Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#166725 - 02/09/09 12:26 AM Re: slingshot talk [Re: Chisel]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Hi

break windows but noisy enough to disturb the neighbors.

So, here is the question: Is there a home-made "gun" that I can make and shoot the pigeons with that will be a bit more accurate than a slingshot?

Kind of off topic still, but the Grand Hotel in Mackinac Island, MI, paints the eaves a robin-egg blue color. Does a great job keeping insects and birds from nesting. Apparently they see the blue and think "sky" and so don't roost there... kind of like they can't make out that it is still a solid surface.

Might be worth a shot.

#166760 - 02/09/09 02:40 PM Re: slingshot talk [Re: Chisel]
LoneWolf Offline

I don't know how well rubber snakes will work. At an old "fixer upper" that I used to have, I had a pigeon problem as well. I hung a couple of inflatable owls (I got at Lowes or someplace like that) under the eaves and it worked very well scaring them away. I don't think it was as much that they were owls, but rather something swinging around in the area that they wanted to roost.

LW

#166765 - 02/09/09 04:52 PM Re: slingshot talk [Re: Chisel]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
A sling shot should be used the same way as a Bow. use the brace and do not grip the handle*. Just let it press against the palm of your hand. Grip the sling between thumb and the knuckle of your index finger. Like you are drawing an arrow. Look at the target. Draw in a smooth motion and loose.

* Gripping the handle imparts torque. Which causes the projectile to curve off to the left or right.

#166766 - 02/09/09 05:16 PM Re: slingshot talk [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have heard that using a pellet rifle will work well, though as has been said before, a shot to the body will not kill them immediately, so I have heard.

I have a cactus in my backyard that has some bird holes in them. I have stuffed a oily rag in them so it funks the enclosed area up without damaging the cactus.

#166798 - 02/10/09 12:43 AM Re: slingshot talk [Re: comms]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I had a most bothersome Woodpecker that decided to poke a hole in the siding of my house and start building a nest in the insulation. I grabbed my $25 Red Ryder BB gun and from the corner of the house put a copper ball on his butt. I know what it feels like to get shot with that gun, and while it won't penetrate the skin, it will definitely sting and raise a welt. I doubt it has enough power even at close range to kill a bird the size of a pigeon except for an ideal head shot. Certainly anything within 30 yards is well within the accuracy capabilities of the little carbine. As a pest deterrant, it is one of the best I can think of. If you are worried about what an inadvertent BB might do, then they also have those wonderful soft pellet guns that don't have nearly the range but will do a good job, or even a paint gun.

In fact, shoot paint balls from your slingshot and your errant shots should also diminish.

#166800 - 02/10/09 01:32 AM Re: slingshot talk [Re: benjammin]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Careful with that paint ball gun inside city limits. Due to the number of paintball drive-by shootings of recent years, you can pick up almost as much time as a real firearms charge.

Just ask my sons. The local group didn't have the cash for the paint ball park, so they went to a large abandoned area. One single paint ball made it to the road and hit a car window.

I really thought the older of the two was going to go to the slam. Both got 180 days probation and no conviction (deferred).

RIP OBG

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.