The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#168455 - 03/02/09 09:08 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: Stu]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I don't own a neck knife or any other model from S&W, but the Homeland Security folder I got for Christmas has been tough as nails so far. I put it through heck every day at work, with zero problems thus far.

For some reason, I'm not a big fan of neck knives.

#168469 - 03/02/09 11:38 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Take a classic KABAR, hang it on paracord and you have a neck knife. This is a ancient CARRY MODE, not some genius idea by contemporary knifemakers. They have set parameters of very small or skeletonised knives as this new idea to complement those $300 swords.
I've neck carried Moras and Puukkos for years . This is a 4" blade that I once forgot was on me, walked through a major shopping mall without confrontation or conflict until some girl from Helsinki got excited seeing it in California.
ANYTHING can break. Peter at Fallkniven has deliberately broken his fine blades in laboratory conditions.I have to work at getting mine dull, and he breaks them.
Vines are nasty work, one reason people use machetes and not neck knives.
"Respect the compromise"

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (03/02/09 11:43 PM)

#168477 - 03/03/09 12:19 AM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: billym]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: billym
Smith & Wesson makes great firearms not knives.

Point of clarification- S&W does NOT make knives, any more than Browning, Colt, Remington or Winchester does. They get a royalty from each one marked with their name, but they don't make them. And you usually find it slapped on United Cutlery or lower end from there. I had a folding kerambit-type knife that was $7 at a flea market, but with the S&W markings $20 plus shipping from Smokey Mountain. It was a good knife for what I needed it for, but when it eventually got too loose and had too much play, I retired it. But I don't think I'd ever willingly trust it with my life, that is why I carried a Vic in my pocket and my LM in my bag of tricks.

Harley Davidson doesn't make lighters, either, but Zippo sure does. Same thing, just better quality.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#168489 - 03/03/09 01:51 AM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: ironraven]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Originally Posted By: billym
Smith & Wesson makes great firearms not knives.

Point of clarification- S&W does NOT make knives, any more than Browning, Colt, Remington or Winchester does. They get a royalty from each one marked with their name, but they don't make them. And you usually find it slapped on United Cutlery or lower end from there. I had a folding kerambit-type knife that was $7 at a flea market, but with the S&W markings $20 plus shipping from Smokey Mountain. It was a good knife for what I needed it for, but when it eventually got too loose and had too much play, I retired it. But I don't think I'd ever willingly trust it with my life, that is why I carried a Vic in my pocket and my LM in my bag of tricks.

Harley Davidson doesn't make lighters, either, but Zippo sure does. Same thing, just better quality.

Yes you are right they don't actually make them. More reason not to buy one.

#168539 - 03/03/09 06:19 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: billym]
sodak Offline
Addict

I really like the Becker Necker, but keep it in my pocket, either back pocket for jeans, or side pocket for Carharrts. I hate having anything around my neck, I tried a Mora once, and it lasted about 2 minutes. YMMV.

#168548 - 03/03/09 06:55 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Take a classic KABAR, hang it on paracord and you have a neck knife. This is a ancient CARRY MODE, not some genius idea by contemporary knifemakers. They have set parameters of very small or skeletonised knives as this new idea to complement those $300 swords.
I've neck carried Moras and Puukkos for years . This is a 4" blade that I once forgot was on me, walked through a major shopping mall without confrontation or conflict until some girl from Helsinki got excited seeing it in California.
ANYTHING can break. Peter at Fallkniven has deliberately broken his fine blades in laboratory conditions.I have to work at getting mine dull, and he breaks them.
Vines are nasty work, one reason people use machetes and not neck knives.
"Respect the compromise"

And if you absolutely must have a neck knife, buy a Fallkniven WM1. In the Kyndex sheath. Other than in a survival kit/tin where you need the cubage, this ultralight skeletonised handle fad is for wannabe's.

Oh, and +1 on the Puukk :)o.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (03/03/09 06:58 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling etc.

#168685 - 03/04/09 10:33 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: sodak]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: sodak
I hate having anything around my neck

I wanted to say exactly the same. I find the whole idea of carrying any gear around a neck very odd. Especially relatively heavy knife.

#169190 - 03/12/09 07:13 AM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: Tom_L]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
<snip>

I could never understand why people like skeletonized neck knives aside from the "cool & tactical" factor. They're a pain to use because even with a paracord wrap the grip is basically too narrow and digs into the palm too much. I certainly wouldn't carry one as a serious backup blade. If that's all you end up with in an emergency you'll be in trouble - I think you'd be better off with a SAK.

In any case, a small Mora makes an infinitely better neck knife. The size/bulk difference is negligible considering you get a much stronger knife with an excellent blade that can actually stand up to heavy duty work. But again, YMMV! shocked

I think my Becker Necker is probably stronger than most of my Mora knives, and I KNOW it is stronger than anything I would ever want to use a knife that size for...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 304 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.