Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#168831 - 03/06/09 06:30 PM Turboflame lighters review
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Some time ago I happened to be looking for a decent lighter to replace my Zippo. I almost bought a Brunton but the price seemed a little steep. A friend of mine advised me against a Brunton because he had one and was very much dissatisfied with it. So I took his advice and ordered a couple of Turboflame lighters from the UK:
http://www.turboflame.co.uk/

These lighters are marketed as windproof and heavy duty, specifically intended for hard outdoor use. The prices are reasonable so you can get one for a little over $15 with shipping on eBay.

Turbo2
http://www.turboflame.co.uk/turbo2.php

The first one is the Turbo2. It's a fairly small, conveniently sized butane lighter (piezo ignition) with twin nozzles that produce an absolutely ferocious double flame. The concentrated jet burns a lot hotter than a Zippo, more than enough to do some serious soldering. Another convenient feature is the little window that shows how much gas is left in the tank.

At first, I was impressed. The workmanship seemed decent. Soon however one of the two nozzles fell apart. The little perforated brass cylinder just slipped out. Apparently it's only kept together by friction fit and whatever the case, it came apart. The lighter no longer worked obviously. I repaired it and tapped the nozzle back in but doing so, the tiny ceramic shield (insulator) that surrounds the nozzles chipped and broke.

I experienced yet more problems with the gas flow. Refilling the tank it seemed a lot of air was still trapped inside. So the lighter simply wouldn't ignite. Reading the instructions in more detail and experimenting a bit I finally bled the tank completely, refilled, adjusted the gas flow and got it working.

Now my Turbo2 works just fine. Even without the insulator the body of the lighter doesn't get hot at all so I think what damage my »repair« caused was pretty much cosmetic. It lights very reliably, almost always on the first try. The high pressure flame burns in any position, even if the lighter is pointed upside down. As for being windproof, it can definitely manage a pretty strong breeze. Very strong winds are still a problem but all in all, the Turboflame is a great improvement over the BIC lighter.

Military
http://www.turboflame.co.uk/TForiginalRubber.php

The Military is slightly more compact and reminds me of a tiny hand grenade kind of. The basic principle is the same, piezo ignition, high pressure jet flame. The body is solid aluminum, partly painted green and partly rubberized. It has a single nozzle, no gas level window but there is a lock that lets you operate the lighter continuously for soldering up to 10 minutes. Longer than that is not recommended because it might damage the unit.

The nozzle on my Military seems solid so I had no problems in that department. I noticed right away that even though the unit looks heavy duty, the finish is not. There was an adhesive sticker with the serial number on the body and as I removed it a fairly sizeable chunk of green paint came off with it. I guess that adhesive was just way too strong, even for a "military" gadget. eek

To get the lighter work consistently I had to repeat the bleeding procedure again, very carefully. Once bled, refilled and adjusted properly it ignites reliably, though slightly less so than the Turbo 2. It sometimes takes two or three tries to light and it's also a tiny bit less resistant to wind. Probably because there's only one nozzle.

I also noticed a construction glitch – the burner assembly is attached to the body with two metal screws that happen to be electrically connected to the piezo. So if you grip the lighter just »right« you basically electrocute yourself while pressing the ignition button. Not a big deal but a bit unnecessary. I think I'll insulate those screws somehow to prevent it from happening in the future.

Verdict

I've used both lighters for a few weeks now. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the performance. The super hot flame is ideal for starting a fire even in rainy weather when you can't find dry tinder easily. The Turbo2 is especially powerful though the Military seems tougher and more foolproof.

For soldering and small repairs both lighters are very practical. The tip of the flame is even hot enough to heat treat small steel tools. As a hobbyist I find that a big bonus. Both units work reasonably well though the construction issues noted above detract from their value.

Like any other butane lighter, their performance suffers in cold weather. Keeping the lighter close to the body and shaking it before use solves most problems, at least where I live (it rarely gets much colder than 15°F here). Totally windproof they're not. They can't quite match a good Zippo in that regard but they're still windproof enough to be plenty useful even on a windy day.

While I wouldn't bet my life on a Turboflame, they sure beat a cheap BIC lighter and require far less regular attention than the good old Zippo. As long as I have some backup – I always carry at least two alternative methods for starting a fire outdoors – I feel any of the two reviewed Turbo Flame models is a useful addition to one's PSK.

#168845 - 03/06/09 09:22 PM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: Tom_L]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

I bought one of the original Blazer PB207 windproof lighters before they pulled them from the market, then susbequently reintroduced them with childproof features. The original is nice because it doesn't have any childproof feature preventing one hand operation and can be locked on. It also has a ring to allow it to stand up which in combination with the lock-on makes it valuable in an emergency firestarting situation. The flame is hot enough and controllable so it can be used for light soldering. The original is almost impossible to find now so I consider myself lucky. Also has a nice "cool" factor.

There's a good history at:
http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar...BCAB9026A6.html

#168847 - 03/06/09 09:36 PM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: BigToe]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
I've got a turboflame as well, good lighter but goes through gas very quickly.

#168858 - 03/07/09 12:24 AM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: Johno]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I had a Colibri that worked great, with a waterproof locking cap. It looks like Colibri might be going out of business (whatever going through "receivership" means), but I could be wrong.

#168859 - 03/07/09 12:32 AM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: BigToe]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BigToe
I bought one of the original Blazer PB207 windproof lighters before they pulled them from the market, then susbequently reintroduced them with childproof features. The original is nice because it doesn't have any childproof feature preventing one hand operation and can be locked on. It also has a ring to allow it to stand up which in combination with the lock-on makes it valuable in an emergency firestarting situation. The flame is hot enough and controllable so it can be used for light soldering. The original is almost impossible to find now so I consider myself lucky. Also has a nice "cool" factor.

There's a good history at:
http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar...BCAB9026A6.html

I too have the original Blazer, somewhere, but if I recall correctly, the original originals weren't wind-resistant. Is this correct?

There are two versions: the For Home Use version, and the Not For Home Use version of the PB207: HERE
I think they are identical except that the For Home Use version has a "childproof" lock. And at least these new ones are wind-resistant.

#168862 - 03/07/09 01:20 AM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: Tom_L]
Safari Offline
Stranger

Loc: Finland
Please complete the list.
(butane lighters for outdoor use: usable in windy weather, waterproof(/resistant),...)

Windmill Trekker, $40
Fuel capacity 4 g
http://www.bestglide.com/windmill_trekker.html

Azen Neo 900, $9
"Neo may work intermittingly at elevations above 5200 ft."
Fuel capacity?
http://www.sportgear.ca/lighters.html

Blazer PB-207 Pocket Micro Torch, $44
"When the torch is warm the heat from the flame will light a cigar five inches (12 cm.) away."
Fuel capacity 4 g
http://www.hill.u-net.com/blue-flame-products.html

Liberty Mountain Storm Lighter, $19
Fuel capacity?
http://www.libertymountain.com/shop/product.asp?p=48&pg=1&c=101&o=0&s=5

Colibri Xtreme2 Lighter, $52
"Functional at up to 13,000 feet and waterproof to 3 ATM, it features a compass, a steel belt clip, and a lanyard."
Fuel capacity?
http://www.colibrimall.com/Windproof-Lighters/prod/Colibri-Xtreme2-Lighter-Gunmetal-Red

Silva Helios Storm Lighter, $20
Fuel capacity?
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/bushcraft-accessories/helios-silva-storm-lighter.htm

$ = USD

#168866 - 03/07/09 03:00 AM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: ]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007

I too have the original Blazer, somewhere, but if I recall correctly, the original originals weren't wind-resistant. Is this correct?

Hmmmm. I'm not sure - I bought mine for backpacking and it was recommended as wind-resistant. I section hiked with it for a couple of years but now hike with cheapie Bics and match backups (for weight reasons - yes, every .1 oz counts for me). It sure performs well in wind and I never saw much deflection. I'll have to get my hands on a new one and compare.

Can you get the industrial ones in the US?

#168867 - 03/07/09 03:20 AM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: BigToe]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BigToe
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007

Hmmmm. I'm not sure - I bought mine for backpacking and it was recommended as wind-resistant. I section hiked with it for a couple of years but now hike with cheapie Bics and match backups (for weight reasons - yes, every .1 oz counts for me). It sure performs well in wind and I never saw much deflection. I'll have to get my hands on a new one and compare.

Can you get the industrial ones in the US?

I can't imagine why not.

#168875 - 03/07/09 06:58 AM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: ]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Question: how long does fuel last on the shelf?

www.kravmagafederation.com

#168880 - 03/07/09 12:16 PM Re: Turboflame lighters review [Re: Rodion]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have had a few versions of these small jet torches.
The ones that look like little fire extinguisher tanks I have had some problems with.
The attachment of the torch head to the tank depends on small screws and after being in a pocket or pack they are overstressed. They either stripped out or failed in other ways.
I also found problems with the small metal lever inside that operates the gas valve, they bent and wouldn't open the valve enough.
In very cold weather there were problems with pressure.
These jet torch type lighters are more sensitive to fuel pressure than the Bic type lighters are.
Carry them in an inside pocket if it is below freezing out.

Now what I like about them is they provide a hot flame that has a long reach and even works when you aim it down instead of up.
The ones with the small wire in the flame path are almost as windproof as you can get, and even though you should be sheltering your fire from the wind it might matter to some of us sometime.

Edits:

Rodion, if you are asking about how long butane stays good the answer is practically forever. So long as the refill can or the lighter are not leaking they can sit on the shelf for the rest of your life, and then be used to light the memorial candles on your grave.

PS.
Safari's list reminded me of one thing. I had a couple of the ones with hinged lids like the Neo and the Storm lighters. The hinges for the tops on them broke after a while.

Edited by scafool (03/07/09 12:27 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 61 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.