Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#166918 - 02/11/09 08:26 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: Tom_L]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
A bit off topic but I just browsed that website and found this little "gem" on the Useless Weapons page:
http://www.paxtonquigley.com/useless_weapons.html

Quote:
Knife from $9 to $299

The knife is not useful for self-defense because it has no stopping power - in many fights 20 to 30 knife wounds have to be inflicted before the opponent will stop coming at you.

PROS - Deadly in the hands of professionals (on both sides of the law).

CONS - If you're thinking about defending yourself with a knife, you better have won some knife fights or it'll be taken from you in a heartbeat.

For the record, I have absolutely no idea who Paxton Quigley is but the above is, well, ridiculous. Sure, a knife may not be a good self-defense weapon for a lot of people. But that thing about a sharp blade having "no stopping power" really says it all.

If I were you, I'd just take everything Mrs. Quigley says with a big grain of salt.

And yes, a door wedge of any kind is at best only as good as the door itself. Which in practice means you'd be better off looking for some more effective solution.

Yikes. I have no idea who he is either but he sounds like he received his weapons training/education on MSNBC. eek

#166919 - 02/11/09 08:31 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Some ideas, just remember when traveling overseas for women, your best defense is proximity alarms, lots of loud noise and some type of wedge since firearms and knives aren't options overseas, but big kitchen knives and things you can use as a club while loud noise is being blasted helps. Bottom line is never ever be taking alive. In the states firearms are recommended with prox alarms.

Wedge with alarm

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/swege.html

Proximity alarm so you know who's getting ready to try to get in

http://www.uberreview.com/2007/07/hotel-door-security-alarm.htm

The Club

http://journal.drfaulken.com/master-lock-265d-door-security-bar-review/

Door anchor

http://www.christinecolumbus.com/products.asp?pID=715

And my personal favorite that I highly recommend is a Model 500ES snub nose .50 bear pistol,you can use it to kill bears and shoot through walls and doors that try to come in. I guarantee one shot from this thing and they will think twice about coming in. wink

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegory_rn=15707

#166920 - 02/11/09 08:35 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: 7point82]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Paxton Quigley is a her, not a him. Her thing is women's self-defense and she is a proponent of handgun carry. GF has one of her books around here, there it is -- Armed and Female: . . ..

#166923 - 02/11/09 08:52 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: Russ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Firearms and bear mace are the best options in the states for women IMHO. If they are going to break in then someone will pay.

#166925 - 02/11/09 09:03 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: falcon5000]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I remember reading about a guy selling a strap that wraps around the door return rendering the hotel door practically unopenable. You probably do the same with a Walmart or home store type nylon webbing, especially if it has a ratchet type tightener.

#166934 - 02/11/09 10:38 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
it's not clear to me what application you are thinking about.

if you are looking at strengthening your home entry door against intrusion - these heavy duty box strikes can be installed without needing a lot of skill.

they also have other door security hardware. i've seen their products at do it best and other home improvement stores.

a longer throw deadbolt, when coupled with one of these, looks like 'regular' door hardware. but you'd probably put a hole in the door - or tear the door off the hinges - before attaining entry.

it buys you time to 911 and / or unlock the weapons.

#166940 - 02/12/09 12:16 AM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: bsmith]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Basically, I'd like something for the bedroom door that will buy me some additional time to arm myself in the event of a home invasion. I wanted something better than the lock we already have the door. But since the door isn't a solid-core one, I suppose the DoorJammer wouldn't work as well as I'd hoped. Thanks for the heads-up.

The rubber door stop would at least get use while travelling and at home. I guess we'll have to experiment with a few things.

#166944 - 02/12/09 01:15 AM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I bought one at Big Lots for eight bucks.

#166947 - 02/12/09 02:32 AM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: jshannon]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
One thing to remember is that there really is nothing that is practical to travel with that will completely stop someone from getting through your door. Hotel door rooms are relatively simple to force, so anything you use is simply a deterrent or obstacle
to buy you time.

I travel with a Wedge-It. The not only can be used to wegde the base of the door, the also can be used to keep the door open if needed.

Edited by Alan_Romania (02/12/09 02:33 AM)

#166953 - 02/12/09 06:00 AM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
Basically, I'd like something for the bedroom door that will buy me some additional time to arm myself in the event of a home invasion. I wanted something better than the lock we already have the door.

Then the best thing might be to install a new, solid core door with a sturdy lock. Of course, this only applies to your home - safety in hotel rooms is a different matter.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.