Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164134 - 01/21/09 11:48 AM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: Stu]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I carry a Leatherman Wave myself. It is part of my EDC and it goes with me into the woods along with my SAK. Personally, I like it. However, I would like to get one of Doug's knife.

For an emergency situation, the Wave or SAK is fine, but I would like some a bit more robust. Since a Wave typically goes for around $65, I would think that you would be able to find a decent knife in that price range, if you haven't already bought the Wave.

Beyond that, I like the saw on the Wave, the ability to open the blades with one hand, and the pliers. I believe the Wave is what Les Stroud carried with him on his show.

#164139 - 01/21/09 12:07 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: Mike_H]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Les Stroud carried a wave and used it all the time. But in the last season he also started carrying the buck 119 hunting knife, which has a big (6 inch?) blade.

If you are hiking/camping the problem with the wave or a big fixed knife is that they're heavy - the wave weighs half a pound.
I find that a folding knife that locks and a keychain SAK (for the scissor mostly) is all I need for hiking. And the combo weighs only 3 or 4 ounces.

If you still want a plier/wirecutter multitool, consider the LM squirt S2. Pliers, excellent scissors, serviceable knife, and selection of screwdrivers. No saw or file though. But it weighs half what the wave weighs.

#164141 - 01/21/09 12:15 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: tomfaranda]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
If you still want a plier/wirecutter multitool, consider the LM squirt S2. Pliers, excellent scissors, serviceable knife, and selection of screwdrivers. No saw or file though. But it weighs half what the wave weighs.

You mean Juice S2. Yeah, I'll vouch for it. It was my first Leatherman and never let me down.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#164163 - 01/21/09 02:46 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: Rodion]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Because a lot of what I do in the wild revolves around technology these days (hunting, fishing, geocaching), and because I am such a gadget man anyways, having my LM along in the wild is probably more practical for me than most. Thinking more in terms of gear repair than actual knife duty in its own right, the LM is a most expedient thing for me to have along.

SAKs are a decent alternative.

#164178 - 01/21/09 04:08 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The Wave II is a useful and capable tool. I carry one all the time and have never had cause to regret it.

The Wave's blades are adequate, but I agree with others who suggest carrying a stronger blade if heavier work is likely.

For day hikes or weekend backpacks, I take my Wave plus a lightweight folder.

P.S., Les's multitool looked like a Surge to me. Bigger blades. But I've only seen a few of his shows.

#164181 - 01/21/09 04:26 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Straight off of the Discovery website, Q&A with Les:

Quote:
Q: I've watched several episodes of your show and I've noticed that you always carry the same "multi-tool." What type is it? Which items do you use that a good-sized, fold-up knife does not have? Which feature, besides the blade, is the most useful to you and why?

A: My favorite multi-tool is the Leatherman Wave. Other than the multi-tool, an ax is an amazing item to have. Don't forget to keep a sharpening file with it and learn how to sharpen — it makes a big difference. A bandana is always useful and, of course, a fool-proof way to start a fire is essential.

There is no question that having a multi-tool or fold-up knife with a saw blade is a fantastic advantage. That little saw blade makes fashioning tools and traps a lot easier.

#164187 - 01/21/09 04:57 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: ]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
He seems to fluctuate between a Wave and Surge. Season 1 was mostly Wave and Season 2 was all Surge. Most of Season 3 was fixed blade.

Good point... I thought I saw something different there too. Definitely saw the fixed blade in Season 3.

Good catch!

#164188 - 01/21/09 04:59 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: Markok765]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I think the Wave would serve you just fine as your main implement. You say you won't be picking up an extra knife, so consider spending a little more money for one of the Leatherman 'Charge' models and you'll get better steel for the main knife blade.

Regarding multitools in general, I used to forgo my Charge when on the trail since I rarely needed more than the knife & saw blades. But, I have since realized that the pliers, screwdrivers, file and scissors will come into play much more if I have to cannibalize various items in a "real" situation. I think Les Stroud is right to counsel survivors to be ready to modify any available item to enhance their chances, and I think this is where the multitool really shines. It will be a critical asset when things go wrong, not so much when they go right.

So now I have the Charge and the Ritter Mk1 with me both on the trail and for EDC.

#164202 - 01/21/09 05:45 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: NightHiker]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Rodion

Yes, i meant the juice S2 - not a squirt.

There's no question that if I was trying to live a week off the scraps of a crashed plane, or wrecked RV, as per Les Stroud, a LM wave, charge, or surge would be the choice.

My only issue with them is they weigh too much when hiking, since I'm pretty lazy.

#164209 - 01/21/09 06:08 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: tomfaranda]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
I recently watched "Survival School" on Hulu, where they filmed a five-month Air Force SERE school class. Each student had an axe, a Kabar like fixed blade, and a multitool (usually a Wave).

I carry a Wave, and use it for everything, but would not want to baton wood pieces (for kindling) with it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 529 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.