Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#166997 - 02/12/09 07:38 PM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: benjammin]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
I think that you could find some space for such a fine weapon. You know you want to.

#166999 - 02/12/09 08:26 PM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: stevenpd]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, I told the wife last night I was gonna forego buying the darned rifle, but this morning I woke up and the Jones is back. I guess tomorrow I will have to call and see if they still have the gun, and if they do, then I will plan a trip down after work and go get it, and if they have sold it already (only one in stock), then I will write it off and put my wad back in the top shelf of the safe.

Danged jonesin' is just too much to resist sometimes. Let Karma (or God) decide if I need it or not by either keeping it available or removing it from my temptation. It is outta my hands now.

#167019 - 02/13/09 02:30 AM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: benjammin]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
You should have just gone and gotten it 5 minutes after you started this thread. I mean, you didn't actually expect to be talked out of it here, didya? grin

There was your answer...

#167027 - 02/13/09 03:53 AM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: airballrad]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I wouldn't be buying guns of ammunition just now as it is the top of the market. I would hold off unless I had some immediate pressing need or saw an incredibly sweet offer. Prices have been escalating over the last year and some driven largely by rumor and fear posts that are bouncing around the internet. There simply aren't any structural reasons to support the increased prices.

Which tells me that prices are due to come down as the markets saturate and the assumed worse case scenarios fail to materialize. Tight economics may lead people to sell off their stocks to cover their bills.

#167037 - 02/13/09 01:09 PM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Okay, I told the wife last night I was gonna forego buying the darned rifle, but this morning I woke up and the Jones is back. I guess tomorrow I will have to call and see if they still have the gun, and if they do, then I will plan a trip down after work and go get it, and if they have sold it already (only one in stock), then I will write it off and put my wad back in the top shelf of the safe.

Danged jonesin' is just too much to resist sometimes. Let Karma (or God) decide if I need it or not by either keeping it available or removing it from my temptation. It is outta my hands now.

He who snoozes often loses! smile

#167038 - 02/13/09 01:10 PM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: benjammin
. Danged jonesin' is just too much to resist sometimes.

Why bother trying

#167040 - 02/13/09 01:42 PM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: Stu]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I couldn't make the deal at the time, and couldn't get back there until tonight at the soonest. I have shopped the net for this model and the price I am looking at seems about what I would expect. It isn't necessarily about the money so much as I have been waiting for a firearm like this one to come for a long time.

However, taken into perspective, there's a lot of other things I could do with that $1,500 right now, including put it in the bank/safe. So if it is there, then good, if it is gone, not a problem either. I don't expect the price on any of these firearms to come down in the next few years, so it comes down to just a question of convenience or spending the money on something else I could use but probably don't need right away either.

Regardless of the outcome now, the pressure is off. Sure is nice to have these sort of choices still. A lot of folks out there I reckon are losing their choice.

#167044 - 02/13/09 03:30 PM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: benjammin]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
You bring up a good point. If you buy a gun at a decent price you're only going to loose so much money if you change you mind and want to sell it. I've always sold higher than I've bought at but I've never tried to turn one over quickly either.

My vote (seriously) is to buy it if it's a decent price. I always see more clearly the day after a big purchase and either regret it or am glad I did it. In this case the financial penalty for buying and then regretting it is probably very small. I would bet that you're glad you did it after the fact unless you really wanted something nicer and are settling. (I've done that a time or two.)

Good luck & happy hunting!

#167055 - 02/13/09 07:02 PM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: 7point82]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I just called the store and it is still there. Looks like I am going to be making a trip tonight or first thing in the am.

The price is right. I don't expect it will get any better any time soon. I am sure I could resell it quickly and for quite a bit more than I am going to be paying for it, so not too worried about that right now. I haven't seen prices for rifles like this one below the $1,000 mark for years, so no expectation that the market will fall, but more likely it will go up in time as the threat of more gun legislation ripens with the present administration. As this is not an impulse purchase, or a panic reaction to rumors, but something I've contemplated for a while, just never had the opportunity setup quite like it is now, I am reasonably sure there won't be any buyer's remorse. Had they told me it was gone, I would've shrugged and moved on. By making it a Karmic outcome, it really eliminates the stress of having to make a decision. I like being able to blame the universe for my folly sometimes.

#167058 - 02/13/09 08:06 PM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: benjammin]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I handled a recent purchase in a similar way.

I had shopped around for new safes on the internet and figured out exactly what I wanted. I went to a local safe dealer and, what do you know, the exact model/color/option package I wanted was sitting there in the warehouse. (I wasn't buying the garden variety/normal color so this was very unusual.) Therefor I HAD to buy it. Right? I hope so 'cause that's what I told the DW. wink

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 629 Guests and 159 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.