The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#168738 - 03/05/09 06:43 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Fox News is reporting that just days before the fishing trip a buddy of the boat owner told him to buy a EPIRB for the boat.

FOX LINK

One of the reasons I have delayed my PLB buy is that I have no back country trips planned till late in the year. But I guarantee as good as the Park Service is, if I do my rim to rim to rim of the Grand Canyon in the fall I will have one. Not to mention once I am able to just do basic trail runs again in the desert.

#168746 - 03/05/09 08:31 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: comms]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: comms
Fox News is reporting that just days before the fishing trip a buddy of the boat owner told him to buy a EPIRB for the boat.

Wow, just wow. A major confirmation of Doug's advice.

#168749 - 03/05/09 09:02 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Originally Posted By: Russ

IMO as soon as they realized the weather had turned they should have been up on the step heading back in. 20/20

I'm betting that just reading the weather forecast before leaving is an even better idea, and quite a bit cheaper than a PLB.

A little practice is useful since the forecast may off a little as to just how far a weather front will go in the next 24 hours. But it's rare for weather to appear out of nowhere so checking forecasts a couples hundred miles around their plan would likely have revealed a problem before ever getting on the boat.

I'm betting that is this case the most important part of Preparedness is Avoidance.

I'm all for having an EPIRB and/or PLB. In this case, it might have been a good idea. I've been sailing on smaller calmer bodies of water and made sure the EPIRB was working before we left.

But checking the weather before you leave and regularly while out, out at sea, out in the middle of the woods, out anywhere that weather can really change things for you, and even just making sure you check at home once in a while is a steller idea. If you are not listening for weather reports, how do you know if the weather in the near future is something that might be threatening, you or anything about which you care.

But I'd also recommend learning about and paying attention to weather patterns. It can often be very helpful, sand sometimes it can save your bacon, if not your hide.

#168771 - 03/06/09 01:47 AM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: Jeff_M]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Altered mental status due to hypothermia is a distinct possibility, as opposed to any character weakness or lack of motivation to survive. It happens that way sometimes.

Jeff

when i read the reports this is what came immediately to mind. they were hypothermic when they abandoned the life jackets they had put on after the swamping.

not clear to me, but if they could hit bottom with an anchor, were they near an island?

#170253 - 03/28/09 04:23 AM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: Russ]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Formal Accident Report by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

In short the anchor had been tied to the front of the boat (right) but when the anchor got stuck to the seabed they tied it to the rear (wrong) and tried to use engine power to pull the anchor free. That flipped the boat immediately.

In large it appears they were wwwaaayyy over their skill level being out at sea over 50 miles from port in 5'+ seas in a 21' outboard boat.

A SAR beacon would have had them in bed on time. But simpler still, the accident was preventable by checking weather reports, or perhaps realizing that they simply didn't have the experience needed to be where they were.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 560 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.