighters are questionable IMO.
Bics are all you should trust. Hell for the price you can carry a dozen Bics although you only need two.
I have found Bics in puddles on the ledges of cliffs in Yosemite, on hiking trails, at campsites that I could get lit in under 60 seconds. If they have gas and are not rusted then they WILL work sooner or later; if you know how to get em going.
Many turbos are very unreliable and all are over priced.
Sorry to rain on your parade.
I have used Bics at 14,000 feet without any issues more than once.
Bic and BSA Hot Spark....all you need..oh and matches too.
And maybe a nice aluminum Sparklite for fun.
Spend the $$ on a knife.

#168931 - 03/08/09 06:56 PM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: Safari]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Safari
Please complete the list.
(butane lighters for outdoor use: usable in windy weather, waterproof(/resistant),...)

Liberty Mountain Storm Lighter, $19
Fuel capacity?
http://www.libertymountain.com/shop/product.asp?p=48&pg=1&c=101&o=0&s=5

I have this one and use it regularly. The slide/push button lock works well as a safety and to open the lid. The small glass window gives me a pick at the propane level.

The first time I used this lighter at altitude I couldn't figure out why the flame was so inadequate. But after a "thump on the side of the head" I realised that I had set it for my home altitude of 1850 ft and that I need to adjust the flame height screw for my new location. Since then I haven't had an issue with it. You can adjust the flame height (actually it's more like a torch than a flame!) to suit your needs. It performs well in strong winds.

It has a rubber seal/gasket that is to prevent water from getting into the mechanism - I've never tested it as I always keep my wick dry! smile Survival gear should always kept in good condition, IMHO, otherwise what's the point?

I got mine in bright yellow - a lighter is not something you want to lose so I stayed away from green or brown or black. Dark colours are for city folk and not for out in the woods. smile I don't remember what I paid for it as that was many years ago, but it bears a painted logo from the store I bought it from.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.