Well, I have to answer to that before signing off.
I was thinking about the potatoes part of it more, and more about fall and winter.

If in the fall and farther south there are fruit and nut trees that might be worth looking at.
There are also some of the swamp or shore plants like Arrowhead (saggitaria) and other duck potatoes. Saggitaria latifolia is a lot like a potato but a bit more crisp, and can be got by raking or wading into the water and uprooting them. They are usually in slow water less than 3 feet deep, and though they are scarce here they were common in southern Ontario. The leaves and shallow water habitat are pretty distinctive.

We don't get a lot of roots here, but a lot of the Lily species are worth checking. They often grow in decent patches.
Dogtooth Violet is pretty good, even though it grows deeper than I thought it would.
Wild Garlic (ramps?) grow in maple woods, usually on the hummocks, and can be dug in the early spring easily. If you know what you are looking at the dead leaves and stems let you find them in the summer and fall too, but only if the deer and rabbits didn't eat all the leaves on you.

A lot of the northern tribes considered an antler or bone scraper essential gear for traveling in winter. They used it to remove the cambium (sap) layer from poplar trees. Black poplar and Balsam being the favorites.
It is sustaining food but when I tried it I found it boiled up like slimy noodles and was just a bit bitter.

Of course being around where these plants are will put you in prime trapping and hunting areas with animals that do not hibernate. The water plants and poplar also make good bait for a lot of these animals.

Now I will do as I said and shut up for a while so others can speak.