The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#167605 - 02/23/09 12:42 AM Re: Watches? [Re: oldsoldier]
mike_m Offline
Stranger

Loc: MA
I wear a Polar watch every day, but I chose this watch mainly for tracking my heart rate and distance when I am running. I don't have the desire to own more than one watch so this one is it.

What may be of interest to some here is a watch that I recently saw. It is a Tissot T-touch, the dial is actually touch screen. It seems pretty cool,but I really don't know too much about these watches. It is a multi-function watch, with altimeter, barometer, compass (the watch hands transorm to the compass needle when in compass mode), etc.

#167606 - 02/23/09 12:52 AM Re: Watches? [Re: mike_m]
Hookpunch Offline

I prefer automatic watches, that being said, I don't think I would go for a Rolex, my frugal ways won't allow me, instead I wear a Seiko 5 Sports.

I might splurge on a Tissot PRS for my birthday....well I will strongly hint to the wife as my birthday comes around the same time I should be getting a tax refund.

#167609 - 02/23/09 01:14 AM Re: Watches? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: DrmstrSpoodle
I'm not really a watch expert, but the kind I've been wearing for over a year, and what I've been happy with, is a cheap Coleman NightSight model.

I've got one of these too and I really like it. It's simple, easy to use and dependable.

My recent favorite is my Timex Expedition Adventure Tech. It's light, comfortable to wear and easy to use. (I have one of the older analog, electronic compass expeditions and it's big and heavy.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#167613 - 02/23/09 01:47 AM Re: Watches? [Re: Desperado]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Well, my first platoon sergeant set my preference on watches for life. He refused to allow digital watches due to the "BEEP Factor". He didn't want anyone with a watch that could "beep" giving up a position in the field.

A possible liability a 'beeping' watch can be turned to your advantage.

Hidden and set to ring every fifteen minutes it can be both hard to find and quite distracting for anyone following you. The sound of the beep can be heard a long way away in the woods but the sound, one or two short chirps, can be very hard to localize. While the searchers spend time trying to track the sound down your over the hill and making tracks away from the area.

A similar strategy can be used to get people to look in the wrong direction at an ambush point. People are wired up and at the critical moment there is a beeping noise behind or among them. Everyone reflexively turns toward the noise trying to locate it. Turned the wrong way and looking at the dirt is not a good way to start an ambush if your intention is survival.

In some areas digital watches are used to set off explosives so in these areas the sound of a watch going off can cause people to reflexively assume a prone position. Which can be good in some cases. Like when a group of rough guys is crossing a road awash with sewage. If you can't have a good laugh while your out there what is the point?

A 7$ or 10$ watch can more than pay for itself if properly used for advantage.

#167617 - 02/23/09 02:42 AM Re: Watches? [Re: Art_in_FL]
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
My EDC watch is DOXA SUB600T Professional. It's an automatic, I set the time twice a year. Spring fwd, Fall back. And ya, Dirk Pitt wears one also.

#167628 - 02/23/09 04:34 AM Re: Watches? [Re: marduk]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I love my Breitling.

To me, it is super rugged and reliable. I also have a Rolex and a Tag Heuer, but the Breitling is worn every day and every where.

My client has an titanium Omega Sea Master and that is very nice also.

#167630 - 02/23/09 05:31 AM Re: Watches? [Re: aloha]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
2 cheap Timex digitals with no bands and a Titanium cased analogue by Momentum.

I keep the Timex watches set to both Universal Coordinated Time and local standard time because they have the dual time feature.
This is helpful when dealing with radio communications and can be used in navigation if I had to.

The dial watch is set to local time.

Edited by scafool (02/23/09 05:35 AM)

#167638 - 02/23/09 11:28 AM Re: Watches? [Re: scafool]
LoneWolf Offline

Basic $20 Timex Indiglo from Target. I'm a nursing student and I need big numbers and a sweep second hand. Pulses, resp., etc.

My "Sunday go to meeting" watch is a really nice Swiss Army watch. At this point, I couldn't tell you what the model is if my life depended on it. The watch and I are currently in two different locations. smile

#167645 - 02/23/09 12:41 PM Re: Watches? [Re: LoneWolf]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I like gadgets and I'm not very style-conscious. My watch is a Casio Sea Pathfinder 701. It is solar-powered, has compass, thermometer, barometer and depth gauge, several alarms, down-counter and stop-watch.

I'm not very happy with it, to be honest, but I'm not unhappy enough to justify spending money on something better. I think thermometers in watches are pointless because the reading is offset by body heat. The depth gauge is useless because I don't swim much and don't need to know how deep I am when I do, and it's not a replacement for a proper diver's gauge. You have to push a button to see the barometer, which in practice I don't do (my previous watch had a pressure graph permanently on display, which was more useful).

The compass is OK. I no longer feel the need to carry a button compass every day now.

I'm undecided about solar power. Obviously it still has a battery inside it, and that will have a finite lifetime, so it might be better in the long run to have a watch with batteries that are designed to be replaced.

#167649 - 02/23/09 01:22 PM Re: Watches? [Re: Brangdon]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I wear a Bulova that my wife gave me for a wedding gift. Haven't really worn any watch other than that for the last 3 years.

I am looking to find a nice watch to wear in the "wilds" tho.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 632 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.