Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#167281 - 02/18/09 04:21 AM Re: In the market for a knife! [Re: MDinana]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Just to ask...
Why do you think that those knives are better than what you already have? I will admit that the Rat-5 probably IS better, but still... I would try to get a real Rat though...

Where are you going to use these knife at, and for what?

I know you wanted us to keep the discussion on those knives, but I have already stated my preferences there(The Rat-5), so I would like to mention a few other choices.

The Mora2000 is very nice and does not cost much.

Also, if you could spend a LITTLE more(about $120.00 total) have you considered something like this?

This would give you the best of both worlds, a Puukko for all around use, and a Leuku for chopping, batoning, etc. All in one sheath designed to keep the knives from slipping out.

This is comming from someone that has a LOT of knives, and could carry almost anthing I wanted. But with price a consideration, these would be HIGH on my list.
Something from Bark River or Ranger knives would also be good, but about one step higher in price. It is too bad that Becker knives are temporarily not available, as they are(were?) VERY good for the price.
Here is my Becker BK7, a Puukko, a Bark River Northstar, and a SAK.

A Nessmuk style would be good, but I doubt you would find one in your price range. Upper left in this picture.

BTW, I really like my Mk-3 and find the grip quite nice, but it is quite optimized for a normal grip. That is NOT the case for the two I suggested.
The blade on the Mk-3 is VERY nice. Wider blades make batoning much easier, which may help explain the shape of Nessmuk knives.

Edited by jamesraykenney (02/18/09 04:59 AM)

#167284 - 02/18/09 06:19 AM Re: In the market for a knife! [Re: jamesraykenney]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: jamesraykenney

A Nessmuk style would be good, but I doubt you would find one in your price range. Upper left in this picture.

I see several of my favorite tools in your photo, the Bark River Northstar, the Bark River Mini-Axe, and the fallkniven U2 folder. All Three of those are in my personal kit!

#167302 - 02/18/09 05:06 PM Re: In the market for a knife! [Re: Stu]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Wow, those are some NICE pics!

Not sure that any of these knives are necessarily "better" at any one thing. Lots of the reason I'm ready to change though is how I fit the knife. The Kabar Mini handle is too narrow for me (though I think the blade is decent), whereas the Seal Pup blisters my hand. Plus it just feels too thick for some finer work, but that could be the grind of the blade. The USN pilot knife gets dull way to quick and the saw is near useless (IMO).

I really like that Pukko combo up there. You have a link or something where I can read more? Are those handles more comfortable than they look?

Normally I carry a BM Mini Grip camping, or more often a SAK Hiker. The SAK has done great over the years, but I always just felt a fixed blade should be carried more. As such, it's ideally going to be used to be better around the campsite: splitting wood, pounding in ground stakes, cutting rope, maybe whittling if I get bored, etc. Probably won't be used for food prep. I move a lot, but it'll probably be used in Michigan, and later, Virginia (so, what, deciduous forests?).

Thanks for the thoughts so far. If I can sell off my current knives, I think you're swaying me towards the F1 (with the S1 and now the Pukko in the running).

#167328 - 02/18/09 11:02 PM Re: In the market for a knife! [Re: jamesraykenney]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: jamesraykenney
It is too bad that Becker knives are temporarily not available, as they are(were?) VERY good for the price.

As far as I know Becker Knife and Tool has joined Ka-Bar not long time ago. Ka-Bar now sells Becker knives. For example here is Becker BK7 in stock.

#167329 - 02/18/09 11:11 PM Re: In the market for a knife! [Re: raptor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, very recently picked up the new BK-9.

#167331 - 02/18/09 11:51 PM Re: In the market for a knife! [Re: Russ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Financially, these "Mora" knives I keep hearing of seem to make the most sense.

Here is what Sportsman's Guide has to offer.

Chris has recently shown mr the gospel of The Ragweed Forge and I may yet decide to send Ragnar some of my money (as soon as I have come extra again).

C173 and C223 seem to fit the blade profiles (if not dimensions) you have mentioned.

Chris, enlighten this young swabbie doctor before he should miss the opportunity.

Edited by Desperado (02/19/09 12:04 AM)

RIP OBG

#167332 - 02/19/09 12:05 AM Re: In the market for a knife! [Re: Desperado]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
After Desperado's earlier query about Moras, I finally ordered a couple from Ragnar (I believe #911 and #740) and I've been very impressed by what showed up. His personal service is nice also. (standard disclaimer.)

In spite of what others have said about Mora sheaths, I actually like the swiveling version that came with the #911. It's nice for carrying a fixed blade while getting in and out of vehicles. Now I want one of his larger knives like C-173 so that I can have something for the kitchen that I don't have to worry about messing up.

#167333 - 02/19/09 12:36 AM Re: In the market for a knife! [Re: Desperado]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Financially, these "Mora" knives I keep hearing of seem to make the most sense.

Here is what Sportsman's Guide has to offer.

Wow! I had seen the Mora for $11 in the catalog, but hadn't seen the 2-fer. It looks like the "discount" version of the Puuko set of knives a few posts up. And for $20, it's hard to resist.

So, I'm ordering a set. I'll have some fun in the upcoming weeks and see how the set stacks up. Hopefully I can sell off at least 1 of the items I'm selling to recoup the cost.

Thanks for the link!

If they don't work, well, there's lots of suggestions. And if they do work, well, I finally get on active duty in a few months, and the financial crunch will ease considerably shortly thereafter (time for more toys!)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and insights!

#167336 - 02/19/09 01:45 AM Re: In the market for a knife! [Re: MDinana]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've owned both the Mora 2000 'survival knife' and the lueko-puukko combination.
The combo set is suprisingly heavy if you're used to packing a light mora. The small puukko is a suberb little blade, and the buttcap is especiallly nice for a controlled reverse grip with your thumb resting on it if making groove cuts etc.
The lueko is promblematical. It is a camp knife developed by the Saami ( Lpalanders ) for chopping the relatively small diameter birch trees and butchering reindeer.It is a very thin knife, with readilly visible cold rolling marks in the steel. It's physical size may give people confidence to baton wood beyond it's real capabilities with a resultant broken blade.
The handles are superbly comfortable. just remember these are for cold climbs, with push cuts ( again, the flat buttcap assisting in control) and not draw cuts with heavilly mittened hands. It is also just short of being usefull as a snow knife or as a machette.
The 2000 has been subject to a few online reviews. I will simply add it does need some sharpening to reach full potential and is a nice carry knife that pushes the Mora qualities up a notch for serious survival work.

#167339 - 02/19/09 02:00 AM Re: In the market for a knife! [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Now for active duty in a field environment, I suggest something closer to a sharpened pry-bar. Reason being, you will eventually use it as a pry-bar. Doc or not, you will still wind up wanting a nice big blade. Then drop your cash on something from RC, Ranger Knives, or even Gerber (LMF II ASEK). One could also talk a supply NCO out of an Issue Ontario OKC3S .

Edit: The Gerber is an absolute pain to sharpen the first time, but seems to hold its edge.

Good Luck

Edited by Desperado (02/19/09 02:03 AM)

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 630 Guests and 140 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.