Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164543 - 01/22/09 11:51 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
I don't blame you Izzy, it's really not that big but it's prone to failures (unacceptable). I just like the UST rods they use over the Swedish rods, I have both but I don't know if it's a higher magnesium count in the steel or what, but I can really catch a lot of stuff on fire with a blast match than I could with my light my fire steel. I just gutted a blastmatch for the rod and use a hacksaw blade and it's rock solid and 2X the diameter of my light my fire steel. I'm definately a blast match steel rod believer.

The draw (According to what I asked the guys at CountyComm) to the FireSteel is the "tree ring" like design. Apparently it's steel, flint, steel, flint, steel, flint. I guess the aim is to be able to throw out scraps of steel that get ignited by the flint as you strike it. And as we all know most metals, alloys included, when in thin shavings or crushed up form, will burn. Hence why steel wool ignites.

I think all of the fire starting equipment out there that's ferro-rod/blast match and swedish firesteel all have an obvious added amount of magnesium to create more sparks. Anyone who has ever used pure flint knows it doesn't spark as much as the fire starting equipment on the market does.

I think even lighter flints are 20% magnesium or something along those lines.

I think I talked about on here too about that one rod that was supposed to have an abundance of magnesium mixed in... it worked REALLY REALLY well, and had an AL base, and it was an "AIO" kind of thing, and could fit on a keychain, by far the best 'fire steel' I had used. I forget who made it or where I got it.. man I need to get these upon my site so I can reference them hahaha.

-Todd

#164548 - 01/23/09 12:17 AM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: falcon5000]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
Dude, I don't know what you paid for these but i hope you get your money back!

and I was gonna jump on one these when they became available...

#164570 - 01/23/09 02:05 AM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: falcon5000]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Thanks for good and objective review falcon5000.

I like my UST Strike Force very much, one of my favourite piece of gear I own but unfortunately this looks too much like a toy. I donīt understand how company that have "Ultimate Survival" in their name can come up with almost a plastic toy. I like the concept a lot but like falcon5000 and others I wish they change it or do another version in the future (with important parts made from metal). When your hands are cold and you are tired you have no luxury to be carfeul not to break or jam the firestarting device.

Well I prefer Swedish firesteel on my keychain and Strike Force in my bag. Those solutions are not one-handed but are more powerful and straightforward for signaling. I would like to try out Blastmatch in the future too though. And maybe even the Sparky if they fix the issues.

Good idea and sign of an invention but I hope this is just a "beta version".

#164572 - 01/23/09 02:12 AM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: ToddW
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
I don't blame you Izzy, it's really not that big but it's prone to failures (unacceptable). I just like the UST rods they use over the Swedish rods, I have both but I don't know if it's a higher magnesium count in the steel or what, but I can really catch a lot of stuff on fire with a blast match than I could with my light my fire steel. I just gutted a blastmatch for the rod and use a hacksaw blade and it's rock solid and 2X the diameter of my light my fire steel. I'm definately a blast match steel rod believer.

The draw (According to what I asked the guys at CountyComm) to the FireSteel is the "tree ring" like design. Apparently it's steel, flint, steel, flint, steel, flint. I guess the aim is to be able to throw out scraps of steel that get ignited by the flint as you strike it. And as we all know most metals, alloys included, when in thin shavings or crushed up form, will burn. Hence why steel wool ignites.

I think all of the fire starting equipment out there that's ferro-rod/blast match and swedish firesteel all have an obvious added amount of magnesium to create more sparks. Anyone who has ever used pure flint knows it doesn't spark as much as the fire starting equipment on the market does.

I think I talked about on here too about that one rod that was supposed to have an abundance of magnesium mixed in... it worked REALLY REALLY well, and had an AL base, and it was an "AIO" kind of thing, and could fit on a keychain, by far the best 'fire steel' I had used. I forget who made it or where I got it.. man I need to get these upon my site so I can reference them hahaha.

-Todd

I suspect for safety purposes you can't put in too much magnesium. Cause that stuff burns at like 4,500 degrees even underwater, so if you had too much in the rod and scraped it...you'd ignite all the magnesium and end up killin' yourself.

When people burn magnesium they burn it in mini-pieces / powder... I don't think you can light a stick of it on fire (with a small cold flame like a spark or match).
If you try get a video... haha laugh laugh
-Todd

#164594 - 01/23/09 04:27 AM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Looking at the size of the thing, and it's "three strikes you're out" rule, I'd think that a simple Mini-Bic would be more robust and reliable - even given the butane lighters problems with water, cold, etc. I still think a simple Bic and a large firesteel is the best two-item survival combo to have. I also carry waterproof tinder, a fresnel lens, some waterproofed matches, a normal candle, and a few of those trick birthday candles as well. I am not overly concerned about the one-handed deal, but I do have two BlastMatches at home (which I usually do NOT carry hiking - maybe I should!)

#164610 - 01/23/09 07:22 AM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: falcon5000]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Thank for the review!

I was going to pick one of these up, but I think I'll stick with my current fire steel for the time being.

#164638 - 01/23/09 02:18 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: haertig]
GoatMan Offline

While the sparky doesn't sound that great, on a different topic, I noticed in one of your pictures that you put stuff in what looks like the "waterproof wallet". I purchased one of these and took it on vacation. Three seperate tests swimming in the ocean with it and it leaked all three times. You would think that I would have learned from the first experience, but I tried to ensure it was fully sealed. It was, but both sides leaked. You may want to test yours for extended periods or put in through a wash cycle. Afterwords you may reconsider it as a waterproof container.

#164685 - 01/23/09 06:07 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: Todd W]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: ToddW

-Todd

Do you mean Aurora Fire Starter by Solo Scientific? It is a fire starter with greatest amount of magnesium that is directly integrated into the rod. From the videos on the Internet it seems this is the most powerful sparker on the market. Does anyone own it? If so, can you share some experience with it? Thanks.

#164719 - 01/23/09 08:31 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: GoatMan]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Good catch GoatMan with the waterproof wallet, I had got that when i had gotten the sparky to give me more room for the PSK and hadn't even got to test it for water yet. I have a vacuum sealer at the house and have been putting the contents of a lot of items in freezer bags cut to go in the space and pulling a vacuum on them to gain as much room in those pouches and add as a extra waterproof protection. Most everything in the kit can be submerged without concern for the bag but I will look at the bags design and have to make sure if I continue with it that water resistance will have to be ruled out. What did you end up going with, I'm trying for max space with min volume and using vacuum bags are helping a lot in squeezing more items in the little space that I have.

#165329 - 01/27/09 08:06 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: ]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
[quote=falcon5000]<snip>

OK, here we go again...

Pure flint does not spark at all.
With a flint and steel, it is ONLY the steel that burns.
All of the firesteels have NO flint in them...
With a firesteel, it is ONLY the fero rod that burns.
It is made out of Mish-metal, which is a combination of several of the rare earth elements(which are rather interchangeable as they are all so close in molecular structure that they all behave almost identically).
Some do add magnesium to help.
They can be 'sparked' by ANY sharp, hard object. Broken glass works great, as does any of those carbide knife sharpeners. A REAL flint works great to 'spark' them with too!
What you may have heard about needing carbon steel to strike a flint with, does NOT apply to a firesteel, as it takes the place of the STEEL in a flint and steel set, not the flint. And the steel striker takes the place of the flint!
Mish-metal, aka firesteel, aka ferrocerium is a VERY soft metal and so can be cut by steel(and MANY other things). Steel is softer than flint and so can be cut by flint.
Mish-metal is VERY much softer than flint and and therefore be cut VERY easily by flint.

I know I get a little too perturbed about this, but knowing how these things work, makes them a LOT easer to use when thing are not going right, and you have to improvise.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 296 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.