Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1678 - 09/15/01 06:52 AM "Natural" Cooking container
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello!<br><br>I am curious to see what kinds of containers can be found in nature that would be able to boil water. I am primarily interested in the things that could either be found or made in the United States region.<br><br>The most common things I know of are not very useful in a temperate North American climate, ie: bamboo, coconut shells, etc.<br><br>In the past, I have heard that certain kinds of bark would be useful. The problem is that it either burns or leaks.<br><br>If anyone has success stories in this regard, I would love to know!<br><br>Peace and God bless America<br><br>Chris<br><br>

#1679 - 09/15/01 07:03 AM Re: "Natural" Cooking container
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Indians boiled water in woven baskets. This was done by heating rocks and then dropping them into the basket. Be sure to observe the old warning against rocks from streams or wet locations. They can explode when heated. If you have the time, you could locate a clay source and make pottery. Steatite was used as an early non stick frying pan. The stone expands and conducts heat quite nicely. A hole may be excavated ( dug?) and lined with large leafs or plastic sheeting to make it watertight. Just know your plants and don't use any toxic materials.<br><br>

#1680 - 09/15/01 07:15 AM Re: "Natural" Cooking container
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah! Dropping hot rocks in water is something I remember coming across. I would think a possible problem with that is keeping the water at a roaring boil for the 15 minutes that is recommended to kill all the nasties. I suppose if worst came to worst, you could have a pile of rocks in your fire, and just set up a little assembly line of rock dipping. Just remember the improvised tongs!<br><br>Peace and God bless America<br><br>Chris<br><br>

#1681 - 09/15/01 06:23 PM Re: "Natural" Cooking container
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It takes 2-3 baseball sized rocks to initially boil 1 gallon of water. After that a single rock will maintain the boil for a good 15 minutes.<br><br>

#1682 - 09/17/01 01:45 PM Re: "Natural" Cooking container
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Though not quite a direct answer to your question, paper cups will work too. Place them directly on hot coals. The paper will not ignite because of the water in the cup. Boiling water will keep the paper cup at 212 degreed F., well blow the temperature needed for combustion.<br><br>Also, you can make good of other "containers" you may have around, orange rinds or onion shells. Be creative. You may be lucky enough to find a rock with a small hollow in it, but you might end up burning your lips when you try to sip from the hot rock!<br><br><br>BTW, cooking on rocks is fun to do. I've done small cubes of meat and even Bisquick biscuits on rocks. I haven't tried fish, but I'm sure it can be done. I'll have to try that some time. As Chris warned, don't chose river rocks or rocks at water's edge. The heat will turn the moisture trapped in tiny pores into steam and explode like popcorn, spreading rock shrapnel.<br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 521 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.