Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#165993 - 02/02/09 12:18 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: kd7fqd]
xoshooter Offline
Stranger

Took the ARC course about a year or two ago. Bought an MDI cpr microshield and glove kit immediately and it is always with me. Takes up next to no room. Buy extras to keep in the car and BOB kit, kayak, etc and to practice with so your familiar with it when the need arises. Nothing worse than not being able to open it under stress.

The catalog number or part number for the one I have is 70-160.

I think next I am going to take an EMT course. I was raised a surgeons son with many family member in the business. I'm the black sheep looking in from the outside.

#166001 - 02/02/09 01:49 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I not sure I could stand there and sit on my hands..."

I know what you mean. Maybe I should go back to stuffing a CPR shield into a cargo pocket, just in case...

#166003 - 02/02/09 02:34 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...I'm not sure if it would stop me..."

Be very careful doing that. Victims, 'specially if the rescuer is getting too much air into their stomach, have a tendency to upchuck, right into your mouth if you don't have a mask. That is why they invented the one way valve. Rough it would be, but in todays world, there are kids being born with AIDS and other nasty things every day. I will not go bareback on anyone I don't know, period...

I am with you OBG. When I was a firefighter/1st responder we never, never would go bareback....and this holds true for today. I carry a mask with a one way valve at all times in the 1st aid kit.

#166006 - 02/02/09 02:48 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: acropolis5]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
I've done CPR dozens, yes dozens of times, both with and without equipment. In all that experience, I only had three sucessful rescitations. But heh, three is better than none.

I also have done CPR more times then I wish to think about sometimes. In total, I have only been involved with 2 successful resuscitations and you are correct, they are better then none....

#166022 - 02/02/09 08:52 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: ironraven]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: ironraven
I not sure I could stand there and sit on my hands.

It might be very entertaining to watch you try. crazy

#166024 - 02/02/09 09:04 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: inkslngr]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: inkslngr
If you are TRAINED in pre-hospital care, do you have a legal obligation to lend assistance?

NO

Do you have a moral obligation?

I believe so.

Slight clarification here: I was always taught that once you've been identified as being some sort of trained individual, then you do have the legal responsibility to act.

So, if you have a big Star Of Life on your window, or wear your "Mayville EMS" hat or something, then you actually do need to stop and render aid. A big reason I don't do that much anymore.

#166179 - 02/03/09 02:52 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: MDinana]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I don't think that is true everywhere when not on the clock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue

Originally Posted By: MDinana

Slight clarification here: I was always taught that once you've been identified as being some sort of trained individual, then you do have the legal responsibility to act.

So, if you have a big Star Of Life on your window, or wear your "Mayville EMS" hat or something, then you actually do need to stop and render aid. A big reason I don't do that much anymore.

Edited by jshannon (02/03/09 03:01 AM)

#166392 - 02/04/09 02:06 PM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: xoshooter]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
I think next I am going to take an EMT course.

Welcome to the group and congratulations on completing an ARC course. If you are considering taking an EMT course, first join a local Fire and/or EMS Department. To the best of my knowledge in all 50 states, an EMT is sanctioned under a government entity (through certification or license) such as, Department of Health, Department of Transportation or Emergency Medical Agency/Institute (there may be others). Most, if not all require you to be a member of a local Fire and/or EMS and operate under a Local Medical Director Department (one exception is for commercial ambulances services, which have their own Medical Director), who determines what local optional protocols to implement for that locality.

Wilderness EMT may be an alternative to consider, in that the training may be obtained though one of the commercial companies. However, WEMT may not be recognized or may still be sanctioned by your state with the same requirements as a standard EMT program.

Pete

#167146 - 02/15/09 09:08 PM Don't even bother with a mask. You need an AED. [Re: Frankie]
jmbrowning Offline
model citizen
Stranger

Most of the time, if you see somebody ambulating go down and don't get up after you open her airway and give her a few compressions, you will be needing an automatic external defibrillator.

All the ventilating and cardiac massaging in the world won't help a bit, if the conduction system isn't working. You might get a little oxygen to the brainstem, but that only means you're looking at twenty years in a persistent vegetative state instead of dead. Odds of leaving the hospital in a position other than supine zipped up in plastic are less than 5%.

Yeah, OK, it's a little over a thousand dollars, but that's just a couple of PLB's right? Besides, you're EDCing because you want to help, so get the right equipment. If not, just resign yourself to the fact that for every minute that goes by without defibrillation, survival goes down by 10% or more.

Improving Survival From Sudden Cardiac Arrest (external link to JAMA)

PS. I have done mouth-to-mouth resuscitation just once when I was a student and came across a "Found Dead" on rounds with the Critical Care fellow. She smacked me good on the back of the head and started Ambu-bagging. It's a strange feeling to actually see that chest rise as you blow in and hear that rattly exhalation sound. Still remember it all these decades later.

PPS. If it sounds like I'm a firm believer in everyone having an AED, it's only as much as Doug is a firm believer in everyone having a PLB. The technology is here to save lives, so go get it!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.