Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#167698 - 02/24/09 12:28 AM Re: My kids started a small fire today, without me [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Sue, that is like letting an addict loose in a poppy field. I'm sure Blast will attest to that. *laughs*

Absolutely they should be supervised. But they got it right, so I wouldn't be too hard on them. Something like a soft lecture and no dessert tonight. But I think that you can also use fire starting as a reward for other lessons, like navigation and rope craft.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#167707 - 02/24/09 01:00 AM Re: My kids started a small fire today, without me [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
But I think that you can also use fire starting as a reward for other lessons, like navigation and rope craft.

Both our girls were potty trained by lettng them light and then blow out a candle whenever they successfully used the toilet. grin We'd light the match and direct there hand to the candle.

-Blast, starting them young
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#167753 - 02/24/09 01:57 PM Re: My kids started a small fire today, without me [Re: Blast]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Both our girls were potty trained by lettng them light and then blow out a candle whenever they successfully used the toilet. grin We'd light the match and direct there hand to the candle.

-Blast, starting them young

Whew!!! Someone light a match! LOL... wink

That is great tho. Whatever it takes.

#167758 - 02/24/09 02:39 PM Re: My kids started a small fire today, without me [Re: Mike_H]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It may very well be that you've missed the opportunity to get them started with the proper respect. My brother and I were pyros, and we lit all kinds of fires growing up, some got out of control, some we were darned lucky we survived. Had I known then what I know now about some of the things I was doing, I would never have taken such risks. My parents had the attitude that out of sight was out of mind, and so long as we didn't cause trouble, they never really cared what we did. On the occasions where we did cause trouble, we went to the woodshed, but that was never an effective deterrent. All it did was teach us not to get caught doing bad things.

What helped me keep my kids from following the same path was to engage them, to take them out shooting, and have them clean the firearms for an hour or so afterwards, and show them what a bullet can do to a watermelon, or a jug of water, or a 2 x 4 so they get some perspective. More importantly, we have a good long talk about the rules and expectations, so they have no question in their mind about what is and isn't acceptable. I also kept an eye on them when I could. Same with making fire. Show them what a cup of gas does when thrown on the fire, take away some of the fascination and turn it into more of a chore. They become proficient and respectful.

#167827 - 02/24/09 10:31 PM Re: My kids started a small fire today, without me [Re: Blast]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Blast

Both our girls were potty trained by lettng them light and then blow out a candle whenever they successfully used the toilet.

That could be hazardous as they get older... smile

#167914 - 02/25/09 11:52 PM Re: My kids started a small fire today, without me [Re: ki4buc]
jimtanker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Bragg, NC
Everytime I go out into the woods with my 8 year old son we talk about something survival. Quite often we will start a fire with one method or another. We always talk about the rules and when it is ok and not ok to make one.

#167915 - 02/25/09 11:56 PM Re: My kids started a small fire today, without me [Re: benjammin]
jimtanker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Bragg, NC
Originally Posted By: benjammin
It may very well be that you've missed the opportunity to get them started with the proper respect. My brother and I were pyros, and we lit all kinds of fires growing up, some got out of control, some we were darned lucky we survived. Had I known then what I know now about some of the things I was doing, I would never have taken such risks.

My tool of choice for being stupid when I was a kid was my dad's black powder. Always a fun time with that stuff. I should have been dead a few times.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
Yesterday at 02:57 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:29 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/13/24 04:31 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.